Take a Seat : Star Trek

DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

I've been a bit limited over the past couple of weeks but easing myself gently back into filming.

Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,708 Ambassador

Nice!   Another good one.

You do a great Scotty!

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,294 Ambassador

Absolutely fantastic! As I said in the video comments, I can't wait to show my son!

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

Sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch...or push the button.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,294 Ambassador

Neil and my wife loved it. It was very fun, so thanks again!

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

Excellent. Thank you all

@stargazer54 After a number of re-takes I actually had to re-write this line:
    "Captain, can you remind your crew this is a starship no a playset. Every button, every wire, every blinking light is vital in keeping the Enterprise functioning in deep space with us in it."
    into
    "Captain, can you remind your crew this is a starship no a playset."
    as I kept slipping into a Geordie accent.  

@NormanPCN I think I could have held the button scene even longer but the 7 seconds or so of doing nothing just feels an eternity in stop-motion time.

@FilmSensei Really glad it was well received. A very small 'thank you' for all the inspiration and advice over the past couple of years.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

Some particularly good camera angles in this one. Really shows off how good your bridge set is. 

Poor George.

At least it wasn't this button! 

https://tenor.com/K5Gx.gif

@triem23 Thanks. I was conscious of the camera angles as the characters were so spread out. Some of the shots are right at the very limit and, if you want to look closely, the outside world peeks in on occasion.

I always wanted George to have a seat on the bridge so he can be more involved. That part of the bridge is often empty on the series which is where the one button idea came from. I just needed to find out what it did. I then remembered a conversation with the person who was emptying the vending machine at work
    Vending person : "Won't be long. I know how people need their coffee"
    Me : "I'm actually going for the French Onion soup"
    Vending person "Really??? Nobody has selected that in weeks."
    Me : "That's how long it's taken for me to recover from the last one."

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

Hah! Who knew the French Onion soup was drawn from life!

• GavinBarkerGavinBarker Staff Website User Posts: 98

I loved the singular button, followed by the nervous look back and forth...it's amazing just how much humour you're able to draw from small little moments like that.

Plus the end card with Scotty smacking the links was such a small moment, but it exuded so much confidence on your part...brilliant!

@GavinBarker Thanks, as always. 

I will admit there are times when I think "what are you animating this for?" then surprise myself.  There is a half-turn at 01:02 which was only animated because it fit the dialog and it wasn't until much later I thought "that looks right!"

• Xhan47Xhan47 Website User Posts: 148

@DafterThings

Great stuff!!!

Was looking forward to a new Dafter Things video and this one did not disappoint.

Like Stargazer said you do a great Scotty. (Sounded almost identical to Simon Pegg's.) 

The body language in the characters and the little things like moving a chair back and forth really added a lot to the comedy.

Plus the fact that they're watching the Charlie finger video.

Loved the onion soup, recommended videos transition.

edited March 2019

@xhan47

Thanks for all this.

The "Charlie bit my finger" was quite subtle so good job picking up on it.  It's to be a running theme. I did the same in 'Passing the Time' and referenced it in the 'Officer's Xmas Party ' but I think the audio made it difficult to hear.
    <edit> Actually, looking again, I messed up the dialog on the Xmas Party.
    Bones should have said "I'm a Doctor, Jim. I'm here to look after your minds as well as your bodies."

There were originally two outros .
    One had George drink and say "That's actually quite nice". The other had him drink and spit it out, either on the floor or on the screen,   saying "That is disgusting". 
    Both seemed weak so was happy when the soup transition popped into my head.
    Glad it worked. 

• Xhan47Xhan47 Website User Posts: 148

@DafterThings

Welcome.

Thanks.  yeah, I only caught it in this one. (Don't think I've seen Passing the time yet.)

Yup. The final one definitely works way better.

• SXethelySXethely Website User Posts: 7

Amazing work! Wow

@sxethely many thanks.

Working on the next one and then it's time to do one of 3 larger animations.
    @kiplake *please* let me know if I can, at least, consider using the lines you sent me for When Darkness Falls.

• KiplakeKiplake Website User Posts: 53 Just Starting Out

@DafterThings of course. Sorry I did not see this right away.  Was having some computer problems and then found I was logged off. If you need any other lines, just let me know.

• RogyrueRogyrue Website User Posts: 170 Just Starting Out

Well done with the short film , as I mentioned before its the voice acting that kills the immersion for me in to this world. You can get some voice actors who are stating out and will work for free try the below website , have friends who used it and its got a good rep

https://www.castingcall.club/homepage

• maneo11maneo11 Website User Posts: 125

Great stuff. Always enjoy your animations, seamless and fun and well executed. 

@Rogyrue Thanks. I know what you mean about voice actors. The lines I have been given for the Gotham story are really fantastic. It's interesting to do if for something special but, frankly, it feels a bit more 'projecty' and takes away a little of the spontaneity of somebody doing this for fun in the spare room. Basically a bit more like work than play.

@maneo11 Many thanks. Next one is scheduled for tomorrow. I really hope people get it as it relies on people knowing their Star Trek original series.