Considering BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K - Talk me in or out of it. :)

silar
silar Posts: 67 Just Starting Out

Already know all the issues that people have had from SSD's not working to battery life, MFT lenses or speedbooster and EF lenses, heat, no auto-focus, no IBS, etc.  Not to mention the fact that you can't even find them anywhere right now without placing on backorder or preorder.

I'm willing to deal with those issues as there are workarounds and still get it.  Just curious if anyone on here has one and are they happy with it?

Figured I'd get a cage, and shoulder rig setup, and external battery packs and plate (either V-Mount or NP-F) and a few SSD's, .  Also looking at getting the Moza Air 2, and starting with the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 (I know.. no stabilization there either) and external monitor.

Just want to get something capable of the occassional 4K/60 ProRes 422 and eventually raw that's within my budget of around $3,000 to $3,500 and I can't seem to find anything that can even come close with this camera and it's features.

Comments

• rutxer
    rutxer Posts: 176

I actually don't want to talk you out of it... but, how about GH5(s) + Atomos Ninja V? I haven't researched the specs, but I think you might get those 4k/60p 422 (at 8bit) with the external recorder. Plus you get AF (nice one with firmware 2.4), IBIS, good battery life...

(I'd love to try one of this BMDPCC4K though!!!!)

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Posts: 984 Enthusiast

I have heard very good things about it.
    What would you be using it for? I'd be interested in seeing some of your productions to understand what a
    3 - 3.5K camera will bring

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Posts: 924 Enthusiast

The Pocket4K is $1300... it already CAN record raw if you use fast enough media; the big new thing that's coming soon is braw, which is a clip-based raw format that's similar to Redcode, though a lot less demanding to work with in post.

I have friends with them, and I'm thinking about getting one as a B camera (or for shoots where my current camera is simply overkill). 

Given where you're posting this, I'm guessing you have an interest in VFX and compositing... so you won't like an 8bit codec for long. 

It's definitely a professional camera, even though the Pocket's price doesn't reflect that.

• silar

Something that I should have mentioned is I want all new and not used equipment.  

@ruxterThat would blow my budget out given some of the other things I want to get.  Also, I feel I would be paying more and getting less than the BMPCC4K, other than stabilization and auto-focus, which may possibly be coming with a firmware update for it (auto-focus).  And another thing is that it comes with Davinci Resolve which I also use so that would give me another license which I need since I do video work in my home office and in my recording studio.  I've looked at everything from the Lumix GH5(S), Sony A7 III, and Canon EOS R.  Even looked at cheaper options like the Lumix G7 or G9 and the Canon M50 to just get by for now but I know I would hate my decision if I went with those..  Still can't find anything that can match the features of the BMPCC4K at the price.  I even thought the Z Cam E2 would be a good runner for it's money, but still $700 more than the BMPCC4K.

@DafterThingsBeen looking at the demographics within my area and there really isn't anyone you can go to for any video work like local business commercials, music videos, etc.  Currently I do all the video announcements for my church, but I've also done a couple music videos (including my own band) which I'm not too proud of due to the quality (shot on a Nikon D3100 1080p 24fps). And I've done all my band's promo videos, so far most everything in Hitfilm Pro except for my band's music video, which I did in Davinci Resolve.  I also use my phone with Filmic Pro or the native Galaxy S9+ camera app with a Zhiyun Smooth 4 Gimbal which comes in handy for certain shots.  

@WhiteCranePhoto Definitely will be doing VFX and compositing.  Been anxiously awaiting to see if BM will release a firmware update soon to bring in the BRAW, and maybe fix some of the other things.

• WhiteCranePhoto

@silar Braw is definitely coming for the Pocket4K. The only question is when -- I think it's in beta currently, but not sure. 

The reason that you're not finding another camera that can match the Pocket 4K's features + price is that there isn't one. Black Magic's pricing is insane.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,077 Ambassador

The BMPCC 4K is undoubtedly the insane 4k power option at an unbeatable price point. 

Tradeoffs are battery life, storage cost and software menus for everything. Still, it's almost a no-brainer. 

