Brigham VS Eli: A Lightsaber Battle- TriforceFX's Lounge

triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator
edited January 21 in Show off

I've posted quite a bit on this forum, but I haven't shown off any of my work. That's because until now, there wasn't any (or at least anything recent...). Here's something I made yesterday using HitFilm. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHvzL2n8BXY

I've set it up so that this title can be used in any video. Even better, it's customizable! I can easily throw in any background I want just by adding a layer, and it will transition into any underlying video. It was a bit difficult to set up the masks, but I think the result works well. 

The clip is from a video I made years ago. Yes, I'm the one getting smacked.

Let me know what you think!

Comments

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

Due to time and logistical constraints, it’s been nearly 3 years since my last big YouTube short. While I’ve remained interested in filmmaking (and involved in this community), I felt a bit rusty when I started this project with my cousin. It’s still ended up being my most time consuming and VFX heavy project yet!

I will mention that this video contains a number of “in-jokes”, hopefully you’re still able to enjoy it though. 

Let me know what you think, especially about the VFX!

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,168 Moderator

@triforcefx I did not spot any slippage on your saber blades.  They were well done, and I especially like that the blade went out before it the water cause that saved all kinds of VFX of steam and whatnot :) I think I like the alternate ending because it calls back to the old proverb about revenge a little.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

@tddavis I’m sure if you went frame-by-frame, you’d notice a good bit of slippage, but I’m glad it’s not really noticeable on a normal watch-through! The blade in the water was actually still a VFX shot using the wire removal tool, but I didn’t want to spend time with lightsaber water physics, plus it would have detracted from the rest of the shot IMO.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,708 Ambassador

@triforcefx Love that long shot of the combatants on the rocks at sunset (at 3:05).  Very cinematic!

@Stargazer54 We got lucky with that shot, we only had one day to film and by the time we got to that shot, the timing was just right. It was almost bad though because we were losing light quick and still needed to film the final scene.