Motion Blur and Tracking

pinthenetpinthenet Website User Posts: 150 Just Starting Out

Normally it is recommended to use the 180° rule when filming to get a more natural result. Is this also advisable if the intention is to perform 2D or 3D (Mocha) motion tracking? Wouldn't it be better to use a higher shutter speed then add motion blur after tracking? The sharper frames should improve tracking accuracy, or?

Comments

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

As far as the first part, the 180 rule is primarily for cuts between multiple angles of a scene. Usually preventing disorientation is one of the reasons people give for sticking to the 180 rule. If you are doing something in a single shot, then it doesn't matter because there's nothing to get disoriented about- you see exactly where you are going. If you cut within the scene though, you'll probably want to use the 180 rule for that cut. For example: The Avengers- they went well over 180 for that famous group shot.

To put it simply, if you aren't making any cuts, you don't need to worry about the 180 rule. 

As far as shutter speed, you are right. Higher is better for motion tracking. Masking and keying too. I would play with it a bit to make sure you get something that tracks well but still looks good, because if you go too high, even adding motion blur in post won't help.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,272 Ambassador

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. There's no hard-and-fast rule, here. Motion blur in post is tricky. Hitfilm's algorithm only works well on linear shake, not z-moves. 

• pinthenetpinthenet Website User Posts: 150 Just Starting Out

@triforcefx Sorry I meant the 180° rule where the shutter speed should be twice the frame rate - 1/60s for 30fps. I forgot that there were two 180 rules.

@Triem23 thanks for that, my next question would have been 'where to activate motion blur:

- on the composite shot

- on the layer(s)

- using the effect "Blur/Motion Blur"

Are there any tutorials?