Will I get HitFilm Pro 12?

Will I get HitFilm Pro 12 if I renew now? Or is it like a new piece of software I have to buy. Many thanks!

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@DerelictDigital I'm pretty sure the answer is yes you will.  You will get 12 months of whatever updates come out in that time.  Kind of like all who bought Hitfilm Pro November  2017 when it would  have ostensibly been called version 6 (except they dropped version numbers in the name) and went to 11 before everyone's 12 months expired this past November.  I just renewed my 12 months of updates yesterday so who know how many versions it go through before next January 30th? :)

• GavinBarker
    GavinBarker Staff Posts: 98

Good news @DerelictDigital, if you renew, HitFilm 12 will work in exactly the same way as any other update! So long as it falls within your 12 month period it's yours :) 

We've had a few people worried that  HitFilm 12 was a brand new piece of software that you pay extra for, but don't worry...it's just another update for HitFilm, we're just making a slightly larger deal out of this one ;) 

• Fox
    Fox Posts: 89 Enthusiast

So i did not renew my HFpro …  

Does that mean my version, does not get updated on the bugs and faults in common ?

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador

@FoxIf you didn't renew, you can only install updates that were released prior to your license expiration date. That said, you can renew at any time and kick off another 12 months of updates. The only benefit you would have gained by renewing during the recently-ended sale would have been a lower renewal cost. 

• Fox

That`s very unfair, its time to move on to another software.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,300 Moderator

@Fox - How is this unfair? You're not going to find a better offer anywhere else. In Adobe, if you don't renew, you are locked out of the software you were just paying for. In other software, you may get bug fixes until the next major version but once the major version releases, you won't get any updates until you pay for the next major version. When you purchase HitFilm Pro, you get a year of updates- both bug fixes AND major versions- for free. And once your Pro license expires, you get to keep and use your last available version forever. 

Sure, it sucks when a huge update (such as 12) comes out right after your Pro licence expires. It's not fun, but it is fair. Just remember that you got 12 months of major updates that the developer DIDN'T make you cough up for.

If you don't want to pay the upgrade fee just yet, try using Express for general things, then use your Pro install for anything you can't do in Express (Particles and 3D in particular). Even though your Pro might be a bit older, it is still just as capable years from now as it is today.

• TPV_Productions
    TPV_Productions Posts: 31 Just Starting Out

@Fox I have the Adobe CC subscription. I will be the first to tell you Adobe lately “Premiere Pro” in general has become very buggy / crash prone. I jumped on the January sale and have been experimenting with Hitfilm Pro. I have discovered some bugs and I have not created a complete large project yet, but from what I can tell it’s no worse in the bugs department than any other application you pay a lot more money for.  Cut FXhome a little slack it’s quite an undertaking to create an all in one FX editing solution for just $300. They have employees that need to make a living too and free only does not pay the bills.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador

@Fox you've been on this forum since 2012. In that time you would have seen all versions of Hitfilm come out. You pretty much know that there's always been a time when one needs to pay for upgrades. Certainly you're not still on your 2012 copy of Hitfilm 2 Ultimate? 

• Fox
    edited February 2019

I use HF Pro 2017… My version expired at Christmas ..

But i have serious problems … I cant edit 4K , when i work it allways frezze my intire system, it makes win 10 go down, everytime.  I wont pay to solve a problem that shut have been adressed as a fix path.

My sytem is powerfull brand new Asus i9 - 5Ghz.  8gb graficscard.  32 Mb ram. A very fast PC- Fully able to handle heavy stuff ..

• Triem23

@Fox if you used Hitfilm Pro 2017 your "upgrades" ended in November, 2017. The current system of licenses was implemented with "Hitfilm Pro - the version with no version number" in November, 2017. Just getting the names right. This is also where I'll drop my disclamer. Forum moderators no not work for FXHOME. We're long-time Hitfilm users who just have a couple extra forum abilities to kill spam.

Your Asus, if it's "brand new," then it shipped with the factory OEM drivers which are probably old and out of date. Have you run all critical OS updates and GPU driver updates? It's always amazing how many Hitfilm problems are caused by old drivers and how easy they are to fix simply by updating the driver. What anivirus are you running? Some antivirus software monitors all drive activity, which means the antivirus software is getting in the way of Hitfilm and causing problems. There's a whole bunch of not-Hitfilm-related stuff, from other software installed to hardware upgrades to OS issues (note that the 11.1 and 11.2 updates to Hitfilm are Mac-only bugfixes to fix issues in Hitfilm caused by changes Apple made to the core operating system).

Note when I'm discussing drivers, the is a highly complex issues. With Intel's 8th generation, there are 18 i7's, 22 i5's 10 i3's and the i9. With Nvidia's 10xx generation there are seven different GPU's. (18*22*10*7)=27,720 hardware combinations of just those components. Add in AMD and it gets even more complex. The chances are that it's not a core issue in Hitfilm's code - because I edit in 4K all the time on a 2014-era laptop without any crashing - but some combination of things specific you your individual system. After all, if Hitfilm were fundamentally broken where it always crashed editing 4k for everyone, it's doubtful platform growth would have gone from under 1 million users in Summer 2017 to 3.5 million users in Feb, 2019.

Have you ever opened up a support ticket to work with the Staff to see if they can isolate an issue on your computer?

• Fox
    edited February 2019

My system is delivered in Dec, fully updated and stress testet. Set up for media and editing etc.
    Of all of the software i use (3 models/animations/Vue, Sony Vegas etc) HFP is the only one crashing my intire PC into a lock where only reset is posible.

I have send plenty of reports from last year, on my old system, never had a response on another issue at that time.

