Export - Hitfilm dosn't use the whole power of my pc

Is Express version of Hitfilm limited while exporting? It only uses 50% of CPU, 30% of GPU, 18% of RAM and <1% HDD

Specs:
1 x Nvidia GTX 1080
1 x Intel i7700k
2 x Samsung 960 Evo (Raid 0)
16GB RAM

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,122 Enthusiast

The Express version of Hitfilm is not limited while export. Hitfilm, Express or Pro, is what it is and performs how it performs.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,518 Ambassador

The long version of Norman's post. 

Hitfilm processes single frames in series. The process goes about like this:

GPU is idle. Drive goes active, CPU goes active and reads source frame. Drive is released (idles). CPU performs frame decode, particle physics calculations and a couple of other things. CPU passes frame to GPU and goes idle. GPU calculates all effects, layers and Composites then renders frame. GPU passes frame back to CPU. GPU goes idle. CPU compresses frame. Drive goes active, CPU writes frame to drive then grabs next frame. Repeat.

Notice the repeated use of "idle." It is not currently possible in the render pipeline for CPU and GPU to peg at 100% as the CPU and GPU hand stuff off to each other in series.

Without knowing more about your project it's impossible to accurately predict how resources are being used, but 50% CPU and 30% of GPU somewhat implies you're using a highly compressed source file like mp4 with a fairly light amount of VFX. 

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,327 Ambassador

Perhaps this explanation should be added to the FAQ part of the site, as the question seems to be arising fairly frequently. Tagging @CedricBonnier for input. (Cedric: if you guys need someone to help make FAQ entries and update documentation, I happen to know a guy who'd love to help out... ;) )

• Triem23

@CleverTagline agreed. It's a question I'm tired of typing so the updated Hit-U is gonna have a video that covers the render order as part of the "Speed up Hitfilm" episode. (As an aside, I'm pleased to note since I compiled my data on how to speed up Hitfilm and checked it with the devs back in the long-ago times [2017] Hitfilm updates have made a couple of those tips obsolete/un-needed.)

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited January 2019

Yes, I'd be interested in a story directly from the devs of how Hitfilm manages to leave so much CPU, GPU and HDD resources on the table that I can simultaneously export from Vegas and Hitfilm and they both run at their own version of "full speed" i.e 80% Vegas, 20% Hitfilm.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,122 Enthusiast

"Notice the repeated use of "idle." It is not currently possible in the render pipeline for CPU and GPU to peg at 100% as the CPU and GPU hand stuff off to each other in series."

FOR HITFILM.

• Triem23

@NormanPCN well, I did say it was Hitfilm's render process, but, yeah  never hurts to re-clarify. 

• DannyDev
    DannyDev Staff Posts: 337 Staff

@Palacono

Yes, I'd be interested in a story directly from the devs of how Hitfilm manages to leave so much CPU, GPU and HDD resources on the table that I can simultaneously export from Vegas and Hitfilm and they both run at their own version of "full speed" i.e 80% Vegas, 20% Hitfilm.

We've been over this Palacono. This kind of criticism is not constructive.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited January 2019

@DannyDev To-may-to To-mah-to? If there is ample power available that other programs can use and that doesn't seem to affect Hitfilm's exporting speed when they do, will we ever be told why this is possible? It's nice that you can continue to edit while exporting in the background, like Proxy creation, but will the export tap ever be fully opened as an option?

While you're here: any news on the difference between Express and Pro when tracking, such that Pro can (sometimes) track 10x faster than Express using the same file and project? You did say once that Tracking had been artificially slowed down because it was too fast. Is that a(n intermittent) factor?

Edit: Strike that, Pro tracking got 40% slower in latest version and increased CPU usage from ~50% to ~80%.

This discussion has been closed.