Guardians of the Galaxy trailer

SimonKJones
SimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
http://youtu.be/pTZ2Tp9yXyM
Ah, tonally that is a perfectly pitched trailer. I've been excited about this ever since they announced James Gunn as the director - a ballsy and unexpected move and, judging from this, looks like it's paid off.

Comments

• ESPictures
    ESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    It looks a little Fifth Element-ish.  Kind of tongue-in-cheek.  I'm eager to see what he did with the movie.
    The nice thing is, the trailer didn't give the entire plot away.  A refreshing break from many trailers.
  • jobodhobo
    jobodhobo Website User Posts: 49
    Well. I think that it looks like it will be a fun movie. I don't think that there will be anything ground breaking or spectacular about it. But I do think that I will have a fun time with this film.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    jobo - making a scifi space opera that is good and entertaining would be pretty groundbreaking, based on the last 20 years of woeful pulp scifi cinema. :P
    ESP - yeah, it cleverly establishes characters and world without really going into the plot at all. Exactly what a teaser needs to do. Aside from the film looking great, it's also a bit of a masterclass in how to edit a trailer to sell a difficult concept.
  • Darren
    Darren Website User Posts: 164
    I thought this was great!  I used to be into comics in the 80s and some of the 90s but really didn't follow GOG.  I somewhat knew the characters and really wondered how they would pull this movie off.  I have to say that they did very well.
    The comical aspect of it was a great way to make me interested in it even though I don't know anything about them.  I'm looking forward to seeing more.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    This looks awesome. First off, this is what the Green Lantern movie should have been like. And there hasn't been a good space opera in... forever (all the way back to the Star Wars prequels, I think). I like Chronicles of Riddick, but I'm betting that this is going to be a much better movie than that. Nova Corp makes an appearance, setting up a possible Nova movie. Peter Serafinowicz is the movie (from Shaun of the Dead and the voice of Darth Maul). And I just want to point out that the titles at the end of the trailer look very 1970's and remind me a lot of the opening titles for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy TV show. I was looking forward to this, but after seeing this trailer I'm really excited.  
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
    I know. ;-) Good eye.
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,145 Expert
    Do guys think it'll have anything to do with the Infinity Gauntlet?  
  • Triem23
    Yeah, or something similar. Infinity Gems and Cosmic Cubes are basically the same thimg. Gems are just "tuned," and we've seen Thanos. But, I will go out on a limb and say Infinity Gauntlet is Avengers 3.
  • SimonKJones
    Yep, and the Infinity Gauntlet is glimpsed in the Asgard weapons room in Thor 1, and at the end of Thor 2 there's hints that the infinity gems are being gathered - first the tesseract, then the aether. I suspect the orb that Quill is stealing in the trailer might be another.
    I'm quite intrigued that they're building up to such a huge and crazy storyline from the comics. Takes some courage to go down that route. As Triem says, I suspect Thanos will be the big climax in Avengers 3 - which will likely also mark a turning point for the whole franchise, possibly with recasting/rebooting etc following.
  • Triem23
    Agh! I KNEW we'd seen the Infinity Gauntlet somewhere already! Couldn't remember where!
    It's interesting structure for the Marvel Movie Universe to attempt this kind of long-scale sotrytelling, and we'll see if it works out. They seem to be planning something like 12 movies ahead!
  • fredclips
    fredclips Website User Posts: 228
    It's interesting structure for the Marvel Movie Universe to attempt this kind of long-scale sotrytelling, and we'll see if it works out. They seem to be planning something like 12 movies ahead!

Just having a couple of movies a year that interconnect (like the comics do) seems to work.
    They don't all have to be great and they don't all have to appeal to everyone. I don't really care for Captain America, to grounded/boring for me :)
    Much prefer something over the top, this for example looks great.
    The plan is working, my first daughter went to see Thor 2 not long ago and didn't mind it. She had NO interest in these movies up to and including the Avengers. But as they are being shown all the time she is starting to know who the characters are! At this point she would probably go and see Avengers 2 without being dragged.
    Did anybody watch Film Junkies the other week? I believe the joke was something about "DC must be pissed they cannot get a good Wonder Woman, Justice league movie made and Marvel are making one about a talking raccoon"
    I lol'ed.

• SimonKJones
    edited February 2014
    Well, this is the thing. The DC comics world is every bit as camp and arch and crazy as the Marvel universe, probably more so, especially in terms of their lead hero characters. But for some reason with Batman and Superman they've gone down a gritty, dark route which makes it exceedingly difficult to pull off characters like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern etc etc without the tone being all wrong.
    The biggest irony of it all is that Whedon was developing a Wonder Woman film for them for quite a while, but it fell apart due to good ol' creative differences. Next thing you know he's over at Marvel making The Avengers and turning the Marvel movie franchise into a complete behemoth.
    I can't help but think that if DC/WB want to get a big DC universe on screen, the first thing they need to do is get away from the Nolan-influenced tone (as much as I love the first two Dark Knight films and all his other work except TDKR).
  • Triem23
    DC needs to bring in Paul Dini to do some scripts. Dini's scripts and script editing on Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited certainly established Dini's knowledge of the characters as well as his ability to write a good story. I would have suggested Dwayne McDuffie as well, but he's, sadly, no longer with us.
  • SimonKJones
    Dini also wrote the Arkham Asylum game which had an excellent story. It also managed to blend a gritty feel with the more fantastical elements like Killer Croc. 
  • Triem23
    Boy, first time I saw "Batman:Mask of the Phantasm, " (in it's movie theater release, Christmas Day '94, with a buddy from college)... That, my friends is my favorite Batman movie.

"Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker" (Director's Cut) has the single most disturbing thing to ever happen to any version of Robin.

To at least digress to the Marvel Universe, any opinions on Fantastic Four casting?
  • SimonKJones
    It's a good cast in terms of acting ability. All quite leftfield for the roles, so not really sure what to think at this point. FF are meant to be a family, so having relatively normal looking people in the roles works well, at least.
    As with all of the non-Marvel Marvel films, it seems a shame that they're firewalled off from the main Avengers continuity. Whether you'd WANT to actually tie the stories together is a whole other thing, but to be prevented from doing so due to legal rights issues really annoys me as a storyteller.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Going back to Guardians of the Galaxy for a minute, I thought I'd post my two cents here.
    After watching this trailer, I felt fairly underwhelmed. The style was good. CGI was acceptable and everything seemed to be working together. However I had heard so many people say how excited they were for this movie, and I was just underwhelmed by this trailer that I would say is about par when it comes to quality. I didn't see anything to get me all that excited or interested in the film. Looked like a cookie-cutter marvel film to me.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    This doesn't look different from every other Marvel film that exists to you. Matthias?  The tone and comedy in this trailer are so different form every other Marvel film out there that I wonder whether you watched the same trailer as I did.  Marvel hasn't done a tongue-in-cheek, silly comedy of this sort before, that I have seen.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Ah darn it. I made a mistake. I knew the characters in this reminded me of something, specifically "starlord" and I figured it out. You are right. It doesn't look like a Marvel movie. My bad. It looks like another JJ Abrams Star Trek movie (with about half the lens flares). Star lord reminds me of Chris Pine's Captain Kirk. His actions and dialogue just seem so similar.
  • mark_e
    mark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
  • SimonKJones
    Agree with Axel that it feels quite different to the usual Marvel films - though it still has elements of their style weaved in, inevitably.
    The comparison to Abrams' Trek is actually quite valid. Abrams has tried to turn Trek into Star Wars and quite successfully captured the easy-going, rogueish Han Solo feel - which GotG also seems to be going for. I think the tone will fit far more naturally in GotG than it does in Abrams' Trek films, though.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,085 Staff
    edited February 2014
    Well that trailer looked hilarious :) Nice to see a seriously talented director doing a film where the special effects doesn't suffer because of the comedy. It's a great tone for a trailer but I hope it's not such a cavalcade of hilarity the whole way through the movie as that may get a bit annoying. 
    They don't go for the obvious jokes which is good. When the guard/soldier put on the headphones I was thinking, if he:
    a) starts dancing around to the music in an overly camp/talented way I am not watching this movie
    if he:
    b) does something else - I'm in!
    Time will tell I guess. 
    Also - I think I saw a green Cher at 1:53 ;)
  • SimonKJones
    edited February 2014
    Humour in blockbusters is an odd thing. When it's Michael Bay humour in Transformers it's obviously just plain crap. But then you look at the Marvel humour, which I personally love but which I know takes some people right out the of movie - The Avengers' light tone is what makes it so much fun for me, but doesn't work for others. On the other hand, I've increasingly found the Nolan style of action movie to be a bit tedious and po-faced, never quite managing to marry its seriousness with the camp source material.
    GotG looks like something else to me: it's not just about humour and being funny, but about having a bit of attitude to go with it. That's where the tone differs from other Marvel stuff: GotG appears to have sarcasm. That slightly anarchic vibe is even carried through on the poster:
    ku-xlarge.jpg
    So far, Marvel's marketing team are doing a great job of introducing the movie's attitude through the marketing materials. Presuming this is actually what the movie is like, of course...
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,085 Staff
    Ha ha - the poster:
    "You're welcome". Awesome.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    Starlord has been called the Indiana Jones/Han Solo mix.  So if Chris Pine's Kirk reminds you of him... well you know where everyone is basing their characters.  Especially since he was from earth and kidnapped in the 80s.  So i am sure he will easily be very kirk and Solo and Jones-esque as a character because that's what an 80s kid who had no further tv or film experience after the 80s would would most likely act like.
    They even have a classic green girl.  I don't know much, but my time as a trekkie has taught me... if a green alien woman offers you something... you take it.  It usually ends well. 
  • Triem23
    Gammora, the green girl, isn't exactly known for having lotsa sexy-time. Being raised as an assassin by Thanos tends to make one dangerous. Gammora would hurt Kirk... ;-)
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    Sometimes a little hurt works.
  • Aculag
    Aculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    This looks very refreshing compared with all the other Marvel films to date.  I've enjoyed watching the Iron Man and Thor movies and The Avengers, but I've increasingly wanted them to embrace the campiness, and stop trying to take things so seriously.  The worlds that they've created in these films are utterly ridiculous, so it's going to be nice to see a film that acknowledges that fact and doesn't try to play it straight for the most part.  After watching the rather formulaic and bland Thor: The Dark World last night, this is just the kind of thing I'm looking forward to.