Unless you're run n' gun. 

• silar

That's pretty much what I thought.  Honestly what I'm dreading the most is waiting for the camera.  Knowing that some people have had it on backorder for months!!

• WhiteCranePhoto

Order it from a small vendor like the dvestore.com. Two of my friends got theirs already even though they ordered in octoOct.

But if you're runnin' and gunnin' you're not making movies. That's really just bogo-speak for sloppy documentary filmmaking.

?

• Triem23

@WhiteCranePhoto Or you're a broadcast/event guy. ;-)

(Although I have fairly successfully pulled off short films in a run n' gun style, BUT, it's another situation where I did my shot plan first and, on set, realized I'd just totally overthought things and should run more loosey-goosey.)

• silar

The only time I would run and gun is music videos, unless there was a need for it in a commercial.  Not really making movies... yet.  :)

• rutxer
    rutxer Posts: 176

@silar I totally get it. I'm trying to not drool over it too much, because my GH5 serves my needs very well, and the BMPCC4K would make me miss too much from it. As said, each of us has different needs/wishes.

So, get one!! :D

But be aware...

;)

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,442 Ambassador
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2019

Disclaimer: Before I get into this, I just want to make it clear, I don't know your current lighting knowledge or equipment. I'm only posting this because I thought I would offer a different perspective on how your budget could be spent. I believe the BMPC4k is an amazing camera and anyone looking to shoot Music Videos or Commercials would be smart to buy one.

So, maybe you've already made up your mind, but...

If you are shooting commercials/music videos, do you already have lighting? Are you purchasing that as well?

I ask because I shoot with a Canon C100 (which as I'm sure you all know shoots only in 1080p, no more than 29.97fps, 8bit 24mbps AVCHD codec.) I have shot everything with this thing. Weddings, music videos, and even TV commercials. This camera has no 4k ability. No raw ability. No 422 capability (without external recorder which even then only delivers 422 in 8bit via HDMI). It has no option for high frame rates. I use this camera for a number of reasons, but I'm not here to make a case for the C100 as much as for the reasons I haven't upgraded my camera. 

Lighting. The only reason I get a good picture from this camera is lighting. No matter how good your camera is, without proper lighting, it all falls flat. I am able to get away with shooting music videos for my clients with just my C100 and Canon T3i or Canon HFG10 (as b or c cams) because I light it right. It was many years ago, before HitFilm when there was a user on here named Ben3308. He made a little video titled "light your movie, son!"  about how to achieve the film look even with a sub-par camera. 

My point is that if you are getting a bad image from your Nikon D3100, it isn't because of the camera (at least not entirely.) It is likely due to inexpensive/cheap glass and lack of lighting. There are several Hollywood films where they use action cameras such as GoPros or DSLRs like the Canon 5D as B cameras. If you don't like the image you are getting, it might not be the camera. It might be the lighting or lens choice. Both of which are vastly more important than what sensor you use and what codec it records to.

I shot the following video on a C100 and Canon HF G10 (an 8 year old camcorder with a 1/3" sensor). However, because I lit the scenes bright enough, I was able to stop down my HF G10 enough to get a sharp image that matched my C100 even though the C100 was shooting Clog and the HF G10 has no log profile at all.

All that being said, if I had a Nikon D3100 the first thing I would do is invest in cinema lenses, (probably Rokinons) and then lighting. I would recommend LED or Tungsten. Tungsten can produce a lot of light for very cheap. I recently purchased a Mole Richardson 407 1k Fresnel on eBay for $75 (this light retails for $900+). LED lights will cost you more but they run cooler and draw less power. Totally up to you, but I would encourage you, if you don't already have a solid lighting kit, (think 4+ lights with stands, bounces, diffusers, etc) I would consider putting a new camera on the back burner.

• silar
    edited February 2019

@MatthiasClafin I have lighting now but didn't when I shot the videos last year.  Actually plan on getting some more LED based lighting along with the camera purchase.  Still want something a little more professional than a $250 D3100 and want 4K.  I'm also still learning, really only seriously getting into video editing, compositing, VFX last year but have played around with video production and editing since I can remember.  I'm at a point now, because of some of the work I've done, I've been asked recently to do a few commercials for some local businesses, but want to make sure I can get the best quality I can for them but not totally kill my budget.  Especially with music videos, the D3100 will in no way cut it due to it's horrible low light capabilities.  Way too much noise, and only 24p so no slow motion shots.. Lenses aren't going to help with that at all.  I want something better.  I know any piece of hardware is only as good as the person using it, just like with guitars.  An expensive guitar will sound just as bad as a cheap guitar if the person holding it can't play guitar.

With all that though, I have learned quite a bit over the past year and am still learning but getting better at it and it's one of my favorite things to do, hence the reason why I'm on this forum.

This is my band 3 Days Under.  We're a Christian Hard Rock Band out of Kentucky.  I did this all on the D3100 and Edited in Davinci Resolve, or at least had someone else do most all of the camera shots since I'm the bassist and backup singer in the band.  Please be kind, it's not my best work (but the song rocks!).  At this point (done early in 2018 and released mid-year) I didn't know how to grade properly, or even set the proper ISO, white balance, etc, but I've learned a lot and gotten much better.

I would have used Hitfilm Pro, but didn't buy it until July 4th, and I had already edited the video by then. And I forgot to mention that we were going for an old vintage film look, but I went a little overboard.

• MatthiasClaflin

First I want to say the video isn't that bad. It's a bit under exposed but that's what learning is all about. Making mistakes, recognizing them and doing better next time. I think it definitely looked vintage. I'm sure you learned a lot on that shoot. 

So there are a few things I want to say in response, but I want to start with, if you want the blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k, you should get it. However, a few things to consider based on what I read above...

"Especially with music videos, the D3100 will in no way cut it due to it's horrible low light capabilities.  Way too much noise, and only 24p so no slow motion shots.. Lenses aren't going to help with that at all"
    - It seems like you are saying that lenses won't help with low light, though I'm not sure because you add in the slow-motion at the end of one of the sentences, so perhaps that's what you meant? That said quality lenses won't help you achieve slow motion, this is true but good glass will absolutely help with low light. I'm not a huge fan of the Rokinon Cine lenses (though I do own a few myself and use them regularly) but they are reasonably sharp wide open (T1.5 ~ f/1.4) which would absolutely assist you in low light shooting. 

On the topic of low light, the BMPC4k has a much smaller sensor than your Nikon, and this will directly effect it's performance in low light. It has a native ISO of 400. Now it does have dual-native ISO but this doesn't really effect the noise so much as the dynamic range, check out the FilmmakerIQ video on the topic for more about that. Either way Blackmagic cameras in general aren't known to be good in low light. That said, with a good light kit, why is a good low light camera important?

That said if you did want a good low light camera I would not recommend blackmagic, but rather Sony. Sony has by far the best low light capabilities in their A7s line. The A7sii runs just about $2400 and has the internal 4k, up to 120fps in 1080, internal stabilization, 4:2:2 color space with very respectable bitrates, and maybe the best AVC codec, XAVC S. Not to mention no need for a speed booster, just buy native glass. It has great third party lenses for reasonable prices (like Rokinons) or great zooms offered from both Sigma and Sony themselves.

At your budget, assuming you had nothing, I'd encourage you to grab a GH4 (from B&H new they run about $700 right now) and you get one heck of a 4k sensor and 10 bit recording for a fraction of the BMPC4k price. That money you can put into other parts of the gear, like lenses (I'd highly recommend Veydra if you are getting cinema lenses for m4/3 and you are willing to spend the cash).  The GH4 would also save you room in the budget to build up your grip gear; c-stands, diffusers, reflectors, flags, etc. As well as lights, and sound gear (especially if you are doing commercial work, this is going to be important). 

