3D space

Joevahkiin
Joevahkiin Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

I downloaded a 3D model of a doom map and I want to put 2D images into 3D space within the map. The 2D images don't play very well with the 3D map, they don't show in proper 3D space. They don't get obscured by objects in front of them and they just seem to disappear behind a certain distance form the camera as if the map is just a 2D image. Also the camera acts as a plane and if I rotate it, I see the 3D map on a rectangle in front of me and just empty black space to the side. I've never used the 3D aspect of hitfilm before, could anybody help me.

Comments

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

Here you go...

Understanding HitFilm's Camera - Part 1:

Understanding HitFilm's Camera - Part 2:

Understanding HitFilm's Camera - Advanced Rigging: 

• Joevahkiin
    Joevahkiin Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

these videos are very informative but I didn't see any solution to my current problem.Save Draft

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert

@Joevahkiin

Scroll down till you see 3D cameras in Hitfilm. May help.

https://fxhome.com/video-tutorials#/advanced

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast
    edited February 2019

"They don't get obscured by objects in front of them and they just seem to disappear behind a certain distance form the camera as if the map is just a 2D image"

I'm going to take a whack at this but I'm terrible at reading between the lines.

Turn the 2D image(s) into a 3D layer - that way you can move them in Z space. If the 3d model is is at world center (zero  Z space) you can push it back in Z space if you need to but really it should just be a zero and flipped 90  degrees (laying flat and aligned to  the grid floor plane).  You can scale your map up...but the more you scale it up the worse it will look unless it has at least 2k textures

The empty black space is because the model map plane  just isn't big enough to cover the entire 3D world. If you are using big camera moves that show the edges of the map model you will need to put a world environment into the scene so when the camera moves you seen no black...but rather your 3d world.

Now....with all that said...I have no clue about your work flow so this is literally a stab in the dark. Sorry if I'm way off base.

This discussion has been closed.