HitFilm Express or HitFilm Express 4?

Both are free... Is there a huge difference between them?

I currently use the regular Express, and was wondering if I got the HF 4, would it still read the files I've created with the latter?  Or would there be issues with that?

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,138 Enthusiast

Hitfilm Express 4 is very old and it will not read files from the current version (11). The current version will read files from version 4. There is no reason to want the old version of Express. Use the current version which has all the latest and greatest features.

• babytoe
    babytoe Posts: 51

I assume it goes HitFilm Express, HitFilm Express 4 and up?  Or... no? I'm very confused.... lol

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert
    edited January 2019

@babytoe No, the naming of Hitfilm Pro and Express changed in the past year or so.  It used to include a "version number" and now it is just Pro or Express.  On the splash screen that opens when you start either program, just under the blue button that says User Guide it will give an official version number that you are using, and after the list of add-ons in Express.  But it is now always referred to as just Express (no year, no number)  The chronology was something like Hitfilm 2, 3, 4, 5 and then 6 came out and it had no number and over a year it was updated to 11.  Before 6 you could have separate installs of each version as they installed in their own location, but with 6 on it overwrites the files with the new ones which I assume was the rationale for dropping the numbering system in the name but not in the actual file versions on that screen.  Hope I haven't muddled up the explanation too bad.

• babytoe
    babytoe Posts: 51

From what I gather then, it goes backward.  Numbers after it means it's older. :)  So alright then... that's all I needed to know, thank you both for taking time to answer. :)<3

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,332 Ambassador

FWIW, it's still possible to have multiple versions installed, at least on the Mac. Whenever I begin beta-testing upcoming HitFilm versions, I rename the current "app" (it's really just a cleverly-disguised folder with the actual executable and lots of support files inside) to add the version number. That way the beta can install separately, and I can keep using the latest release version for my primary projects.

• DannyDev
    DannyDev Staff Posts: 337 Staff
    edited January 2019

@CleverTagline

Yes you can rename the .app bundle on the Mac however HitFilm is not self contained and side by side installations will still read from the same user preferences, license, export queue, presets etc.

This is not supported.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,332 Ambassador

@DannyDev Thanks for the heads-up. From a testing standpoint, is there a preferred/supported way to keep the current release version while testing a beta version that would otherwise overwrite the current release? Or is the solution to simply uninstall one and reinstall the other as needed?

• DannyDev
    DannyDev Staff Posts: 337 Staff

@CleverTagline

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, there is isn't any way to install completely separate side by side versions of the same major version of HF on Mac (for example a HF11 and HF12).

OSX is a little to clever for it's own good and will get easily confused if you try run multiple versions of the same product.

For example, the installer system will silently fail if it finds a new version of the same product. It will report success, but do nothing; I've had problems before where a mac would find an application bundle on a forgotten corner of a network drive and would refuse to install another version locally until the 'existing' one was deleted. It will also refuse to install an older version of the same application if a new version is sitting in the trash!

I've had similar issues with Apple's own products on the AppStore. The AppStore would not let me download a app because it thought it was already installed...and by installed it meant on a completely different machine that just happened to share it's Applications directory on the network.

This discussion has been closed.