Particle Simulator 3D orbit object

YPP
YPP Posts: 4

Hia people. I have a huge issue that is driving me crazy. Using Hitfilm Pro 11 and can not for the life of me get the proper settings to orbit particles around an object. It either goes behind or in front. It will not circle the object in 3D space. I'm using 2 points one attached to the other and offset approx. 50 pix. It rotates fine but will not rotate in front and behind the object. Can anyone please put me straight on this. I did it once a while ago but nothing seems to give me the proper 3D effect now. I have researched tutorials. One in particular (no pun intended) is of a green screen matte of a fellow and the particles circle around him. I followed the instructions to a tea and it will not rotate around him in 3D space. What am I doing wrong? Thank you !!

Comments

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 386 Enthusiast

Im not real good with the differences of 2d, 3d, and 3d unrolled but I would try messing with those as all as increasing the offset.  Look at it in perspective mode to see if it is indeed clearing the front and back.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,250 Ambassador

Particles/models by default are in 2D mode. This renders the particles/models as a 2D layer then passes them to the effects engine for processing.

3D mode renders to a flat plane in 3D space and isn't usually useful for particles/models. 

3D unrolled calculates particle/model layers but does not render until the layer stack reaches a 2D layer, like a masked photo/video layer or a Grade. This means 3D Unrolled layers cannot have effects.

For 3D unrolled you'll need your model and particles both set to 3D unrolled and make certain no 2D layers separate them. 

One other option in Pro is to use "Depth Layers." In the layer controls for the particles, set depth layer to the model, and vice versa. In this case you leave both layers in 2D mode, but you'll be able to use effects on the layers. Depth Layer is relatively new in Hitfilm and if you only have a couple of 3D models or particle sims can be the best option. 

• YPP

Thank you very much. I will re address it and get back to you with my results.

Regards,

Rick 

• YPP

Thank you very much gentleman. I set all elements to 3D and the particle Simulator to 3D unrolled and whalla "There it was" a particle circling an object in 3D space. Thank you very much. This has been bothering me big time. Really appreciate your feedback. 

Cheers ,

Rick Yeoman

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,250 Ambassador

Glad to help! :) 

This discussion has been closed.