Video Frame Cannot Be Displayed

Importing a 1080p M2TS file (MPEG-2), 24fps and I get an exclamation mark and "video frame cannot be displayed" in the preview panel.

My project file is set up for 1920x1080 at 24fps. 

What could I be doing wrong?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,073 Ambassador

Nothing. MPEG-2 is a licensed codec. In Express it requires the Formats add-on pack.

https://fxhome.com/store/hitfilm-express#formats-starter

Otherwise you could use other free software like Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip to transcode to mp4 before import to Hitfilm. Handbrake doesn't do 23.97 correctly, so MPEG STREAMCLIP is a better choice. 

• Oh ok, thanks i'll buy that and try again.  Handbreak was going to take four hours to convert to a different format.

• HamishTowgood
    HamishTowgood Posts: 7
    edited December 2018

Can now import it, but the preview freezes (audio fine) and when brought into timeline whole program freezes and crashes.  

Trying to open a saved project file and program freezes too.   Don't think im going to have much luck lol

• I guess that's one quick way of making $10 out of me.

• Triem23

What are your system specs? CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage? Are your GPU drivers current and have you run all critical OS updates?

How long is your source video?

Is your computer a Dell or Alienware?

• Toshiba x70/psplta-0dw068  Windows 10

32gb Ram, 3gb graphics (I think), 135gb free on my SSD, but I use my 1tb drive for video files.

I have to videos, one is 2 hours, one is 1 hour 40.  The final length after editing will be 2 hours.

I'm leaving my computer running overnight to convert to MP4 to see if that works.  

• Triem23

(If anyone else jumps into this thread to help, tech specs for computer are HERE.)

Ok, that answered the question about specs. Again, are your GPU drivers current? A lot of errors can be caused by obsolete GPU drivers.

Given that your videos are about 2 hours long, you really do want to transcode (and four hours to transcode four hours of footage is about right....)your files. More importantly, as you transcode your files, you probably want to split them into shorter segments, like, say, 15 minutes. NO Nle likes getting single two-hour files. The individual sizes of the files are probably greater than your system RAM. Breaking those massive files up into shorter files should solve the issues.

A little more of what's going on behind the scenes. Understand that an editor requires vastly more resources than a media player. A media player (like Windows Media or VLC) only grabs frames, throws them on screen and moves on. An editor has to be able to "think about" things. When you load in a video file Hitfilm starts building some cache files uses for waveform display and thumnail display on the timeline. If you start throwing in two hour files (Or, worse, loaded both of them at the same time), then Hitfilm might choke just having to read through the entire video to build the required cache files. Again, splitting your files into shorter segments will greatly increase Hitfilm stability and response speed. To a greater or lesser extent this applies to any and all other NLE's.

• Hi, yes my drivers are all the latest ones.

I'll look into how to split them into 15 minute segments,  That would actually help me in my editing process anyway.

• Yeah it certainly runs better when in smaller chunks.  

• I also have "Video Frame cannot  be displayed", but I checked Hitflim supported formats, it should be working well, because my video file is .vmw.

Can you help me?

• Triem23

@Fungamer4388 "WMV" is a CONTAINER file. A container file might contain one of several CODECS (COMpressor/DECompressor). The CODEC is the actual encoding scheme for how video is compressed. While Hitfilm can read a WMV container, that container might contain a codec Hitfilm doesn't read.

You'll need to download a program called "MEDIAINFO" (it's free) and use that to generate a report which you can paste back here. That will tell us more.

While we're at it, what are your system specs - CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage. Are your GPU drivers current and have you run all critical OS updates? Out of date GPU drivers can also cause issues in Hitfilm.

• Fungamer4388
    Fungamer4388 Posts: 2
    edited June 2019

Hello! I have two videos, here's one:

File size : 10.9 MiB
    Duration : 9 s 303 ms
    Overall bit rate : 9 870 kb/s
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 328 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2019-06-08 06:50:58.309
    WM/EncodingSettings : Lavf58.27.103

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : WMV2
    Codec ID : WMV2
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Video 8
    Description of the codec : wmv2
    Duration : 9 s 300 ms
    Bit rate : 9 342 kb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.150
    Stream size : 10.4 MiB (95%)
    NumberOfFrames : 264

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : WMA
    Format version : Version 2
    Codec ID : 161
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio
    Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio V8
    Duration : 9 s 303 ms
    Bit rate : 128 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 145 KiB (1%)
    NumberOfFrames : 207

Here's second one:

File size : 486 MiB
    Duration : 12 min 33 s
    Overall bit rate : 5 410 kb/s
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 256 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2019-06-07 14:00:31.640
    Copyright : iSpringSolutions
    copyright : iSpringSolutions
    WM/EncodingSettings : Lavf57.71.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : WMV2
    Codec ID : WMV2
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Video 8
    Description of the codec : wmv2
    Bit rate : 5 059 kb/s
    Width : 1 366 pixels
    Height : 768 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 24.000 FPS
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.201
    Stream size : 454 MiB (94%)
    NumberOfFrames : 18061

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : WMA
    Format version : Version 2
    Codec ID : 161
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio
    Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio V8
    Bit rate : 128 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 11.5 MiB (2%)
    NumberOfFrames : 17638

My specs:

Intel core I5 2.60 GHz

8 GB RAM

Window 10 pro

595 GB storage

2GB graphic

• I have got the same problem when I upgraded to the latest Hitfilm pro 13. I do not undestand because with the previous versions of Hitfilm I did not have this problem. I never had a problem regarding "the video frame cannot be desplayed". I think I will go back to the previous version of Hitfilm pro. The 13 sucks!

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,033 Staff

@patrickbrando as with the other users on the forum, can you please provide your machine specs as well as the format of file you're having particular difficulty with so we can investigate the cause, thanks.

• JawsMan
    JawsMan Posts: 9 Just Starting Out*

I am trying to export a video from Source Filmmaker to Hitfilm Express, and when I load it in, it says "The video frme can not be displayed" and on the video, it does "0:00:-1:45 @ inffps" How can I fix that?

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator
    edited November 2019

@JawsMan It sounds like there is something wrong with the export from Source Filmmaker (I have never heard of this program so I know nothing about it) but it would be helpful to the gurus if you would download a free program called MediaInfo and run it and post a text report of the file.  Here is a video telling how to use it if you don't already know:

Edit:  And scrolling up I see Triem23 already posted this info for someone else... Doh

• doom7
    doom7 Posts: 8 Just Starting Out
    edited October 25

I upgraded from hitfilm 16 to, 2021.2, and now not only do I have this problem, but it also persists to exported mp4.

My input file is a 40min long 1GB AVC H.264 8 bit 4:2:0 Main Profile @ Level 4, and to add, when I enabled Proxy, the

problems stopped in Viewer, however video still show up black in exported. For a third of the exported video it's fine,

then it flickers black a lot, and the last third is all black.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@doom7 Just to be tidy, I followed your original intent and added the comment to the original post and deleted the 2nd one for you.