HE Export Progress Error - Elapse Over 3 hours

stephen_esseenynestephen_esseenyne Website User Posts: 28 Just Starting Out

Hello

I just did a quick search to see if this had been addressed and  it appears not.

The problem I am about to mention happened last week and again today and the common factor in both appears to be the elapse time when exporting. In my case when I pass the three hour mark and nearing 3h30m the export stops and the Progress shows Error (red). The warning sign underneath says "Process finished unexpectedly".

I thought it might be size of the MP4 file but my SanDisk flash drive has nearly 30Gb,so I know it has nothing to with the size of the file,

I stated that this had occurred last week and I got around the issue by splitting the export in three (Export >  In-Out Area), which worked. However when I brought in the three files into a new project for exporting as one,  the error returned. But not all was lost, I had to install another editor (clue Mona Lisa) to export the three as one. So, alas, there is a get-around.

I've had HE for over a year now using the same Acer / Swift 1 laptop and made over 250 videos with HE (thank you) but this issue has not happened before last week and thought best to log it for others who might have the same issue.

Also, this is the third issue I have discovered since the last upgrade and before the recent bug fix update. The other two were to do with Text (the change in character spacing selection, and WYSIWYdontG in the Export file).

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,039 Ambassador

"I thought it might be size of the MP4 file but my SanDisk flash drive has nearly 30Gb,so I know it has nothing to with the size of the file"

You're exporting to a flash drive?  As in a USB stick? That may be the problem right there. Depending on how the OS decides to deal with it, flash drives might not always stay mounted perpetually. Sometimes they unmount themselves after a period of time -- heck, I've got a backup hard drive that occasionally unmounts itself arbitrarily -- and if a volume unmounts while an application attempting to write to it (and/or read from it), I can imagine that just might trigger a "finished unexpectedly" error.

Why not export to your primary hard drive?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Also, depending on how the flash drive is formatted  it might not be able to have a single file larger than 4GB. If it's formatted as FAT32, that could be the problem. The fix would be to reformat as NTFS. 

• stephen_esseenynestephen_esseenyne Website User Posts: 28 Just Starting Out

Thanks again guys for your comments. Much appreciated. I don't think this it, because I've used another editor and it worked.

This means it isn't my laptop either.

There's something about HE and processing an export after 180 minutes, because it had happened twice about this mark.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,039 Ambassador

"I don't think this it, because I've used another editor and it worked."

Maybe, maybe not. What size file did the other editor create? If it was smaller than 4GB and the flash drive was formatted FAT32, then that's not conclusive evidence.

You also haven't mentioned why you're exporting to a flash drive and not a hard drive. Have you tried exporting to a hard drive? If so, does it similarly tap out after about three hours?

"Maybe, maybe not. "

The fact is. It did. The editor created a 3GB file. The properties of the flash drive showed it was FAT32. I cannot say if it was conclusive evidence or not. Although I love computing I am not uber techy. However I cannot rule out the fact that the editor has come to my rescue on both occasions. 

I export to a flash drive, because in the past it has always worked for me and my Acer/Swift 1 laptop has less RAM than the Flash. I do use both, and use the last location that worked for me. But it changes. Suffice it is to say, the Flash has 30GB and is more than the laptop. I always export to the hard drive but this time I had to to the Flash drive because it had insufficient disk space.  Therefore Windows fails before HE has chance too. 

Today I had discovered that I cannot move 6GB of files to a flash drive with 30GB free, and when I open the Flash folder it tells me it needs fixing, which Windows did, but the move of 6GB (81 files) cannot be done without Windows claiming there is still insufficient disk space on the Flash. So I reformatted the Flash with the latest version of SD Formatter, but Windows is still adamant. Currently I am moving the files over, successfully so far, in batches of twenty.

I enjoy your replies. I really do. Thank you and thank you for your time and efforts in helping me. Much appreciated.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

One thing I'm unclear about - are you crashing 3 hours into elapsed render time or 3 hours of project time? I.e. Is your final video more than 3+ hours? 

Still trying to figure things out, but I'm limited in that I'm actually half a world away from my editing comp  so I'm working from memory and can't test anything. 

