Inverting direction of extenion in neon path effect

SYMI3OL
SYMI3OL Website User Posts: 29 Just Starting Out

Hey all

This might be a very simple question but i couldn't find a solution for me.

I used the neon path effect on a freehand mask and keyframed the extention from 0 to 100. Effect now runs counterclockwise on the mask. 
My question is pretty much what the title says: Is there an easy fix to make the effect run clockwise without having to recreate the mask?

Best regards an thanks in advance

Comments

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,876 Ambassador

Reverse the Start Width and End Width numbers. So for example, they are by default set to 0 and 3, so make them 3 and 0.

• SYMI3OL
    edited November 2018

But that won't change the direction in which the createt path "grows"?
    Probably i should have specified a little more:

I used the effect to recreate the evolving path of a racing track for a graphic application. Start end End width are the same as in the end of the animation the track as a whole should be visible. Right now however the track "grows" from the start finish line in the wrong direction. 

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,238 Ambassador

@SYMI3OL Which specific version of HitFilm are you using? I just tested it in the latest HitFilm Pro (10.1), and the extension property grows the line in a clockwise direction for me.

Here's a possible workaround if it refuses to cooperate on its own, assuming that you have Neon Path on a different layer than your footage of the race track.  Invert the X scale of the footage (break the scale link, then set the X scale value to -100).  Adjust the shape of your mask on the Neon Path layer to match this flipped version of the track. Once you're done, reset the scale on the footage to normal, and set the X scale on the Neon Path layer to -100.  The animated path should match the track, but it should progress clockwise because it's flipped.

• SYMI3OL
    edited November 2018

@jsbarrett I'm using the latest version of HitFilm Pro as well. 
    In hindsight I figured out that the direction of the path directly depends on the direction i was drawing the mask. Say if i create a rectangle and I start bottom left -> to  bottom right -> to top -> close and apply the effect it will move in the opposite way as when i create the rectange from bottom left -> top -> bottom right -> close.

I'll try your workaround! Thanks for the suggestion.

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,448 Enthusiast

Keyframe the Evolution from -1x to 0x over the same distance your Extension is keyframed from 0% to 100% and it'll go backwards.

Add another keyframe of +1x and the Extension from 100% to 0% and it'll undraw itself in the same direction it drew itself.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,876 Ambassador

@Palacono has got it. Essentially what will happen is the "front" of the line will move backward along the mask while the "back" of the line keeps extending to stay in its stationary position. Very nice!

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,238 Ambassador

@SYMI3OL "In hindsight I figured out that the direction of the path directly depends on the direction i was drawing the mask."

Odd. In my test earlier, the drawing direction made no difference. I drew a mask counter-clockwise, but the neon path still extended clockwise.

Good solution from @Palacono. I almost figured that out, but had to leave for a job and didn't have time to fully wrap my head around the correct relationship between the properties that would make it work.

• SYMI3OL

@jsbarrett you are right. The path extends in the opposite direction I draw it. So if i draw the maks clockwise it extends counter-clockwise and vice versa. That's what I meant when I said it directly depends on the direction I'm drawing it. Sorry if i confused you with my choice of words, not a nativ speaker. 

@Palacono awsome and easy way! Thanks a lot!

Topic solved thanks to everyone helping me out! :)

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!