The only other thing I want to say, and this is going to be a very unpopular opinion around here, but the world hasn't adopted 4k yet, and it seems to be moving further away from it, not closer. I'll support my opinion briefly but won't waste your time by going in depth on this topic... More people are watching video online than ever and fewer are buying traditional media (namely BR disc or 4k BR disc). Streaming video at 4k is essentially streaming 4k video at an HD bitrate which means that nearly everything that makes it "4k" is lost in compression anyway. Every movie theater in my area (including Cinemark, Regal, and AMC) have HD/2k projectors in every theater except their IMAX or IMAX equivalent theaters which have specialty projectors. Unless you see a disproportionate number of movies in IMAX or IMAX equivalents, you are probably watching a majority of your movies in HD or close to HD. Also you can't broadcast 4k on cable or satellite TV because there just isn't enough bandwidth. But I digress..

I don't think there is anything wrong with upgrading your camera and the BMPC4k might be the perfect camera for you. I'm not trying to say it's not, just offer alternative ideas. I'm a little biased on this topic, if I'm being honest, as I very much regret ignoring my light/grip kit early on. That said, as I've said before, this isn't an attack on the BMPC4k or your decision to get it, only you really know what camera will make you happy, this is just some things to think about.

• silar

@MatthiasClaflin Thanks for your input.  That's why I started this thread.  Greatly appreciated.  I've been eyeing the GH5 and Sony A7 III specifically which are both above the price of the BMPCC4K, and as I said before, I only want to buy new, especially for the camera body.  My issue is that I can't find anything that matches the features (especially if you subtract the $300 for Davinci Resolve that comes bundled with it) anywhere near the price range which is why I'm so inclined to go this route.  

Definitely underexposed.  On your input about 4K.  I am only pushing it because everyone that has asked for it.. Specifically asked for it, and honestly, there is no one in our area that can offer that, so I'm trying to accommodate, but also don't want to be restricted by not being able to do it if someone requests it.

Also, in case you guys have ever heard the song Rico Suave by Gerardo (back in 1990), the Older man in the video is Paul Eicher, Gerardo's Father-In-law.  Gerardo is actually a Pastor in a Church in Ashland, KY.  Crazy.. And a pretty awesome one at that.

• WhiteCranePhoto

One thing you're wrong about is the dual iso. It's actually two separate gain circuits, so it does pretty well in low light. Once you set the base ISO, adjustments up and down are just metadata, since other than having the two separate circuits, it's still ISO invariant.

Low light capability isn't nearly as big a deal as it's made out to be, IMO. Most of the A7s users out there just used it as an excuse to not light their sets, so their footage is still not any good. (Yes, there are people doing good work with the A7s line. It's not the camera's fault when the DP is a dolt. :) ).

I agree about 4K as well; it's not quite as overrated as low light capability, but it's close. Most people who wish for 4K (or more) really don't have a use for it, but on the other hand thanks to marketing from TV manufacturers as well as from camera manufacturers, it's now pretty much required even though it's for no good reason. HDR has a lot more impact on image quality IMO.

Having said all that, the only reason that I don't regret my lighting/grip kit is that I have access to them through friends and I've also found that they're surprisingly inexpensive to rent, provided that you plan ahead a bit.

• Triem23

@WhiteCranePhoto it's hard to talk someone out of 4K if his or her mind is set on it. The single best argument is this. Marvel and Star Wars movies are edited and mastered at 2k (and any 4K blu-rays produced are upscaled off the 2K master).

If 2k is good enough for the biggest VFX blockbusters in the world, and movies that consistently get nominated for Ocars for VFX and cinematography, then it's obvious the only reason to shoot 4K is to have a little bit of crop room for your 1080 master. This ignores the arguement about framing correctly. For VFX work it's often desirable to crop in post.

• silar
    edited February 2019

Not to squirrel and playing a bit on Gerardo (Rico Suave), here's his latest video.  I think he used Red camera's for most of the video, but the important thing to note is that Paul Eicher is also in his music video, our old preacher guy in our video that was inspired by the movie Poltergeist (the old man Kane).  He's about midway through Gerardo's video in the white shirt with paint splatters all over it.  

It's in Spanish, but just for video sake...  :)

• WhiteCranePhoto

Assuming that you're going to reframe to make the shot work in post is just an excuse for sloppy cinematography.

