How to Create a Hexagon / Honeycomb Grid Pattern in HitFilm?

FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

Does anyone have any ideas on how to procedurally generate a Hexagon or Honeycomb grid pattern in HitFilm without needing to go out and find a separate picture file (i.e. transparent PNG) to import? I know that the Insect Vision Effect can make the basic pattern, but what can I put it on that would create the grid itself?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,264 Ambassador
    edited August 2019

You want the outline? Like just the actual hex lines on a plain background?

EDIT: I just took a couple of minutes to play around. I'm going back to a writing project now, but I got good starting results in under a minute with the following few steps.

I created a plane. On the plane I added a Color Gradient. Set blend to normal opacity to 100% and moved the color nodes to opposing corners.

Added Insect Vision and set Iris Bulge to 0.

I added Emboss.

I added Find Edges and clicked "invert."

This more or less gave me black hexes on a white background with some horizontal artifacts. From there I went back into Insect Vision and played around with the Zoom setting. This got rid of the horizontal artifacts and left just a white hex pattern on black. Then I adjusted the edge width in the Emboss.

Finally I added a Threshold and played with that. I ended up with clean black hexes on white. These could be composited over another image just by setting the hex layer to Multiply blend.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador
    edited January 2019

Emboss! Of course... Thank you!

Edit: After playing a little more, I removed the Emboss and just doubled up on the Find Edges. Also, I put the Color Gradient on each side. The edges of the plane are slightly faded, but I just increased the size of the plane. Thanks Mike!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,264 Ambassador

Nice! I'd actually done the Find edges first then tried the Emboss earlier in the chain! I'd figured I'd gotten far enough where you'd get it the rest of the way. :-)

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador