External Audio Editor

DarrynGlassDarrynGlass Website User Posts: 49

As much as I love HitFilm, I would like more audio editing ability (hint, hint).  Until then, I am wanting to move away from Audacity and wondering what, if any, DAW's others have used and what they recommend.  I am looking as Studio One and Reaper at the moment.  

Oh and as a side note, I do VO work also (which is the main reason for moving away from Audacity).

Thanks!

Darryn

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,286 Ambassador

Technically I'm now discussing an NLE but Vegas Pro started as a DAW and still has some of the best audio tools out there. It's an excellent NLE, and has "Hitfilm integration," where you can send video clips directly to Hitfilm for VFX, or load a Hitfilm project into Vegas and Vegas reads the Hitfilm Editor Timeline as a media clip. 

And Vegas Pro is still on sale till the end of the year. 

There are four Vegas bundles." Vegas Pro Edit" is just the Vegas software. "Vegas Pro" bundles in DVD architect and ProDad Respeedr. "Vegas Pro Studio" adds in Boris Continuum 3D Lights, ProDad Vitascene 3, Boris Sapphire and FXHOME Ignite Pro. I believe the two Boris units also run in Hitfilm Pro. Ignite Pro adds about 180 Hitfilm filters to Vegas.

The fourth Vegas option is "Vegas 365" for masochists who want to be locked into a subscription plan. 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,039 Ambassador

Sweet! Another VO guy! *high five*

I've been using Reaper for a long time. The discounted license has been all I've needed so far.  My VO work dropped off substantially a couple years ago, so I mostly use it to record and edit VO for HitFilm tutorials, though once in a while a more complex project comes along. I think my favorite so far was when a former animator co-worker asked me to create dinosaur sounds for his short film.

• silarsilar Website User Posts: 67 Just Starting Out

Same here.  Can't recommend Reaper enough.  Have been using it for years in my studio as my main DAW.  If you want something just for editing a WAV or MP3 file to add silence, trim ends, etc, then check out Wavosaur.  It's a completely free audio editor that works pretty well..

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,286 Ambassador

Can't speak for Reaper, as I've not used it, but I also VO and Vegas Pro cheerfully records to audio tracks as I run video. 

I'll assume Reaper also let's you set In/Out points, run a loop and record multiple takes for each loop? 

• TxH003TxH003 Website User Posts: 37 Just Starting Out

I use the following DAWs in my music studio:

• PreSonus Studio One 4 Professional
    • Steinberg Cubase Pro 10
    • MOTU Digital Performer 9.5
    • Magix Samplitude Pro X4 Suite

All of them are good options in their own right.  However, for video-related audio editing, I primarily use Digital Performer 9.5 or Cubase Pro 10 with iZotope's RX7 Advanced.

• DarrynGlassDarrynGlass Website User Posts: 49

Thanks everyone.  The feedback is great.  I'll check out the options after the holidays.  

• BobDiMarzioBobDiMarzio Website User Posts: 632 Just Starting Out

I've been using reaper for the last 3 years.  The first two years I was using it in the free evaluation mode.   They reminded me that since I was using it quite regularly, is was about time that I bought a licence.  I agreed and still find it to be a great value for $60.

Also, Reaper does have some video editing features built in, especially for audio production.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,039 Ambassador

@Triem23 “I'll assume Reaper also let's you set In/Out points, run a loop and record multiple takes for each loop?”

Yup, though I haven’t used those features much. 

@silar Those video features were extremely handy when doing the dino sounds for my friend’s project. He gave me a locked edit, and I essentially did ADR with my dino vocalizations. Once all the layers were processed and mixed for each dino, I exported a complete track per dino, which he dropped into his edit, and it all synced perfectly. 

@Triem23 “I'll assume Reaper also let's you set In/Out points, run a loop and record multiple takes for each loop?”

Like  @Clever Tagline said.. Absolutely...  I was a Cubase fan for years until I got tired of all the resources it uses and how slow it was and then I found out about Reaper.  Now I've been using Reaper for about 5-6 years or so.  

And on a side note.. before Cubase, I used Cakewalk.. back in the good 'ole days.  It was decent for what you could do with it.  Ironically, I decided to look up Cakewalk to find out how old it is, and apparently a company called Bandlab has bought the rights to it and now has a new version of Cakewalk (rebadge of Sonar Platinum) that is completely free!  I decided to download it and I'm really liking it.  Unlimited Audio and Instrument tracks, comes with some instruments and effects that are pretty good.  Supports multiple takes, VST and VST3 effects and instruments, customizing the interface, docking, multiple screen support, control surface support, and so much more.  Apparently it came out earlier this year and I didn't even realize it.

edited December 2018

Funny thing..  I was just thinking about Cakewalk and Cubase that I use to use from years and years ago, and I didn't know this, but apparently, Cakewalk was bought by a company called BandLab and is now offering what is essentially Cakewalk Sonar Platinum for free as of around April of this year.  Wow..  I downloaded it and played around with it for the past couple days and talk about awesome.  It's the full uninhibited version minus a few 3rd party plugins.  I've been a pretty dedicated Reaper user for years, but man this is so much easier to use and has everything I could ever want in a DAW.  It's a little confusing on how to install it, but if you create a free account and go to https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk and install the BandLab assistant, login to the program and go to the APPS tab, you can download it.  

Sorry if it's not correct to post links to other programs, but I figured it was relevant with the topic of this thread.

@silar DAW software doesn't directly compete with any (current) products from FXhome, and in fact augments HitFilm quite nicely, so I don't think there will be an issue with the link.

• PumpJackPumpJack Website User Posts: 1

@silar I used to use Sonar back in the day but have been tied to my Adobe subscription for the last several years. I am actually rallying for our company to move to HitFilm Studio and cancel the subscription.  I have become rather versed in Audition, but I have downloaded the Cakewalk DAW and I'm going to give it another go.  I have already moved my graphics work to the Affinity line of apps (Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher,) ALL of which I highly recommend as you can't find more awesome apps for the price!

edited December 2018

Wow, Cakewalk.... So many memories there. Well before it added any kind of digital audio capability! Ironically I got a former band to shift everything off Cakewalk to Breakthru  on my old Atarti 1040 STe. Why? Breakthru had eight channels of sample playplack along with 256 channels of MIDI. That was back when Cakewalk only did 128 Midi Channels and didn't have a full GUI interface! (And, at that point we had enough synth and sample gear to require more than 128 channels of MIDI. Partly because the layered Roland MT-32s (four of them) were all eating nine channels each*.

*This reminds me. I should sell my two MT-32s... I got one for $10 and one for $20 and these days those things are going for over $200 on ebay!

edited December 2018

I honestly think that Cakewalk is probably the best solution for @DarrynGlasssince he's trying to find something to go from Audacity.  Since he does VO work, one thing that Cakewalk has that is super easy to use is 'Takes'.  It is so simple to have multiple take lanes and then select the best sections out of each lane to apply to the main track.  Also, each track has a built in 'Pro Channel' that allows you to apply EQ, Compression, tube saturation, console emulation, gating, limiting, and so much more without having to use any VST effects. And it comes with some pretty awesome VST's including the amazing VX-64 vocal strip.

And guess what.  It allows adding video too!  Can you tell I'm impressed with Cakewalk!  lol!  It even works with my Icon QCon Pro and Icon QCon XT DAW controllers!

@Triem23 - Showing your age bro!  I started sequencing on SID player on my Commodore 64 and then moved to other software when I got my Tandy T1000.  

Thinking about making another post to show how to do complete Orchestral, background, and video production audio for free using Cakewalk with some other free resources that I use.  Thought maybe it would help those who don't know where to start.

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast

@Silar production audio tutorial with Cakewalk sounds great.

Triem23, YES PLEASE.  I'd love to see that tutorial.

That definitely sounds like a great tutorial idea, but sadly Cakewalk is a Windows-only application. :(

@silar Ah, the good ol' C64. I only did a couple SID tunes back in the day, but got more into audio fiddling and music creation once I got the Amiga 500. MED and OctaMED were my favorite toys for a long time.

