Playback lag/ export issues

horsefan1111horsefan1111 Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out

Hi,

I am rather new to video editing, but I have been having some issues with video playback and exporting. My video camera records videos in MTS. I use handbrake to transcode to an MP4. But when I import it to hitfilm, it lags to the point where I can't do anything with it. I have tried other suggestions like converting it to the Go pro cineform file within hitfilm, but when I export it as an MP4, it is stretched terribly. I have also tried changing the codec to an  MPEG4. This helps a little but it is still laggy. I have heard about using intermediate codecs for editing such as DNxHD, but I cannot find anything about how to convert to these files.  Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

The video playback stutter and lag in Hitfilm is due to the fact that your PC is not powerful enough for Hitfilm to perform realtime (smooth) with your source media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng

If you transcode using Handbrake then you should use fast decode settings for best performance with AVC. Still AVC is not the fastest to decode video codec but it works for many/most. PC dependent of course.

https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/42415/transcoding-to-fast-decode-avc-for-timeline-edit-performance

Cineform will be your best option for optimal video edit performance.

https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/42015/how-to-use-virtualdub-filtermod-to-fix-vfr-issues-and-convert-to-cineform

Don't worry about DNxHD. That would require you to install Quicktime and it will not perform as well as Cineform.

"I have tried other suggestions like converting it to the Go pro cineform file within hitfilm, but when I export it as an MP4, it is stretched terribly."

As for this you are going to have to be very detailed and specific about what you are talking about here. I am not going to try to guess.

Your statement implies the timeline was not stretched but the export was. This usually happens when someone does not export at the same frame rate as their timeline.

"My video camera records videos in MTS"

That sounds like your camera is recording AVCHD and it might be interlaced. Just guessing. MTS is just a generic file container like MOV/MP4/AVI. AVCHD is the most common to use the MTS container. The actual video could be many things.

The free MediaInfo program will give full specifics of your source media.

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 326 Enthusiast

Could you run a DXdiag for us and list your specs?

• horsefan1111horsefan1111 Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out

@NormanPCN Thank you so much for your help! About the cineform files, I will try to be specific but I'm not sure what will be helpful. All my lag problems are gone when I use the cineform files, but I can't export it. I have tried to export it through the Youtube mp4 setting, but it causes the actual video itself to be stretched. I thought it was because the cineform files seemed to be smaller in size (viewing size not in bytes) than the original mp4 file which caused it to stretch when turned back into an mp4. Is this what's wrong? How can I export it without it being distorted like this? My computer won't support the cineform files by itself which is why I need to export it as something else.

I also looked at my camera again and found that the codec is H264-MPEG-4 AVC

@Hictor I'm sorry but I don't know how to do that. 

• horsefan1111horsefan1111 Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out

I seriously need help.  Nothing I try fixes my problems. I tried to export the cineform file at the same frame rate as the file but the resulting mp4 is still heavily stretched. It's like the video itself is stretched but everything else is fine. as for the Mpeg 4 files, unless the mpeg 4 file is of really bad quality, it does not work in hitfilm either. What should I do?

"What should I do?"

You need to supply some information specifics about what you are doing.

"I tried to export the cineform file at the same frame rate as the file but the resulting mp4 is still heavily stretched."

We still don't know what exactly you mean by "stretched".

"export the Cineform file".

Export Cineform from what?

Hitfilm? If yes then what was the timeline media?

Is it (the Cineform export) a transcode from something like VirtualDub.

"as for the Mpeg 4 files, unless the mpeg 4 file is of really bad quality, it does not work in hitfilm either. "

I really don't know what that means. Are you saying that some files work in Hitfilm and some do not and that the ones that do work are only ones of "really bad quality". If yes, then it begs the question what is the difference between the files. I'll assume that by mpeg 4 you mean a file with an MP4 file extension and that the contents of the file are video in the AVC video codec.

---

Specifics.

What are your project/timeline settings?

What are the specs of your source media used on the Hitfilm timeline. Where did the source media come from? A camera, phone or screen capture? The text format report from the free MediaInfo utility program will provide these details.

If you transcoded source media, then what are the specs of the source given to that transcode program. What program did you use to transcode. What settings did you use to transcode. e.g. Just saying I used VirtualDub is not being specific.

"stretched" what exactly do you mean by that. Whatever this is, does it show the same on the Hitfilm timeline playback as it does on export or only on export.

For any exports from Hitfilm. What are the specific settings of the export and what was the timeline frame size and frame rate given to the Hitfilm export.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

@horsefan1111 what is the frames per second of your source media  project timeline and export?

@NormanPCN wild stab, but perhaps horsefan has edited at 60fps and output at 30 (or any other mismatch). Since Hitfilm conforms framerate on adding media to timeline, not export, that could be the issue. 

@Triem23 "wild stab, but perhaps horsefan has edited at 60fps and output at 30 (or any other mismatch). "

I guessed at that situation previous, but given the response, it made me wonder if stretched means something else to the OP.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

@NormanPCN resolution, maybe? Like mixing 4k and 1080 footage? 

This discussion has been closed.