HitFilm 12 Update

GavinBarkerGavinBarker StaffWebsite User Posts: 98

It's here. You read that correctly, HitFilm 12, the largest and most comprehensive update we've ever released, is now available! We're incredibly excited to make this update available to ALL of our HitFilm users, so whether you're Pro or Express here are just SOME of the new and updated features you can now enjoy

Read More

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,326 Ambassador

YAY!

(Do I get to chuckle that the release announcement went up ten minutes after I closed Hitfilm?)

• NighthawkNZNighthawkNZ Website User Posts: 18
    edited February 2019

From the quick look around I have had in the last 3/4 hour... looks great... and some nice upgrades... like text in the editor, not the compositor 

Will be editing video over the weekend...

• GavinBarkerGavinBarker Staff Website User Posts: 98

@Triem23 you CLOSED HitFilm!? How dare you sir! ;)

We're glad you're liking what you see so far @NighthawkNZ! Keep us updated on how you get on with some of the new features and updates over the weekend :)  

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,326 Ambassador
    edited February 2019

@GavinBarker Well, I was done working on my "Primeval Anomaly" for the night and returned to photo editing.

Photomatix 6 for the HDR creation, Imerge for the final touch ups. If I go from one FXHOME software package to another, all is forgiven, right? Especially for this awesome handheld HDR of the Sydney Opera House, shot on a 5DmkIV and Rokinon 12mm.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7826/32150174147_1bb8c77e28_o.jpg

• HitFilmer30362HitFilmer30362 Website User Posts: 6 Just Starting Out
    Thanks for the new version 12 update. Already working on a small education project. from Mozambique
  • Daniela_GDaniela_G Website User Posts: 1

Wow! Amazing! (Excuse my possible mistakes in English.)
    Before this update I gave up expecting clear images in Viewer when playhead was over transitions and texts. But now project plays wonderful in Viewer.
    I know there are a lot of other improvements, but this improvement was the most obvious for me.
    Thank you.

• pinthenetpinthenet Website User Posts: 150 Just Starting Out

I thought I'd read that there would be an update to the Mocha plugin with HF 12. My HFE12 plugin looks the same as in 11 and shows Version 5.5.1 build 13238, Build Date Apr 19 2017. Unfortunately I didn't note the version details before upgrading....

• ashleighfalzonashleighfalzon Website User Posts: 1
    I was having so many problems with slow performance in the editor and extremely long export times with the previous iteration of the HitFilm Express software, but the version 12 update seems to have eradicated all of those problems instantly. Thank you so much for a fantastic update!
  • ProteasProteas Website User Posts: 31 Just Starting Out
    I own Hitfilm for a few months, but never i used it for longer than a few minutes, because the Project Screen confused and discouraged me. Now, if i understood correctly, both, "Start Compositing" and "Start Editing" are available simultaneously when we start a new Project, i.e. we don't need to chose between "Compositing" and "Editing".
  • DannyDevDannyDev Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 338 Staff

@Proteas

The Start Compositing feature was removed in HF12 because you will typically create compositions around media, not from scratch, when starting a new project.

The typical workflow is to (a) import your source footage and (b) create a composite shot (via the media tree menu) from that footage. The new composite will use the source media's dimensions, framerate and duration which eliminates the guesswork previously required.

We can certainly add this feature back however, if there is enough demand.

@DannyDev The majority of my Hitfilm work is animation/mograph. I don't think I have ever, since HF2U, started a new project working in the Editor (unless I sent a clip over via Vegas integration).

And why didn't I say this a while ago?

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,953 Enthusiast

I am good with the start compositing mode removed. Happy to not have to always click start editing. I am a lazy POS so things like that I can appreciate. :-) 

@NormanPCN see, immediately an opposing viewpoint! This is one of those things where, no matter what, someone will be unhappy. I have an idea.... To the Wishlist! 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,444 Enthusiast

I always started by Editing, drag in my clip, drag it onto the Editor timeline where Hitfilm then creates the correct Project settings for me and I create a composite shot from there. I then save that to edit with in Vegas.

So now that process changes to New, Yeah-whatever-just-get-on-with-it, drag in media, drop on timeline, Yeah-of-course-just-change-it-to-match.

Only one extra step. Except now it's unusable on my hardware, I won't be using HF12 at all.

• RuffBit0RuffBit0 Website User Posts: 1
    Thank you sooo much hitfilm crew , Just Keep the faith that some of us love the opportunity to be able to create and manipulate visuals in the way we can ,, thanks to yahl… x
  • MercifullMercifull Website User Posts: 19
    "We’re incredibly excited to make this update available to ALL of our HitFilm users"... except those who's PRo sub ran out less than 2 weeks ago. Epic fail timing :( Downloaded 12 all excited and can't even use it. Does anyone know how I can at least downgrade because at the moment I can't even use the software I paid several hundred pounds (which is a lot fo an amateur who doesnt get paid for any video work) for.
  • tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,204 Moderator

@Mercifull Yes, FxHome has made it easy to install any older product that you ever had licensed to you on your account page.  Simply uninstall 12, then log into FxHome account page (from this forum  go up to the right and click the word account) and under the Software section find the version you had installed and click the word Install highlighted in blue.  You should be good to go. Hope this helps you get back to normal.

• PedroRosarioPedroRosario Website User Posts: 1
    I already have the previous express version 2017 with a paid add on feature. How can I update to 12? Is it possible to transfer the feature?

@PedroRosario you should get an update notice next time you open 11. You should just be able to download and install. Use the same email as your v11 (if prompted), and your existing add-ons should just transfer over. 

• NighthawkNZNighthawkNZ Website User Posts: 18

You can't please all the people all of the time, you can only please some of the people some of the time.

• jfiloujfilou Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out
    I haven't test it actually I'll install it soon
  • MercifullMercifull Website User Posts: 19

I've been able to download the version from 16th Jan so thanks for the guidance. Shame i can't use 12 though.

• GabrielTudorGabrielTudor Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 64 Just Starting Out

Triem23, Hi! I've just installed HF 12 and I see that Fullscreen is not actually full-screen on my PC. It leaves some empty spots on my display (all except top). Do you get the same? My display's resolution is 1980/1020.

https://i.postimg.cc/cstbswjW/Almost-full-screen.jpg

• DannyDevDannyDev Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 338 Staff

@GabrielTudor

Can you confirm that you're using an intel gpu? Please check that your drivers are up to date. 

Also there is a problem specific to intel 4000 gpus which is discussed here:

https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/49112/hitfilm-12-black-bar-issue#latest

• throwawaytodaythrowawaytoday Website User Posts: 2
    edited February 2019

I've recently updated to Hitfilm Express 12, but there's some issue with the top of the screen ( top bar,to close, minimize, etc) is visible but then it shows right below it copied and slightly pushed right. This makes all of the buttons lowered down but the click box is up higher than it is. Is there a fix to this? I've tried to reinstall it multiple times but it still appears to be the same every time it opens up...
    (Found problem, forget this comment)

• GabrielTudorGabrielTudor Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 64 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2019

@DannyDev I don't have a dedicated graphics card, yet. It's only my Intel i3 processor doing the job. And it's Intel 4400.

Another thing I spotted is if you lower the quality/resolution in the Viewer window, some elements start to jump around, like a cube I have in one of my projects. This never happened with HF 11.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,204 Moderator
    edited February 2019

Just saw that Videomaker magazine did a piece on the new Hitfilm 12 Roll Out.  Not sure if those in the FxHome office have seen it yet or not.  I thought I'd throw a link in here for interested parties:

https://www.videomaker.com/news/fxhomes-rebuilt-its-video-editing-software-with-hitfilm-v12-0/

• wattiewattie Website User Posts: 2
    edited February 2019

One thing I'm having troubles with is the new playback and how it keeps skipping and won't go to where I want it, saying 'playback is already in progress'.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,061 Ambassador

@wattie I can't find the thread where the skipping thing has been discussed more thoroughly, but until FXhome releases a patch to fix it, the workaround for now is to close the Layer tab (normally right next to the Viewer tab) when you don't need it. Not sure whether or not this will also address the playback message, but it might.