Updating Intel GPU drivers (Windows) for 2019

Triem23Triem23 ModeratorModerator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,326 Ambassador
edited February 2019 in General

@CleverTagline @Stargazer54 @Aladdin4d @NormanPCN @tddavis @FilmSensei @CedricBonnier

(Tagging the above so you guys know I wrote this. I think it's become important. Cedric, based on this thread the website FAQ on driver updates may need revision.)

While the devs have stated they've found a couple issues on older Intel GPUs, I want to address driver updates, because I suspect many users incorrectly think their Intel drivers are current. 

Intel has changed the format of, and delivery method for drivers as of November 2018. As far as I can tell updating Intel Drivers now requires Intel's Driver Assistant software. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

For reference, my most recent Intel driver is mid-Jan, 2019 (put exact revision/date here next time on comp). If your driver is older than that, you need to update.

Edit: for those of you I tagged, again, we've had multiple threads from Hitfilm users saying "I got the 'old driver' warning and checked my drivers, but they're current, but Hitfilm says they're old!" (example https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/49172/driver-out-of-date#latest  You'll also see FilmSensei, in the post below, got a bit of a run around on some driver updates. To be explicit, if you guys see another similar driver update issue thread, send them here (I hope the Intel Driver Assistant link  above  becomes the "easy fix.")

I remain pretty certain it's the Intel change and some of OEM policies keeping users on old drivers, and, if we can figure out how to get them on current drivers, it's just better for all. And I know you guys, as fellow mods and/or really helpful people can help us nail this down and hopefully prevent users from hitting Support with driver update questions. Again, Cedric, if I'm right, then a FAQ update will give us somewhere to direct users. 

Comments

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,315 Ambassador
    edited February 2019

@Triem23 Thanks for tagging me!

I have a secondary problem to this. I have a Lenovo H530 with an Intel HD 4600 GPU. If I run the Driver Assistant, it tells me that I cannot update through Intel, but instead I have to update through the OEM (Lenovo) and then closes without giving me any choice. When I go through Lenovo, they say I am up to date. The most current Driver through Lenovo is version 10 from four years ago! The workaround for me is to download a zip file of the most recent driver directly from Intel (currently version 20, see below), and uninstall the whole card. Then when it wants to reinstall, I point it to the unzipped file folder of the most recent driver, therefore bypassing the OEM check. I just did this on Thursday when HitFilm V12 came out, so I am most likely up to date. I am on Version 20.19.15.5058 from last August.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,326 Ambassador

@FilmSensei interesting to note. Another wrinkle, I see! 

Part of why I pointed out the Intel change is some of the bug reports coming in for HF12 and users insisting their drivers are up to date  but also saying "I checked."

Yeah, but the most recent driver is under three weeks old! That's more "I just updated" than "I checked," so I figured users were getting incorrect information, somewhere.

Justin, if I remember correctly, you Mac guys are dependent on Apple for driver updates? I remember a year and a half ago the Blender Mac team all quit because they kept getting stuck on years-old drivers! 

• Wolf17AwesomeWolf17Awesome Website User Posts: 9

@Triem23 My driver dates back to 2018, so indeed, it does appear to be old. However when I do the scan on the link provided there are no new drivers available to me. And when I attempt to manually download the newest driver I get a popup saying this driver is not for my system. So I am confused as to why I am told my drivers are up to date when clearly they are not. 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,444 Enthusiast

Why does this make a difference? If Intel changed the way their drivers worked in November, but beta versions from about that time performed just like the release version does, do we know that the devs used absolutely the latest drivers during development anyway? 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,326 Ambassador

@Wolf17Awesome it's possible this is a bug in whatever code Hitfilm is using to detect drivers. You might need to open a support ticket after all. 

@Palacono, no, but see FilmSensei's post above about Lenovo feeding him a four year old driver. Old drivers are only one possible problem, but, long term, since we KNOW Intel changed their delivery system (there's infotext from Intel at the top of the above link in my initial post), and at least one OEM makes it difficult to update (Lenovo, probably others), don't we want to help users possibly get off years obsolete drivers rather than potentially have them give up on (and blame) Hitfilm? As always, just trying to help.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,204 Moderator

@Triem23 Good information to know, and I thank you for including me in a group of far more technical whizzes than myself. :)  Made a text doc of the link for handy reposting if needed even though I tend to avoid technical questions as a rule because of my obvious lack in that department.

@tddavis but you're one of the most helpful dudes on the forum. Plus, you often underestimate yourself  sir. ?

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,061 Ambassador

@Triem23 "Justin, if I remember correctly, you Mac guys are dependent on Apple for driver updates?"