CleverTagline I'm ok with Windows only, lol.  I had an Amiga 2000 back in the day.  Loved that computer.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

I had a Vic-20, then a C-64 before, moving up to an HP 150, which I used in college. That 300 baud modem was smoking fast! :)

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,182 Moderator

I'm a dino.  I had a couple TI-99s through most of the 80s used an old cassette tape recorder to save programs then I was "using the restroom" (2B polite) in tall cotton at the dawn of the 90s with an Atari 800 XL with an honest to God external floppy drive about 92 I moved to an IBM commuter laptop that was as big as a large briefcase and had dual floppies but none had HDD.  I did manage to write a bunch of short stories and novel on the IBM though.  Got my 1st pentium homebuilt rig with HDD about 95.  That's when my programing days came to an end cause the basic was too different for me to grasp.

I have had a copy if cakewalk 9 for ages but never learned to.much of it so I'm really hoping Silar does that tutorial...

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited December 2018

As long as we're going down memory lane . . . .

Timex Sinclair --> TI99/4A --> C64 --> Amiga 2000 --> Win 95 --> (at about the same time at work I got a SGI 4D/70.  Learned to hook up a  TCP/IP network between the SGI running Wavefront and a Compaq with a Targa board and RACE accelerator running Cubicomp software.  Heady days.) --> Win NT --> Win 2000 --> WinXP --> Win7.

Literally today, I upgraded my Win7 video/graphics system to Win10 (ugh), but I have no choice as time  marches on  . . . .

Who knows what's next?  Back in the day, an SGI was $80K to $200K and SoftImage, Wavefront and Alias all cost about $30K.  Today anybody with a modern laptop (about $800), Blender (Free), HF Express (Free), VirtualDub (Free), Audacity (Free), and an iPhone (not free) can technically run rings around the (back in the day) big boys.   One thing that has not changed though -- Talent (priceless).

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,182 Moderator

@Stargazer54 that last one has always been my downfall...zip, nada, none.  Just big dreams :)

• FarscapeFarscape Website User Posts: 90
  • NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,947 Enthusiast
    edited December 2018

Common source points for most. C64 -> Atari 512 ST -> 10Mhz 286 AST PC -> Endless new PCs for a while.

300/1200 baud modem for my C64 to connect to Compuserve. 300 for browsing and 1200 for downloads. 

Used the C64 for particle physics lab class data analysis. Good old Basic. Histogram crunching of the data you can see on the scope. Half life of negative Muon cosmic ray.

Never owned one, , but I used Cray super computers (1985). Cray 1, 1S and XMP. Code did not compile/run on the Cray 2, which sucked as the account I was using had a crudload of CPU time on the 2.  This was part of a numeric simulations of plasma class. First time such a class was ever offered and the reason I graduated in December. Did one extra quarter to take the class.

I saw SGI mentioned. I once had a customer who did auto traffic simulation. They had a bank of SGI servers, yes plural, that did the 3D via GL. Now called OpenGL. The SGI stuff was not developed with our development tools. The simulation itself ran on PCs and that code was written with our development tools. Back in the day, you needed a bank of SGI machines to do 3D. Big $$$. I actually created some GL interface code for our Modula-2 dev system and did a Hello World like test program. My first, and last GL code. That code is probably older than many GL developers these days!

OpenGL has pretty close connection to the core of Hitfilm.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

I also had a TI-99/4A before my Commodore 64!

I have a few other projects this weekend to work on, but wouldn't mind to put together some kind of tutorial for the "Poor man's audio production for video" tutorial in the next week or so..  :)  I'll keep it simple and show how Cakewalk (which is free) and a few other free plugins can be used as a good audio production system for windows with zero cost.  

@NormanPCN nice!

My computer history.... Learned some BASIC on the TRS-80. Had an Atari 800 (w/48k!) and a tape drive - later a floppy. Also a ZX81. Of course other friends/schools had Apple IIs, PCs (DOS!) and C64s. Then I went through two Atari STs (1040 and 1040STe). Had to use Amigas as well, and @Stargazer54 I still had Cubicomp manuals until last year. Moved to PC in '97 and went thru Win 98, XP, 7, now 10...

@Triem23 Wow!  You still had Cubicomp manuals?!  Holy crap.

Did you ever run Cubicomp?   It hurt my head so hard.  When I got Wavefront I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Forgot to mention my time with the Commodore VIC-20. The C64 was the first one I owned myself, but my dad bought a VIC-20 some time before that. That’s where I first began dabbling with programming, including an assembly language program that animated the mouth of a little Pac-Man character.  I was probably the only kid in my neighborhood who read computer technical manuals in bed.