Text Geometry Effect Bug

ZachAlan
ZachAlan Posts: 453 Enthusiast

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to create a cool 3D logo with the geometry effects but have run into a problem with the Bevel effect.

My text needs a fill color different from the stroke color. However, when I set the Bevel effect to a negative expansion for the look I want, the hole in the letter D fills in entirely with the fill color. It happens with other fonts as well.

If the two colors are the same then it is not an issue. I have tried using another 3D text layer with the other color but it just sits on top or behind the other layer. It is not in a unified 3D space where it can intersect with the extruded text.

Any suggestions or help are greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• ZachAlan

Any ideas? I can upload images or a short clip if that would be helpful?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,088 Enthusiast

I tried something from your description and I could see the result. I did this on your first post but I said nothing hoping someone might have something more/better to add. Since you bumped, I'll speak.

What I question is that if the transformation of the 2D outline stroke is supposed actually work. If yes then what is the definition of how the outline stroke translates to Extrude and Bevel. i.e. Where does it show and how does it show.

In 2D the outline is a separate draw operation from the fill of the glyph. That draw is after the fill. Again, the question comes up, how do those two 2D draws translate to 3D. 

If I had to guess, it would be that both the fill and the stroke(outline) are being transformed by geometry (bevel, extrude). The stroke is getting confused with the bevel. The stroke has no weight to it to actually do a bevel on. This in contrast to the fill which does have some thickness.

In summary I don't think that geometry is intended to work with the stroke outline feature. In all circumstances or in some. For example, I could get a useful result with extrude but not bevel. Geometry certainly has some limitations on use. For example, when bevel and extrude are using in combination. Extrude first is very much preferred/necessary.

• ZachAlan

@NormanPCN thank you for the response!

What you said seems right, so is there any other way to have the bevel/sides of the text a different color from the face? If not with geometry I can use Boris but I was hoping geometry would work...

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,088 Enthusiast

Not that I know of. It is a bit frustrating. Geometry is a great feature in potential. It is lacking in capability and so becomes not so useful.

Boris Title Studio has great capability but I'm not a fan.

Between a rock and a hard place.

• ZachAlan

@NormanPCN I've attempted to use Title Studio but get frustrated  trying to figure out the interface. BCC Extruded Text works quite well except for the lack of customizable bevel profiles. The After Effects version allows you to use AE masks to design the bevel shape. 

Oh well. Maybe in a future update the 3D text will be sorted out. :)

This discussion has been closed.