Pretty much. All video driver updates come when updates/patches are released for the OS. They're not updated independently (though I sometimes wish they were). So as of right now, I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6...and that's all I know. Even when looking in the System Information app, under Graphics/Displays, there's not a lot of info about the GPU, and nothing that I can see about the driver versions (below is copied and pasted from that app):

Intel Iris:
      Chipset Model: Intel Iris
      Type: GPU
      Bus: Built-In
      VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
      Vendor: Intel
      Device ID: 0x0a2e
      Revision ID: 0x0009
      Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

From what we saw last year when Mojave was released, the provided drivers from Apple were apparently buggy. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I never update to the latest-and-greatest version of macOS for this specific reason. I always wait until I've seen multiple confirmations that the apps that I use the most heavily have been tested and confirmed to work on the new version.

The one benefit to using a Mac is that it's a lot easier for developers to solve certain problems related to hardware because the hardware options for Macs are known and very narrow. The downside is that the hardware is optimized based on what Apple chooses, and there are very few things the user can change after purchase. For example I made my own RAM upgrade to my MacBook Pro a few years back before getting the Mac mini. However, the mini version purchased doesn't have user-accessible RAM (some videos I found show users popping off the bottom to get to the RAM, but my machine doesn't have that capability), so I'm left to paying someone at an Apple store if I want a RAM upgrade...which I could really use, but currently can't afford, so...yeah.

So for now, my hunch is that anyone using any fairly-recent version of HitFilm on any Mac that's running the recommended OS versions (10.11, 10.12, and 10.13) is operating with pretty smooth sailing, even though we don't yet have the GPU optimizations in HitFilm 12. Anyone using any version of HitFilm with a Mac running Mojave is taking a gamble, because from what I've seen, even the patch that FXhome released last fall didn't completely fix the issue for Mojave users (and I'm assuming that patch has carried forward into newer HitFilm releases).

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

@CleverTagline said "Anyone using any version of HitFilm with a Mac running Mojave is taking a gamble, because from what I've seen, even the patch that FXhome released last fall didn't completely fix the issue for Mojave users"

This problem has never once reared it's ugly head to me  so I'm not convinced it's a real issue as I can't find anyone talking about it except this forum.

Even when looking in the System Information app, under Graphics/Displays, there's not a lot of info about the GPU, and nothing that I can see about the driver versions

In my case I can  find driver info by:  About This Mac> System Report/Software/GeForce : Get Info String: GeForce 12.0.21 355.11.10.50.10.103  I don't have an Intel so I can't direct you exactly but that should get you close..I'd look for Intel in the Software list

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,061 Ambassador

@GrayMotion I don't have an Intel entry in that Software category. I dug around quite a bit before posting earlier, but couldn't find anything in that app that gives more details about the Intel driver.

So you're running HitFilm on Mojave with no issues? Interesting. What hardware are you running it on? Maybe it's a hardware/software combo that's the problem.

• Wolf17AwesomeWolf17Awesome Website User Posts: 9

With the driver issues, I actually seemed to have been able to fix the issue. From my understanding, many mannufactors are basically limiting what drivers for your gpu you can and can’t have. And the intel thing is telling people their drivers are in date, because they are the most recent the manufacturer of their computer is supporting. This seemed to be the case with me, as Microsoft I said the manufacturer of mine. To fix this I went into the device manager and uninstalled the gpu and driver. A restart then allowed me to run the new drivers, and when I launched hitfilm 12 I did not get the message of outdated drivers. So I believe I have fixed it. For people whom are being told they have current drivers when they do not, likely it is the manufacturer’s fault but uninstalling the current driver should stop the system from incompatibility issues. 

@Wolf17Awesome thanks. Good information. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,734 Ambassador

@Wolf17Awesome Good troubleshooting!   And thanks for posting the find.

• WorldsOfConfusionWorldsOfConfusion Website User Posts: 5

Hi @Triem23

Sorry I only just saw my notifications saying you'd replied to my Hitfilm 12 driver issue. In answer to your questions; I used the Intel driver assist software but Intel said they were up to date, Hitfilm said they weren't and Hitfilm did not run well.  I have a Lenovo Ideapad 510 with an Intel i3 600U, 4GB ram and 64bit windows 10 . I tried V12 and V12.1, but haven't had time to try V12.2 yet as I resigned myself to the possibility that my laptop just couldn't cope with the new version. However, if you think 12.2 should work on my laptop then I'll give it another go. Currently getting an export error code 14 intermittently in V11.2 which I've posted about in a new discussion. Thanks so much for replying! I hope you're having a swell day. P.S. I re-watched your advanced camera rigging tutorial yesterday and finally cracked it. I can now animate, light and dolly in the 3D Hitfilm space; it's so cool! Thanks so much for your tutorials and help and aceness. Xen