Load Error

It's the weirdest thing.

I have not changed my recording software, or anything about Hitfilm Express from this morning when I was editing things.

My files are recorded in AVI format.

I try importing media, and it comes up in the Editor tab as 'Load Error'.

I have tried importing copies of files that are already in the editor, those will load in fine.

I have tried opening files that were created the same time as ones already in it that worked at the time (and were created the same time as the ones that do work), and they don't work.

I've googled trying to find a solution to this problem, (as I try doing before I post here always) and have not found a fix, or reason.

Comments

• babytoe
    babytoe Posts: 51
    edited January 2019

Sorry, can't edit my original post.

"I try importing media, and it comes up in the Editor tab as 'Load Error'."

SHOULD read:

I try importing media, and it comes up in the Media tab as 'Load Error'.

UPDATE:  For giggles I tried loading one of my previous saves of my project, one that had less done to it... and then tried importing one of the clips that got the 'load error' on my most recent saved file... and... it imported fine.  So I tried another file.. also imported.

Is there some kind of size restriction or something for the media tab?  I can't see that being a thing... but it's my  only thoughts right now of what could be wrong.

So far my project is only about 40 seconds long.  The end project will likely be about 5minutes... so if it IS a size restriction in the media tab... I'm in trouble.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,436 Ambassador

Please supply a MediaInfo output of your file details.  Still need to know the encoding type.   AVI is just a wrapper.  Do you have the same issue with other file types?

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,197 Staff

@babytoe There's no file size or duration restriction in Express. The MediaInfo output of the file would indeed be useful to diagnose what is happening.

• babytoe
    edited January 2019

How exactly do I go about getting a MediaInfo output thing please?  I googled it and it only confused me  more.

.png files import fine.  Mp3 files import fine. Mp4 import fine.

That being said, I went and converted one of the AVI files that get the Load Error into an Mp4 format and tried importing that, and it came in fine.

Now considering it takes about 10min or so to convert one file from AVI to Mp4... doing that for the rest of my movie is not a really happy solution for me... so hopefully we can figure out what's wrong.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@babytoe Up 3 comments, Stargazer 54 posted a link to download it, I believe.  After you drag a filen into it you want to change the type to text and copy and paste those results here for the knowledgeable file gurus to have a look.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador

@tddavis although, as a semi-knowledgeable file padawan I think we're going to find that the codec of the AVI is one unsupported by Hitfilm and babytoe is going to have to transcode files. Probably all the problematic AVIs are from the same camera?

• babytoe

@Triem23

Please see my second post, it doesn't make sense for the AVIs to suddenly be problematic.  Nothing changed.  Trying to upload AVIs created at the same time as other AVIs already in the Media tab don't work.. yet to reimport the same AVI file of something that is already in the Media tab DOES work.

Additionally, the AVI files that create the Load error in my current project will load fine in earlier saves. (which is why I thought there might be a file size limit to the Media tab)- but that theory was debunked.

I will try download (yet another) program to try and get the MediaInfo... though I am not sure what file I am supposed to be dragging into it?  An AVI that I've been using without issue the past couple days that has suddenly decided not to load?

• tddavis

@Triem23 I've earned a promotion from clueless?  :)  No, seriously,  the thing that puzzles me is in the starting post it sounds like the files worked in Hitfilm and suddenly quit for some reason??

• babytoe
    edited January 2019

Is this the information you wanted from the MediaInfo?

General
    Complete name                            : L:\Fraps\video\house approach 1.avi
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    File size                                : 79.9 MiB
    Duration                                 : 4 s 833 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 139 Mb/s

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : Fraps
    Codec ID                                 : FPS1
    Duration                                 : 4 s 833 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 139 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 600 pixels
    Height                                   : 940 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 1.702
    Frame rate                               : 60.000 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 1.536
    Stream size                              : 79.8 MiB (100%)

________________________________________________________________________________

And this is file info from another AVI file that has already been used in the project:

General
    Complete name                            : E:\Guild Cheshire Cats\Cheshire Cats\cillian\AMV Ian\AMV Ian\bestfireworks.avi
    File size                                : 224 MiB
    Duration                                 : 15 s 0 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 125 Mb/s

Video
    Duration                                 : 15 s 0 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 125 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 600 pixels
    Height                                   : 940 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 1.702
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 1.386
    Stream size                              : 224 MiB (100%)

• tddavis
    edited January 2019

@babytoe That certainly looks like the info they will need to see.  Honestly, I don't understand the nuances of file differences but I do see that the one that's in the project already has a slight lower bit rate.  I have no clue if this is important or not, just something I noticed.

• babytoe

@tddavis

You had a good point, so I went back and looked for a lower bit rate, thinking, ok, maybe a higher bit rate is bad.  So I found one with a lower bit rate.  Still, Load error.

General
    Complete name                            : L:\Fraps\video\cry.avi
    File size                                : 58.4 MiB
    Duration                                 : 4 s 450 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 110 Mb/s

Video
    Duration                                 : 4 s 450 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 110 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 168 pixels
    Height                                   : 786 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 1.997
    Stream size                              : 58.4 MiB (100%)

• tddavis

@babytoe Well, that's blows my knowledge all to hell.  I figured it was too easy of a spot if I noticed it.  Hopefully, one of the experts will pass through and figure it all out.

• babytoe
    edited January 2019

@tddavis

LOL yeah they been blowing my theories up too.

I appreciate you throwing in your ideas tho! 

Plus, keep in mind the higher bit rate videos DID import fine into previously saved versions of the project. (which is why I thought there might be a size limit on the imported media tab thing.. ) but they proved that false.

So... will be interesting to see if they can find out what is wrong.  We will all learn something new ;)

Also, would like to add, it may seem like it's the location of the file that is causing a problem as in the examples I posted the only one that worked came from a different drive... however this is from a file that will reload into the media tab (it is a copy of a file already in it) which also came from L drive. So drive isn't a factor.

General
    Complete name                            : L:\Fraps\video\wowmodelviewer 2019-01-26 20-45-56-91.avi
    File size                                : 6.80 MiB
    Duration                                 : 833 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 68.5 Mb/s

Video
    Duration                                 : 833 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 68.2 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 136 pixels
    Height                                   : 786 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 1.445
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 1.272
    Stream size                              : 6.77 MiB (100%)

• tddavis

@babytoe If you would be able to upload one of the smaller files to a cloud source; one that throws errors for you, I'd like to try importing into my system to rule out an install glitch or something.  Of course, it'll be this evening before I can get to my computer  to do it though.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

Something may have happened with your FRAPS install. Those files are using special codec specific to FRAPS. So FRAPS needs to install a codec for any application using Video for Windows to use it.

FRAPS itself is probably bypassing Video for Windows and directly writing the files but Hitfilm will need a properly installed Video for Windows codec to be able to read a FRAPS file.

Hitfilm will perform/edit better/faster using something other than a Video for Windows codec but I digress.

• babytoe

It was reading the fraps files fine for days, and continues to read them fine in past saves.

•  Since no one seemed to be able to help with this issue, I've just given up and gone to converting the avi files to mp4s and adding them in that way.  Yea it's taking more time and effort than I wanted to mess with... but seems it's my only option.  Thanks tho to those who tried.

This discussion has been closed.