Recommended PC specs for editing

HitFilmer159316HitFilmer159316 Website User Posts: 2
edited November 2018 in General

Hi guys!   Can you recommend a laptop for me to edit UHD-movies..?  My old one is about to be a bit slow..

Comments

• 3dslider3dslider Website User Posts: 16
    edited November 2018

Hi,

Edit : Sorry i was fast to make a link for you on pc desktop so here is laptop...

Best video editing laptops of 2018

or other link from creativebloq

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,714 Ambassador

That's a good place to start.   Don't skimp on CPU, GPU or RAM.   Also your power supply is critical to feed a big GPU and multiple drives.

Another great place to go to look at component prices and pre-build a system is https://pcpartpicker.com/

That will allow you to build a system "on paper" and then swap out components to work on bringing the price down.

But in the end you get what you pay for.   Quality high performance components aren't cheap.  And keep in mind that HF relies heavily on GPU for compositing and CPU for encoding/decoding.   Doesn't hurt to have an SSD drive for the OS and separate drives for video.

• monicayellemonicayelle Website User Posts: 1

For editing, you need have good CPU processor at least Intel 7th Gen, 8 GB RAM and GPU. SSD will be the benefit. https://www.thecrazybuyers.com/best-laptop-for-video-editing

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

+1 for SSDs. A mechanical HDD will bottleneck even the slowest systems, let alone the fastest.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

SSDs and even RAM drives make no appreciable difference to Hitfilm performance. Fewer faster cores on the CPU are better than more, slower cores.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador

@Palacono disagree on SSD vs HDD. Try streaming a 4k file off a 5200rpm drive that would have been considered under spec for SD footage fifteen years ago! And a lot of those drives are still sold... 

RAM doesn't particularly directly help performance, but allows for more RAM preview, and not having enough RAM can hurt performance. Still need more than enough for OS and software needs. Plus, if one is going to run other programs alongside Hitfilm... 

@Triem23 5400rpm is slow and used to be for 2.5" laptop and external drives. 3.5" used to always be 7200rpm, although WD now only offer 5400rpm 3.5" desktop drives unless you pay a premium for 7200rpm, as I discovered with a replacement recently. I tested tracking, playback and exporting on a 4K clip in all the combinations of to/from 7200rpm HDD, SSD and RAM drive (48GB RAM with 4GB set aside for RAM drive) and it made no difference at all.

That was just to check Hitfilm's general overhead without adding any effects. It seemed to be ticking to some internal timer, irrespective of the speed of the IO source/destination. But upgrading my CPU from 3.2Ghz to 3.8Ghz did make a noticeable difference.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

"But upgrading my CPU from 3.2Ghz to 3.8Ghz did make a noticeable difference."

Clock rate, clock rate, clock rate.  (all else being equal)

A bit of a real estate analogy to CPUs.

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

Nah, you still want more cores as far as budget allows.

The top clock rates no longer very that much, because all of the modern monster CPUs have dynamic overclocking that can drive one or two cores (depending on which model) at a very high clock rate, or the whole monster at a less high clock rate. The more threaded the software, the more cores it will use. The more advanced the software, the more threaded it will be in the content creation space.

That means that even if HitFilm isn't using a whole lot of threads right now, that will change -- these guys aren't sitting still...

edited February 2019

I have 12 cores/24 threads on one PC. Hitfilm isn't (capable of?) using them.

• nickcornoynickcornoy Website User Posts: 1
    edited July 27

Laptop Use me Core i5 , 500 GB hard disk and Ram 16 GB . I can fast editing  for my videos for youtube upload.

MY vlog share: [LINK REMOVED]

This discussion has been closed.