Currently the Pc runs Bullguard security.

I am not saying that it might not be a problem on my system.  I dont do not say anything about that HFP is broken software. I works very well, except when it comes to K4 in my case.

And … I have been around since dec 2008 using HF.  Its a great software … I just dont like being cut of  from general updates, not the additions in new tools.  But corrections of bugs. Just because i do not wanna renew my license at the current time.   

• triforcefx
    edited February 2019

@Fox If you are on HitFilm Pro 2017, then it would at least be worth trying the current version's demo to see if your issues have been resolved in the insane amount of changes and bug fixes that have happened since 2017 support ended.

No matter which software package you use (with one major exception being your Operating System), support ends almost entirely for your major version the moment a new major version drops. There will never be any bug fixes for older versions of the software. HitFilm is unique in that they will at least try to help you out if you are on an old version. Most companies will either tell you "update to the current version if you want our help- even if you have to put down a lot of money" or, "we'll help you but we will charge you for our extended support plan."

I'll have to ask @Triem23 - Do you get the most recent updates of your version number even though your license expired before the fixes were released? For instance, if I was on a Mac and my year of updates expired after version 11 released, but before 11.1 and 11.2 released, would I be able to get 11.2?

• Fox

I  had Asus support look into my system and motherboard, it seems they solved the problem. What they changed i cant say for sure, but something in my Bio´s was not set up proper.

But it still does not change the fact that your "Cut of" from general bug fixing, if you do not renew the license.

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,197 Staff

@Fox at this point, we will only update HitFilm 2017 (version 5) if we have critical issues that affect a lot of customers. This is purely due to resources we have available; we are working as hard as possible on getting version 12 ready to be released to everyone, we do not have much time to spend on updating old versions unfortunately. By all means though, feel free to contact us regarding the issues you are encountering in the software, we try to respond to as many people as possible, even when they are technically outside of support.

@triforcefx We've extended everyone's license automatically so if you have access to 11.0, you also have access to 11.2 (this version is Mac only). The reasoning behind it was that we had to do a fix for a critical issue and we didn't want people to have to pay to get a fix for a crash. Good to see you're back on the forums :)

• triforcefx

@CedricBonnier This is why I love you guys! There are some other companies that would make you pay for that type of thing if your official support expired. Can't wait for 12!

• Fox

Well   … I am out. I dont like the new business model at all. And as you say  "There are other companies"

• Triem23
    edited February 2019

@Fox first let me note that mods don't work for FXHOME  We're user volunteers that help quash spam. 

Let's be blunt. Your Hitfilm 2017 purchase does NOT entitle you to free bugfixes forever. Starting with Hitfilm v6 the core engine of Hitfilm changed. It's changing again with the upcoming v12. You're basically asking the dev team to return to a two+ year old version of the software. It ain't gonna happen. They don't have the resources, and, because the CORE ENGINE is different in any version of Hitfilm after yours, it's not a "cut and paste" job. 

With ANY software  at some point a version enters "end of life" and is no longer updated. For Example  the current version of the NLE Vegas Pro is version 16. Do you know how many more updates are coming out for Vegas Pro 15? None. Using Vegas as a continuing example, You'd be someone on Vegas Pro 14, still not getting any updates.

Also, you're complaining about bugs that were at your end! Else there wouldn't be problems requiring Asus to solve. 

There are other companies, yes. And I own software from many of them. Here's what you're going to get from all of them: You will buy version X and, when version X+1 comes out there will be no more updates for X. If you buy version X two months before version X+1, then you WILL be paying for that X+1 upgrade, even though you've only had version X for two months. This is the typical business plan of pretty much any program. 

Example from my life. PD Howler (art/animation software) released version 12 two months after I bought v11. I paid for my upgrade. Do you think I got Howler 12 for free? Nope. I did get an upgrade discount for owning v11. Kinda like how you're offered an upgrade discount for Hitfilm 12 as an owner of Hitfilm 2017.

FXHOME's current policy of purchasing 12 months of updates (extended for some Mac users for a critical bugfix) is more lenient than just about anything else out there's. I use software from Magix, Boris, Adobe, OneOne, and several other companies  and no one else prices as fairly as FXHOME.

Adobe? Heh. You rent from Adobe. Your Hitfilm 2017? Yeah, if you bought Adobe CC 2017 your software would have been shut off over a year ago. See.... Adobe disables your software if you don't pay them every year.

Dislike the FXHOME business model all you like. Eventually you'll realize you won't find better. 

• Fox

Sure … But i am still out.  Nothing changed.

• HitFilmer150816
    HitFilmer150816 Posts: 18 Enthusiast

FXHOME is on the correct path for serious users that need special effects. If all you do is edit its not worth it. get a free program. Its particle system may be the best there is. Camera  projection is extremely powerful in the correct hands. Working in true 3D space and 2D together makes every tool 3 times more powerful. its a untapped harry potters wand. Just dig in and see.

• Triem23

@Hitfilmer150816 boy, last year I would have agreed Hitfilm's particle sim is the best, but recent changes to Particular really upped its game. Of course Particular is a $500 add-on that requires an Adobe subscription on top of it.

Hitfilm's particle sim is fan-freaking-tastic, but the new fluid dynamics in Particular are sweet! 

On the other hand Particular still can't use 3D models as textures and still only supports 2 deflectors in a scene.

Meh. Both great tools, but, since this is a Hitfilm forum we can all guess which one I use more. 

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@Triem23 Just want to throw this out there cause I know you keep wanting to dig into Blender, but the Physic sims for fluids, smoke cloth, collisions and whatnot are so goood!

• Triem23
This discussion has been closed.