BPM, Bars and beats

Zuvuya
Zuvuya Posts: 13 Just Starting Out
Hi,
Is there any chance by now that a timeline which you can set to Bars and Beats will be available?
Would really appreciate (need) it!
Kind regards,
Charles

Comments

• RuthLindstrom
    RuthLindstrom Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

This would be very useful and timesaving,

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,401 Ambassador

Looks like your asking for a feature request, there is a sub thread for these. I'll move it there for you.

Also to be clear, are you asking for the ability to have hitfilm identify the beats in a track and then auto cut or just to show you the best pattern?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,595 Ambassador
    edited June 15

@Andy001z There's already an existing feature request @RuthLindstrom can up vote.

Yes, I realize the link is to one of my own comments - which is odd - but it is the correct feature request thread.

That said, video comes in a limited selection of frame rates - 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 48, 50, 59.94, 60, 100, 119.9(ish), and 120. For any BPM grid to be useful it MUST be a multiple/divisor of one of these frame rates.

For European users, for example, TV shows are at 25 fps. Your CAMERAS are made to shoot 25, 50 or 100 fps. Only multiples of 25 are going to be useful BPMs. It's not possible for a BPM grid of, say, 90 to be viable. A 16th note at 90BPM is 0.375 seconds. A single frame of 24fps video is 0.04 seconds. We can drop the numbers before the decimal point here and simplify this - 375 does not divide completely into 4. The vast majority of 16th note divisions in a 90BPM piece of music are not going to hit a clean video frame boundary for 25, 50 or 100 fps video. Period.

Conversely, if editing at 29.97/30 fps (North American cameras) music at 100 or 130 BPM is almost never going to line up with a frame boundary. You will always be having to cheat your cuts early or late. It's not as timesaving as you think it will be.

And, not only does the math show it doesn't work, I can tell you from experience in Vegas Pro (which does have rulers in BPM) that a BPM ruler doesn't help much in video editing.

But, ignore my negativity here and just go up vote the feature request. 👍

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,192 Staff

Thanks for the suggestion @Zuvuya ! These guys have moved your request over the right place, please continue to let us know what you'd like to see!

• RuthLindstrom
    RuthLindstrom Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

I still feel that a bars/beats ruler would be useful and understand that only at certain tempos will line up exactly with frames but that's just something to live with - music videos work well enough despite this small inaccuracy. I'm going to import a click track with beat #1 at higher level so I can navigate visually by looking at the audio track. 2nd best but it should work. We''ll see!