Advice please help

Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 925 Enthusiast

Hi all, im making a short piece for demo reel and its about texting and driving.   I am using maya to simulate the car crash now my question is.... Is there an effective way on communicating the story clearly without ever showing a person in the car driving?  If so any suggestions..... 

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,171 Moderator
    edited February 2019

@Andersen01498 About the only thing I can think of would be animate the car in Maya and then add text screens above it to show the convo up the crash.  But why not show the person in the car?  Is it because it's too hard to shoot a moving car and driver?  You could use a stationary car with green poster board taped over the outside of the driver window and film them from the passenger side window rolled down or even up if there are no reflections (which can be minimized with a light spray of old fashioned hair spray) then composite in footage shot out the backseat of a car (with someone else driving, of course :) )  Unless you don't want to show that for story reasons.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

I'm with tddavis here. If the video is about texting and driving you pretty much have to show the person texting and driving.

There are multiple ways to fake this. tddavis brings up chroma key. There are others.

I'll give you the old "Troma" method, which was to shoot inside the car at a somewhat low angle looking slightly up out the window. If you have no trees/buildings outside (just sky) then you just have someone else step on the bumper and wiggle the car a bit as you shoot.

Otherwise, there's Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+shoot+a+car+scene+without+driving

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 925 Enthusiast

@triem23 @tddavis everything in the scene is going to be cgi..so that adds another level of complexity 

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,171 Moderator

@Andersen01498 Okay, understood.  Then the text bubbles idea is all I've got.  Hope someone else has more ideas.

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 925 Enthusiast
  • CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,029 Ambassador

An alternate approach would be to stage the scene with the camera directly above the car, looking straight down, following the car as it's moving along the road. Use text bubbles to indicate what the driver inside is doing with their phone. If you keep a fairly tight framing around the car, the crash can truly catch the viewer by surprise, echoing how it catches the driver by surprise when they're not looking at the road.

@CleverTagline Thanks I'll use something along those lines...you have made my life easier.  I have 3 weeks to make this.