Audio Noise Reduction?

TPV_ProductionsTPV_Productions Website User Posts: 31

I have tried everything but the Noise Reduction filter appears to be useless.. 

Comments

• TPV_ProductionsTPV_Productions Website User Posts: 31

I have tried everything but the Noise Reduction filter appears to be useless, All it does is just lower the volume and not do anything for the audio noise. 

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,042 Moderator
    edited February 2019

After playing around with it, it seemed to work perfectly fine for me... Move the playhead to a spot with only the background noise, press "Capture Noise Print". If there is still unwanted noise, move the playhead to another frame and hit "Add to Noise Profile". Play with the settings until you have something you like. 

What is your Playback Quality set for? (Viewer Options>Playback Quality) See if setting it to "Final" helps.

Also... and this has probably happened to multiple people on multiple occasions... Make sure you're using the Noise reduction under Audio (Not Denoise), and that it has been applied to the Audio track you're working with.

edited February 2019

I did all that nothing for me. I will make a video for you to review in case I am doing something wrong

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,042 Moderator

Are you trying to remove the breath in before the talking? If so, that's not gonna work very well because the breath is not a uniform sound. The only way to remove that would be to mute out the audio from that moment completely. The first half second or so is where the droning background noise is- that's where you want to take your samples from. With noise reduction, it's a balancing act... On the one hand, if it's too little, you will still hear the background noise. If it's too much, vocals and music starts to sound "robotic". If you balance it, you may still hear something background noise, but it shouldn't be too bad and you won't sound super robotic or muffled.

On a side note, even "professionals" have issues with noise reduction... There's an ad from a fairly large company I've seen recently where they obviously used WAY too much noise reduction and made the actor sound awful. I'm surprised they weren't able to get a better take. So the take away is that sound editing is way harder than it looks. Never say "I'll fix it in post" when you're talking about audio. 

Well I do video and graphics for a living, and I have used many applications that remove noise from Final cut to Avid.  Maybe it’s just my PC HitFilm does not like because it appears to be doing nothing. Audition works extremely well without overly reducing noise or a robotic sound. I exported a sequence where I replace the audio from Audition for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHRh1pjRf6w&feature=youtu.be

• DanEngererDanEngerer Website User Posts: 2

This tool literally does jack piss. I just paid $20 for it. How can I get a refund? 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 17,779 Ambassador

@DanEngerer I'd say there's user error here as I have never had issues with the tool (I also note Mods are user volunteers, not Staff). Are you making certain you select a Noiseprint frame first? Without defining a Noiseprint the filter can't know what to remove. 

But, for a refund, contact Support. It's the weekend, so I doubt you'll get a response before Monday, but the team is good at giving refunds. 

https://fxhome.com/questions/submit

This discussion has been closed.