12 months of updates - A recap

GavinBarkerGavinBarker StaffWebsite User Posts: 98
edited November 2018 in General

12 months since our enormous update release shake-up, we wanted to document some of the improvements we've made and show why your feedback is so important!

Read More 

Comments

• BobDiMarzioBobDiMarzio Website User Posts: 632 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2018

Thanks @GavinBarker for starting this post so I may ask a question.   If I choose to wait a bit to  renew my Hitfilm Pro, how much time until I must pay full price and not the renewal fee ie  $179.40 ?

Thanks,

Bob

• TxH003TxH003 Website User Posts: 37 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2018

I am still waiting for some editor improvements.  Although I am sure the crew at FXHome is working hard, nothing implemented since my 12-month subscription plan commenced has impacted the way I work in Hitfilm Pro and are mostly unnoticeable.

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 925 Enthusiast

@TxH003 agreed some are mostly effect based  changes but we need editor improvements too

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

@Andersen01498 @TxH003 you're objectively incorrect on that statement. v6 added new effects filters, v11 also added new effects filters, but the v6.x and all 7.x, 8.x, 9.x and 10.x versions had some form of improvement to editing  whether the new layout panel, changes to the export queue, changes to the trimmer and mask handling  changes to how codecs are handled, enhancements to the Options menus  changes to the viewer panel, changes to the media panel, changes to how media is handled/created  etc. If you read through the updates log for the last year many more changes, enhancements and upgrades were made to base editing features than new VFX features.

I'm counting the new text effect and rewrite of text layers as "editing" not VFX. Titles and subtitles are grunt work.

Now, the features you're asking for might not have been implemented yet (and I can say the same) , but that's not the same as "every update has been VFX."

Reminder, mods (like me) do NOT work for FXHOME. I'm just a user who can delete spam.

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 925 Enthusiast
    edited November 2018

@Triem23  You are very correct on that I totally "forgot" about those ones, I guess I kinda got all caught up griping.  I just sometimes get frustrated when there are features that need to be implemented first and it seems like they are not getting implemented (my opinion).  I  do totally realize that they have done a lot and they are a small team.   @JoshDavisCeo I don't want to be rude or a pest when it comes to these things but  I think it would be very educational for the hitfilm users and I could get an insight on how the developers prioritize their updates.  This may be just me but is there a concrete strategy when doing these updates or is it just one day, do they say let's do this?  How do the developers go down the wishlist of items?    If we knew more about what goes behind the scenes maybe there would be less complaining in the future?    

Thanks for your understanding

• TxH003TxH003 Website User Posts: 37 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2018

@Triem23 I did not know about HitFilm until version 7 when I purchased it on a whim .  Therefore, I can only base my feedback from that time onward in terms of implemented features.  Of the new features implemented since purchase, none were things that contributed much value-add to my personal workflow, but that is surely not representative of all users.

For clarification, when I stated editor improvements, a few select items high on my list are the continuation of playback while performing modifications, timeline markers and global timeline layers.  The said items are improvements I would immediately notice in my workflow and appreciate on a regular basis. The features actually delivered to date since purchase, at least for me, not so much.

The aforementioned statement is not intended to discredit the efforts and hard work of the FXHome team,  but more of a reflection of my own expectations not being fulfilled at this stage of my 12-months of eligible updates.  For any of my desired features that would lead to continued support via an upgrade purchase, others users probably would not care so much as well.  That is life, but I hope some of them are addressed over time.

Maybe a posted future development roadmap would help refrain expectations going forward.  If there is one available, please let me know and I will track keep tabs on it.  Until then, I will wait for another sale after some of the things that are beneficial to me are added.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,029 Ambassador

@TxH003 I'm not sure if Josh would be willing to share a roadmap for future development. He'll occasionally hint at things that are definitely coming in the near future, but will never give specific timelines for the release of specific features.  Why? My gut says that while the dev team is most likely very structured and organized with their development efforts, even the best-laid plans change from time to time.  Features that they thought would go out with a certain release may get held off until later for one reason or another. Having worked in the tech development and support side of an animation studio, I saw numerous situations when a given project had to get set aside because something came up that completely changed our priorities, and therefore the release schedule. I also had an animation tool of my own that I was developing for many years, and which became pretty popular. At one point I thought it was safe to tease a certain feature that I felt I could get knocked out "soon." Then life jumped in the way, and long story short, I didn't touch the code for a LONG time. Lesson learned.

