Creating a Quick Flicker Effect

SolidSnake2003SolidSnake2003 Website User Posts: 142 Enthusiast

I have purchased the VFX Damage, and Lighting Packs for my Hitfilm Express.  What settings do I use to create a quick flicker effect?

Comments

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,890 Ambassador

Not sure but this dude has a quick and simple answer to the question https://youtu.be/mBRYZ7pkYkQ

• SolidSnake2003SolidSnake2003 Website User Posts: 142 Enthusiast

The flickering effect I would like to recreate is from the Stranger Things intro.  Here is the season 2 intro:

I have bought the VFX Damage and Lighting 1 packs.  I've tried using the flickering effect that came with the Lighting 1 pack.  I don't understand the different settings, and what they all mean.

• silarsilar Website User Posts: 67 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2018

An easy way would be to use the effect 'Film Damage' and only enable Flicker in it's settings.. and then of course adjust to taste..

edited December 2018

What settings do I use for it?  I'm not sure what each of the different settings mean.

• silarsilar Website User Posts: 67 Just Starting Out

If it was me, I'd create a composition from the video footage, then add a grade layer and add the film damage effect to the grade layer.  Then, disable everything under film damage except for flicker.

There are only 4 settings in Flicker.  Frequency, Amplitude, Randomness, and Bright.  Play with each of them one at a time to figure out what each one does and how it changes the flicker effect.

The best way to learn how to use anything is to actually use it..  

I'm sorry if I'm asking silly questions, I'm new to this level of compositing work for videos.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,061 Ambassador

@SolidSnake2003 The Flicker effect uses a sine wave to create brightness changes.

Frequency controls the speed of the wave. A Frequency of 1 means that it will do one complete "wave" in one second, going from neutral (no change) to the highest peak (controlled by Brightness and Amplitude), down to the lowest peak, and back to neutral in that time.

Amplitude controls the strength of the wave. An amplitude of 1 on a mid-grey plane (with Randomness at 0) will make that plane white at its brightest, and black at its darkest.

Randomness adds a random shift to the values created by the sine wave, driven by the Seed value.

Bright controls the center/neutral value of the wave.  A Bright value of 1 means there's no shift. Higher or lower Bright values will shift the overall wave higher or lower, and therefore the overall flicker brightness.

This discussion has been closed.