And the best argument against 4K is Blade Runner 2048 -- shot on Alexa. Not Alexa 65, but Alexa. (Confirmed by Roger Deakins himself.)

• silar

Regardless, if someone wants 4K, then I want to be able to provide them 4K, and not have to justify why I or someone else feels that 1080P is just fine and try to talk them out of it.  I would rather just say.. Yep.. I can do that.  It may not be completely required, but is absolutely relevant as we speak.  Netflix requires all of their originals to be filmed in 4K (not that I'm doing that though) which includes Stranger Things and was binge watched by most everyone..

The purpose of this thread is not to determine whether I need 4k or not.  It's whether there is anything comparable to the BMPCC4K since I'm going to be making the purchase within the next week.  I myself definitely want something that is 4K capable.   

I'm wanting to fill a void in my location that is highly needed.. and requested.

• Triem23

@WhiteCranePhoto or I'm shooting locked for VFX and intend on faking a camera move in post. I did say we were going to ignore that argument. I also am in favor of "frame it right," but I am known to shoot in 4k for a 1080p crop. 

Case in point. This was my pitch to FXHOME for what became the Sandman/Avengers Dissolve tutorial. In this case I did frame myself in a 4k to crop to 1080p. I'm shot head-to waist. I wanted the crop because there are two plates of me. One where I stuck my arm around a piece of green poster board, one where I extend my arm straight. The crop let me hide the join in the arms. I also shot locked off on a phone to prove anyone can do this. 

So, while I absolutely agree a good DP shoots to maximize true frame, I eternally defend the legitimately of the crop. 

It makes the shot having the hand dissolve revealing my shirt  and I matched the motion and marks on the two arms nicely. 

• WhiteCranePhoto

People using the crop because they planned it is very rare. They usually crop because they have no understanding of the frame, so I basically default to,  "don't do it" because most people who use reframing are using it as a crutch.

Same with the obsession with downscaling for improved quality... most of the films shown in 4K IMAX theaters are upscaled from 2K, so that's also obviously bogus.

People using 4K with good reason are exceedingly rare, so my default will continue to be "don't" :)

I've had several editors reframe in ways that ran counter to the emotional intent of the frame to satisfy their forumulas because I gave them 8K footage... so I've since then upgraded my editors. :)

• MatthiasClaflin
    edited February 2019

"I only want to buy new"

You can buy a GH4 new for $700, which is $500+ less than a BMPC4K, which is really my pitch. It gives you 4k video, 10 bit codec, high framerates, etc. As well as having the same size sensor as the BM and the same lens mount. The GH4 at that price is a steal. Maybe you don't want it because it wasn't recently released? I'm not sure, but you said "not used" and B&H sells it brand new at that price. Honestly I think it is a better bang for your buck than BM, especially if you aren't shooting RAW. 

As for the dual ISO, my understanding is that either way you slice it, 3200 ISO is adding gian, it just does it before the information is processed instead of post processing, which will still add noise to the image because you are still artificially boosting the signal. I could be wrong. I honestly don't know that much and very well could be misremembering.

That said, I'm sorry I started the 4k debate. I deliver everything in 4k even though it is shot in 1080p. Though every time a client asks for 4k, I rant about how worthless 4k is and they either agree with me or go with someone else... though no one ever disagreed so...

• silar

@MatthiasClafin I also looked at the GH4.  It is an older camera but that doesn't keep me from buying it.  The fact that it can't do 4K 60FPS keeps me from buying it.  Being able to do Native 4K 60p, at least for me is a must since I'm doing music video's.  

No worries and no need to be sorry.  I appreciate everyone's input.

@WhiteCranePhoto Also, especially with the BMPCC4K (no stabilization), I can see having the ability to crop down a little from 4K would be nice in post to do some stabilization on shaky scenes.  I personally don't see reframing as a crutch.. I see it as another feature I can use if I need it.

