Half tone Animation?

Is it possible to animate a halftone pattern like seen below?  

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,238 Ambassador

Yup. HitFilm has Half Tone and Half Tone Color effects. Play around with them a bit and show us what you come up with!

• JacobBrooks
    JacobBrooks Website User Posts: 128

@jsbarrett

I know I have the ability to do the effect.  I meant, how do I make it all glitchy like in the background? I couldn't even find keyframes.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,238 Ambassador

There are lots of properties on those effects that can be keyframed, but to get that shifting pattern, you probably wouldn't keyframe the effect directly. The shifting pattern comes from the image data processed through the effect.

Make a composite shot that's 1080p, but only 5 frames per second, and 5 seconds long.  Add a plane, and drop the Fractal Noise effect onto it. Keyframe its Seed property to go from 0 to 30 over those 5 seconds.

Add the Half Tone effect after Fractal Noise.  Immediately you'll see how the brightness values of the noise determine the dot size of the halftone. Play through the shot, and the changing noise pattern changes the halftone pattern.

To constrict this to something like a text layer, make the text, then hide it.  Add the Set Matte effect on the layer with the noise and halftone, and set the source to the text layer.  In my test, I increased the Offset value in the Half Tone effect to .25, which tweaked how the noise is filtered by the dots.  I could've also adjusted the noise contrast to get the same result.

• JacobBrooks

@jsbarrett

I was messing around earlier and the shake effect worked pretty well, too.  

Is there a way the dots to be random sizes without keyframing it?  I'm asking because I was pretty happy with what the shake effect did. 

• CleverTagline

Sure. Just apply it onto a plane with fractal noise, and don’t keyframe the seed

• JacobBrooks

@jsbarrett

So, if one of my composite shots is 5 frames per second and I put it in a 60fps shot, would the 5fps shot stay that way?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,362 Ambassador

@JacobBrooks yes and no:

When you drop any Composite Shots or video clips onto the timeline, they are "conformed to the current timeline." This means Hitfilm "converts" the source video to a frame rate that matches the timeline, but in a way where it plays "real-time," the same cadence as the original. We'll look at two examples. The first is your situation - a 5fps source in a 60fps timeline. 

Hitfilm internally "converts" the 5fps media to 60fps media, but it duplicates frames. Basically it's treating the comp as a 60fps video, but there are blocks of 12 identical frames (60/5=12). Putting low frame rate media on a high frame rate timeline is transparent - you won't notice the change and it won't affect anything in the Edit. Rate Stretch and Speed Effects work "as you'd expect."

Lets go the other way and put a 60fps video onto a 24 fps timeline. The source is now being treated as 24 fps video, but framea are dropped... And this is important to understand, because this changes Rate Stretch and Speed effect. We have a 60fps source on a 24 fps timeline  so we should be able to Rate Stretch for smooth slow motion, right? Wrong. The conformed video is now "24 fps" and slowing it down won't use all the original frames!

To add a wrinkle in, if you change the frame rate of a video with the Media Properties in the Media Bin, this changes the playback rate of a media clip BEFORE it's conformed. Which means if you WANT to do 60fps to 24 fps slo-mo, the best way is to duplicate the footage in the Media Bin, use media Properties to change one to true 24 fps (slo-mo), rename the slo-mo version, and cut between the two for speed changes. 

• JacobBrooks

@Triem23

Thanks for the explanation!

Would the Set Matte effect work to do something like the "DC" text below?

Also, is there any easy way to do the effect on the orange line (above the text) at 0:01 in the same video?  

• CleverTagline

That little orange bit has been hand-animated. I've seen tutorials on how to do this in Adobe products. It's time-consuming, but looks awesome if you've got the chops.

Can it be mimicked in HitFilm? Sure, but again, it's not going to be a quick process. I've got some rough ideas on how I'd attempt it, but don't have the time to test or type extensive instructions. Here's the short, off-the-top-of-my-head, not-checked-for-accuracy version:

For the main blob, I'd make a mask on an orange plane. Animate the mask and scale and move it over time to get its general movement from left to right. Add some other masks that cut out holes as desired. Maybe use heat distortion to roughen up the edge.  For the trailing bits, I'd probably try a masked fractal noise plane, with the settings tweaked to leave a bunch of scaled white blobs on black (perhaps using Posterize to clamp the colors down if needed), Demult to knock out the black, and Fill Color to match the main blob's orange. Animate the seed and exposure on the noise to move the blobs and make them disappear, possibly animating the mask as well.

• JacobBrooks

@jsbarrett

Thanks for the explanation.  What about the image inside "DC" that I mentioned above?

• CleverTagline

Sorry. Missed that question. Yes, once you've got your main image processed with color, halftone, etc, you'd drop that comp into another comp, then use Set Matte and target a text layer so the processed version takes the shape of the text. Or if you were able to do all effects directly on a single layer (i.e. not layering various things to get the end result), then you could just apply Set Matte to the one layer, targeting some text.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!