Hitfilm 12 and previous presets

DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 889 Enthusiast

I just installed Hitfilm 12 (as always nervous well it tells me to uninstall any previous versions).

All my presets collected and created have gone. 
How do I get them back?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,326 Ambassador

Hitfilm 12 has been released yet. You've installed Hitfilm 11.

Um. What version of Hitfilm have you just updated from? I'm going to guess Hitfilm Pro 2017?

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 889 Enthusiast
    edited January 2019

You're right... even though all the buying and downloading was talking about Hitfilm 12....hmmm
    <edit.> scratch that I didn't read it properly.

I went from Pro 4

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,326 Ambassador

Ok... the bad news is you'll have to do a little digging to find your presets, but the bad news is you shouldn't have to do this again for awhile.

I'm assuming you're on Windows. If you're on MAC, then you'll have to do something similar, but I can't guide you at all on where to look.

So, first thing you'll have to do is make certain Window Explorer is showing hidden folders and files.

You'll need to dig into whatever drive your operating system is on (probably C:, so we'll just assume C: for now.)

C:\Program Data\FXHOME\Hitfilm Pro 4. In that folder you'll find several other folders. The important ones are "Presets" and "Templates." Presets will have any Effects list presets you've created, while Templates will have your custom workspaces. You should be able to copy these folders, as they are, into the C:\Program Data\FXHOME\Hitfilm Pro folder system.

If you want to poke around a little bit more in those folders there are a few other interesting things you might come across, like the actual textures for the Particle Sim and Muzzle Flash effects, and a few low-res 360 degree spherical panorama images. If you poke around in the Hitfilm Pro (not Hitfilm Pro 4) folders a bit you'll even find a few .hfcs (Composite Shot) files of lower thirds! That said, you're poking around in the bowels of the software, so, if you aren't certain what something is, leave it alone. You can potentially damage your installation.

Still, make a note of this folder structure because, if/when you change computers in the future, that's where you find all your presets to transfer to the new machine!

Oh, since you're on a new Hitfilm Pro installation this is a good time to consider creating a custom file location for pre-renders and caches and things. Look at where Hitfilm Pro is creating those files by default then look for a nearly identical file location for Hitfilm Pro 4. You might be able to move your old Hitfilm Pro 4 proxies/pre-renders/caches to the new Hitfilm Pro file system.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,204 Moderator

@DafterThings You could look and see if your presets are still there because 4 Pro can be left installed and run the new 11/12 as well.  It's probably in a separate folder from the 4 installation, you might also reinstall 4 and see if it picks them back up.  And don't worry, since you upgraded to 11 today you have a year of updates so it will have an update to 12 "very" soon from my understanding.

@triem23 and @tddavis

Thanks both. It worked. Found them and copied them. Super stuff.
    I wish I knew I could keep Pro4 installed. Not having a fallback always makes me very nervous.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,315 Ambassador

@DafterThings If things don't work the way you were hoping (i.e. there are problems), you can always reinstall HFP4. Of course, you can't go backward on projects, so you would have to start over in Version 4.

PS: According to the website, the new planned release date is February 19, 2019, and it specifically says, "Buy HitFilm Pro 11... Get 12 for FREE!"

https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-pro

@filmsensei Yeah... I had just not read it correctly 

I have HF4 Pro installed as well now. 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,061 Ambassador

@FilmSensei Re: the v12 release, the page simply says "Feb '19," with "'19" being an abbreviation for "2019," so that just means it'll come out some time in February of this year. No specific date (as usual).

And the whole "buy v11, get v12 free" isn't really new/different. If someone buys v11, they begin their year of updates, so naturally v12 is going to be free.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,315 Ambassador

@CleverTagline Yes sir, you are correct on both accounts. This is why I should finish at least my first cup of coffee before typing! :)