Some people are pretty adamant about what they believe in.  Almost to the point of saying... How dare you shoot in 4K.. it's worthless and no one will have a need for that.  Sorry, but I completely disagree.  I think some people are hesitant to go to 4K due to the higher demand on memory and processing in post production.  Heck, even my main editing rig which is a beast gets a bit choppy in Hitfilm Pro trying to do anything in 4K, but hopefully that'll change in V12 with Intel and Nvidia support as I have absolutely no issues in Davinci Resolve in 4K.. It's not an obsession... it's inevitable.  

• WhiteCranePhoto

MatthiasClaflin  Black Magic's cameras are, like all professional cinema cameras, ISO invariant. That basically means that the ISO is a gamma curve setting that's only applied/baked when de-Bayering... so in raw, it's only a gamma curve.

The dual ISO is in fact a dual gain system, but it's done with a dedicated circuit as pioneered  on Panasonic's Varicam, so at the higher ISO setting, since it's using dedicated circuitry, it's a lot cleaner than if you'd used the base ISO setting and cranked it to raise the shadows.

@silar I don't think 4K is worthless, by any means. It's just that the vast majority of the people who want it really only want it because of marketing -- and that includes most clients who ask for it. Of course, if a CLIENT asks for it, then there's a valid reason to use it because you might lose the client if you don't, but there's really no big technical NEED for it, since 4K doesn't improve the quality of the image in any meaningful way. 

That's also precisely why there are often threads on Black Magic's forum complaining about Black Magic not offering 8K... it isn't because 8K is all that important, it's because it sounds good for marketing.

Most of what I've shot I've mastered in 2K... but I really like having 16-bit raw and lots of sensitivity for when I do chroma key and the like, and I like being able to do some drastic things with color grading now and then because it's artistically liberating.

The Pocket4K won't get you the same freedom that an 8K Helium will (never mind a $90,000 Monstro), but it will get you around 85% of it... and at $1300 vs $30,000... well, enough said.

The GH4 on the other hand isn't even in the ballpark, though at $700 it IS a steal. IMO the only real advantage that the GH series has over the Pocket4K is that it's better for photography, being based on a photography platform and sporting a higher resolution sensor. I'm just not  a fan of hybrids because in all things that have to be engineered, there's a compromise due to the realities of, well, reality.

Hybrids give you better options as far as photography goes, though usually trading off bit depth, dynamic range, and usually also codec robustness (i.e. limited to 10-bit vs 12-bit codecs), raw options (not many hybrids have the option of recording raw). On the other hand, a camera like the Pocket4K has a stills mode, but it's limited to 8 megapixels, i.e. 4K.

You CAN have both, like with a Helium or Monstro; get 16-bit color, 16+ stops of dynamic range, raw video, and 35.5 megapixel stills... but look at the price tag. 

That's why the A7s has a relatively low resolution sensor; it's a tradeoff for video oriented functionality (dynamic range + high gain with low noise), but to record 10-bit you have no options, and to record in a professional grade mezzanine codec like ProRes you have to use an external recorder.

The GH5 is IMO the Pocket4K's closest competitor, since it comes the closest in terms of functionality but the price is higher... Panasonic has great color science, but Black Magic cleverly bought the company where a lot of the industry's best color scientists were already working before it started designing cameras. The excellent color science in its first camera release wasn't an accident. 

• silar

I had actually looked into getting an A7 III.  The movie The Possession of Hannah Grace was entirely filmed on A7 Cameras.  

• MatthiasClaflin

@WhiteCranePhoto Ah this makes sense. Thanks for the correction. 

• So much great advice and info. Can't add anything to that but maybe  wait till NAB in a couple months and see if there are new announcements from BM/Panny, etc. It may give more clarity with a direction.

Have always been a fan of the GH cams. Some are wondering if there will be a GH6 with the new S-Fullframes coming out. Would be surprised if they discontinued the GH series.  I have seen the GH5 used in alot of music videos.  Agree that holding on to the 4K/60 standard is the way to go now.

• silar

Well, I ordered the BMPCC 4K.  Also a bunch of other things to go along with it.  Ordered it all last week.

Here's what I got so far... along with a few other things that aren't shown.. Lenses, gimbal, etc..