Can't Follow the Tutorials

HonestAbisiHonestAbisi Website User Posts: 2

I've not been able to wrap my head around the tutorials especially keyframing, which unfortunately is in the first tutorials  – Muzzle Gun Shots.

In the tutorials, the keyframes were shown by two small squares that stuck to the timeline. One was faded while the other one had a blueish colour, which showed that particular keyframe.

But, when I followed the tutorials, the blue square only appeared once and no matter what  I tried to do, it do not stick to more than one keyframe. I've searched online, read tutorials and even the reference manual yet to no avail. It was even a different shape that I saw in the manual.

I've attached a picture to show what I mean.

Please help me.

Comments

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,062 Moderator

First off, pictures cannot be directly attached to the forum- they must be posted to an external site, then linked here. (It would be nice if they could get rid of the photo attachment button all together, but I think it's something about the forum software that they can't change)

I'm not sure which version of HitFilm you're running and which version is shown in the tutorial, but keyframing has changed a lot over the years. Assuming you're using the current version 11, you might be a bit lost if you're following a tutorial from, say, version 2.

That being said, with keyframing, you enable the keyframing by pressing the circle next to the part of the effect that you want keyframed. Then you navigate to the frame that you want as the start of the effect and add a keyframe. You probably shouldn't mess with the first keyframe once it's been created, unless you need something to change to that point from the beginning of the clip. For a muzzle flash, move your playhead over one frame (use the period/full stop key) and add another keyframe either by pressing the add keyframe button or changing the effect you are on. Turn this one up to how you want the flash to look. Move over one more frame, then add another keyframe. Set this one back to the same settings as the first keyframe.

• HonestAbisiHonestAbisi Website User Posts: 2

Thank you!

I don't know how I will reply you but this is the picture

Image of screenshot

I hope it shows.

It should be the latest version. I downloaded it not up to six months ago.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,326 Ambassador

At least on my mobile browser, your image still isn't showing. 

I'll take exception to one thing @triforcefx writes. The Value Graph was added in Hitfilm 3 and keyframing in the Editor was added in Hitfilm 6, but the basics of keyframing have been consistent since Hitfilm 1.

You're mentioning bluish tints to keyframe icons. Sounds like you're viewing older tutorials from Hitfilm 1 and 2 since Hitfilm stopped using blue as an accent color in Hitfilm 3. Sounds like you're confused by an interface change that doesn't affect functionality.

Here's a three-part tutorial on animation. It was Produced in Hitfilm Pro 2017, but is accurate through Hitfilm 11 (except now you can also keyframe in the Editor Timeline). 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,061 Ambassador

@HonestAbisi I dug into the page source and found that you're trying to share an image from imgur.com. However, you can't use the imgur URL that you get from your browser's navigation bar as the source for an image on the forum. That's not a direct link to the image. Assuming you're on your imgur account and looking at your images, click the image you want to share here, and it'll open up a dialog with a bunch of links on the right: Image link, direct link, markdown link, etc. The one you want to grab is the direct link. Insert that into the image details popup here on the forum, and it'll insert the image properly.

I believe this is the image you were trying to share:

...and from what I see there, you're trying to follow this tutorial:

...and it looks you're trying to follow the part that talks about keyframing the mask, but you're getting stuck because the Path property (you omitted the name in your description above, and it's cut off in your screenshot, but I'm pretty sure that's it) isn't adding more keyframes as you move the mask.

This is because mask behavior changed a few versions back (I forget which exact version introduced the change, but it now more accurately reflects what's happening). The Path property now only tracks changes to the actual mask shape; i.e. the shape of the mask "path." To keyframe the position, you need to activate keyframes for the Position property.

In short, whenever Axel is setting keyframes on a mask's Path property, you should do this with the mask's Position property instead, and things should work.