Hello, @Triem23, it is the render time. In fact it is just before 3h30m.

I wonder if HE or Windows or the computer (Acer/Swift1) limits processing to this duration? It seems to be a timer somewhere. Maybe.

It's not Hitfilm. My single longest render took 48+ hours. 

It's possible you have something in your Windows Power Settings putting something to sleep

If it's the same project crashing, it could be something on that particular frame, like a particularly complex effects sequence (note final renders often take more processing power than editing because the viewer usually has antialiasing disabled, and AA is always on a final render).

What are your specs? CPU, GPU  OS RAM and storage? What Antivirus are you running? You mentioned you're rendering to a flash drive because of low hard drive space - Windows and Hitfilm require a certain amount of space on your boot drive for caching. If drive space is critically low  that could be an issue.

These are questions I should have asked a couple of days ago - that's "figuring out the problem 101." Silly me! 

edited November 2018

"The fact is. It did. The editor created a 3GB file."

Sorry. My "Maybe, maybe not" wasn't in reference to whether or not the other editor exported a file. It was in reference to "I don't think this is it," which appeared to be your reply to Mike's mention of the filesystem on the flash drive being a possible culprit.

"I always export to the hard drive but this time I had to to the Flash drive because it had insufficient disk space."

This may be the problem here, which @Triem23 also hinted at in his comment. Even though you told HitFilm to save the final file to your flash drive, it doesn't just build the file there from the start.  In fact, I don't think this is unique to HitFilm.  To my knowledge, most media applications (video editors, audio editors, 3D animation software, etc.) use temporary space on the primary system drive while building an export/render, and then copy that file to the target location when finished.  If you don't have enough space on your system drive for the temp file, then the export is going to choke when it reaches the limit of the available space, regardless of how much free space there may be on the drive where the final file will go.

@Triem23

No, you're right. I apologise for losing the real perspective of this issue, which is to log it; if others can do same, we may have a case to present to the coders. If it's just me it's only right the FXH team should not devote their time to it.

Specs are;

Intel Premium quad core processor N3710

Intel HD Graphics

eMMC 64GB

4 GB DDR3 L

Antivirus is McAfee LiveSafe.

You're not being silly. You're trying to help. Thank you. ?

@jsbarrett

I see. I didn't think of that. I'm sorry that this thread is growing unnecessary. My intention really was to log this.

It's progression, as HE grows, my laptop has to take the brunt of it.

Oops. Now we've found the real problem. 

Ok, Stephen, here's the bad news. Hitfilm minimum specs include an Intel i3 or higher and HD 4000 GPU or higher. Your Pentium is under minimum specs for Hitfilm and its HD 405 is also under minimum specs for Hitfilm. 

Unfortunately this means you can not expect stable performance from Hitfilm. Until/unless you have the opportunity to upgraded to a more powerful machine, Hitfilm won't be your editor of choice.

Sorry, man. 

You are funny.

I thought you'd found the problem (as in a soluble one).

I knew I should've got the Chromebook. LOL!

I've been trying every editor going but always came back to HE, because I didn't have the major lag issues I had with the others.

Thanks for your time and trouble. Maybe I'll get a half price MacPro or something on Friday. ?

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

You've also barely got enough RAM to open a document in Word and watch a YouTube video in the background at the same time. I'm amazed Hitfilm worked at all.

It's probably swapping data it would like to put in the RAM you don't have to Virtual RAM (i.e. a file on the eMMC), running out of space and keeling over. Upgrade your RAM and/or add another USB drive in another port and tell it to use that as ReadyBoost.

@Palacono, I dunno... I think a year ago everything suited the specs. Upgrades always bloat the software. It has too. Like the Windows upgrades. 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

Ok. Best of luck. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,948 Enthusiast
    edited November 2018

That machine spec has never met Hitfilm min specs. 

Upgrades do add size the app. Not as much as you might think. Just look at the installer sizes from V6 to V11. On the order of 20K.

20K? I never would've guessed. I don't think the same can be said about the OS updates.

In fact Windows sometimes suggests removing updates.

This discussion has been closed.