Hitfilm express 12 - Viewer slows down too much when playing or freezes (only video, audio plays ok)

I started to work on a project in version 11, where I use several 1080p .mp4 videos in a composite shot and a moderate load of effects on them as color grading transfer, auto light flares, speed and green screen keying effects.

My computer specs are in the lower limit of what is required for running Hitfilm, but in this case I think it becomes irrelevant since in Hitfilm 11 I got descent results, I've been able to manage my way to create the composite shot without performance problems (lowering viewer resolution, etc). I get a bit slow playback in the edit, but manageable.

The problem is that I'm not getting the same viewer's performance in version 12, I had to switch back to version 11 in order to continue working.

Playback in the viewer, even with the lowest resolution and quality, becomes too choppy (at least way more choppy than in version 11) and if the tape head is moved manually, it freezes while audio keeps playing.

Is there any setting that I need to consider to adjust in order to get a good viewer performance?.

Comments

• BIGSKITTLEBIGSKITTLE Website User Posts: 5

It's really not a problem in the viewer itself. I'm not aware of anything that can help you with that, but I think it's safe to say that won't hurt the project itself. If you  were to export it, it would render and come out the way you hoped it would. However, if you were to say, stretch out a video using the stretch tool and use a composite shot, there might be issues.

• trvoptrvop Website User Posts: 7

I'm working with x264 encoded MP4 files. Although it stutters unbearably while overlaying video of a similar format, it played fine after encoding it as an Mp4 1080p 'youtube' file.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

What are your system specs? OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, and free hard drive space. You said they're in the "lower limit" of the listed specs, but didn't give any details.