I can't think of any company that develops software being willing to give users a development roadmap. My gut says that the internal roadmap known only to FXhome staff changes frequently (for reasons, again, known only to them).  If there are complaints now when users can't see the roadmap, imagine how those complaints would increase when an ever-changing roadmap is visible to everyone.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

"I can't think of any company that develops software being willing to give users a development roadmap. My gut says that the internal roadmap known only to FXhome staff changes frequently (for reasons, again, known only to them).  If there are complaints now when users can't see the roadmap, imagine how those complaints would increase when an ever-changing roadmap is visible to everyone."

ON1 did such a roadmap with the ON1 raw 2017 release. It was a pretty aggressive schedule and they never met it. They got beat up over this big time. ON1 learned their lesson and do not publish a roadmap. They do let some things "leak" out in a Youtube overview promo video at release, but with no timeline. Just sometime in the 2019 lifecycle. In 2019 they did promote an upcoming feature (AI masking), promised one month after release. They probably did that so people like me wanting the old quick mask feature to return to the app would have even more incentive to upgrade.

--

I know Josh has mentioned that recent features added were due to customer requests. I don't see emails and I don't read Youtube video comments. The wishlist most frequent requests have generally not been making the grade. Some are big, like Sequences, so... Forum users see the forum wishlist and see the releases so I can understand forum users with some complaint(s). One example is the viewer on screen property widgets. I don't remember any such requests but I think it is a good thing even if none requested it. Although for some things like Blur it is not very useful due to the scale of change. 1 pixel of viewer movement is too much of a blur change. We mostly use small blurs and not blur into oblivion settings, but I digress.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

I'd like to be able to turn those darn on-screen widgets off. I hate them, but you can only turn off everything, which means you can't control any parameters other than by changing the numbers on the layers themselves - which for changing any Effect's position values is pretty impractical - if you do. 

Why no: 'like it was before' option?

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 296 Staff
    edited November 2018

@Palacono Options -> Show Effect Controls.

Edit: Ah, I see. You can turn off the circle, but which then turns off something like a Light Flare's position point. Is that what you mean?

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited November 2018

@JavertValbarr Yep. Also ends of Lightning, Lightswords, Bulge centre, etc. etc. Basically everything you could do before the circles arrived can't be adjusted without the circles visible.

Having to keep clicking away from the effect to get them to clear off the screen is annoying too. A dot or small 'x' wasn't distracting before. Dotted and solid circles with little arrows all over the place are.

You missed the other Options ->Show Effect Controls (in File-> Options etc. Yes, it is confusing...) which turns them On, or ON, depending on whether you've already saved the project once with them Off, then changed it to On, saved it again then decided you wanted it Off again. Too late. It's On or ON now. Unless you use the other Options ->Show Effect Controls, which may, or may not have been the one you were referring to. ;) One of them is redundant.

They're not a cure for everything and in some instances there are several 'adjusters' crammed into a single tiny dot in the centre (sometimes it's actually invisible until you start poking about), and you have to drag each of them out one by one. Which one will it decide you wanted to select? It's a surprise. So you have to go back to the layer controls and undo the others anyway.

It's not a bug, as such - well the redundant one in File-> is, but that can just be removed - and there are no other 3-way switches in the UI (Off, Half, Full?) so I'm not confident it will change, but I'll re-add it to the wishlist.

• PeteldorePeteldore Website User Posts: 2
    Hitfilm Express Whether I am in Layers or view I cannot see what colour changes are happening until play What am I doing wrong
  • tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,171 Moderator
    edited December 2018

@Peteldore I would  bet any potential lottery money I might have that the paused quality settings are causing tge issue here.  Luckily for you, FilmSensei put this handy video out before his sabbatical:

It will most likely get you sorted out.  Hope it helps you out.

• GrisbyGrisby Website User Posts: 299 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2018

EDIT: forget about it, I found it simply under the Link "Install". ;-)

I got two Questions, perhaps I'm right here:
    1. I got Version 11.0.8319.47197 - my 12-month subscription plan ended on 29th November 18. - Is that the last Version, I can have (at the Moment I dont want to renew). If not, where do I get "older Versions"?
    2. If I want to re-install or install on another PC: where Do I find the right Install-Files for me (likely the sae Question with another Background).
    Thx in Advance,
    Chris

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

@Grisby correct, whatever version was released as of 11/29/2018 is the most recent you should install. Anything later than that will revert to Demo mode.

You can manage activations from your Account page on this website. 

All installers back to Hitfilm 4 can be found here: https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-pro/whats-new/

This discussion has been closed.