what is the best video format to "jump" between different video editing software?

HitFilmEnthusiastHitFilmEnthusiast Website User Posts: 25
edited November 2018 in Practical Filmmaking

My old Sony camera shoots only in MTS format, I then tend to do some easy things in Sony Vegas, render and then finishing in Hitfilm. Normally I don`t care so much but this time video clips were made in a very poor environment meaning that in order to prevent further losses I need to have  lossless videos out from Vegas. 

Would like to hear some recommendations, maybe someone also switches from one software to another, just wanna know what would be the best format, the crucial settings and how Hitfilm handles lossless formats...because it`s pretty slow even with low-quality mpeg4\avi. Maybe proxy would solve it though. I`m on Windows btw, if it matters somehow.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

There are very few lossless formats in video and they are space hogs. 

I would recommend Cineform export from Vegas. Not lossless, but very good. Personally I find Medium quality good enough. Go for High to be a little paranoid. The Filmscan settings are designed for 6k/8k media, so would be serious overkill  but you can use those to be ultra paranoid.

If your final export is for YouTube  Vimeo or Blu-ray the final export is going to end up as a fairly low bit rate mp4 and end up somewhat mangled. You shouldn't need a true lossless, but those choices would be Uncompressed AVI (huge, and slow to deal with) or PNG image sequence (no audio). 

Cineform is your best quality/performance option overall.

Without going into detail, "low quality" mp4 is actually harder for an NLE to deal with. Footage has to be uncompressed before display, so, the smaller the file is compressed  the harder the comp works to reconstruct the full image. 

• HitFilmEnthusiastHitFilmEnthusiast Website User Posts: 25
    edited November 2018

Thanks a lot! Nice options here, and especially thanks for explaining mp4 issue. Will try it soon!

______

Just started to have a look, Cineform has the encoded format to choose aside from the quality: YUV 422, RGB 444 and RGBA which I think I don`t need for sure now. But what about first 2? Seems like RGB 444 is for better quality stuff.

edited November 2018

So I tried every possible settings combination in Cineform, and I have to say i`m not satisfied with all of them, there`s a huge easily visible degradation mostly noticeable because of lots of blur on every frame. Could be fine for some videos but not for chromakeying. Strange but Uncompressed AVI didn`t show a better result. Will contunue experimenting with other options

• ManhitManhit Website User Posts: 35 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2018

Hi HitFilmEnthusiast,

I use mjpeg (Morgan) to transfer between programs. It creates large files but seems to require less computational power to edit. This may give you the quality you are looking for.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

"Strange but Uncompressed AVI didn`t show a better result."

If Uncompressed AVI was not acceptable then you have something else going on with your quality issue(s).

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@HitFilmEnthusiast

Any chance you could upload some screenshots showing how your transcoded footage is different to your original footage?

As Norman says, if the uncompressed AVI isn't good enough then there's something else going on

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

First guess. Interlaced source footage improperly transcoded without deinterlace, and the blur is actually combing. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@HitFilmEnthusiast Since uncompressed AVI is showing the same problems be sure to check your full resolution rendering quality and resample project settings. The rendering quality settings are confusing because they're named after quality settings but don't really adjust anything directly related to rendering. Instead, the different settings change the scaling method, how interlaced fields are handled and whether or not to resample the framerate if you have clip(s) with a different framerate than the project. There are well documented cases where "Best" will produce a much lower quality result than "Preview" or even "Draft".

The resample function has to do with conforming differing frame rates and can cause excessive blur and/or ghosting depending on what all is going on like converting interlaced to progressive, clips with different framerates or speed ramping.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

+1 on the interlaced comment. MTS is probably from an AVCHD camera, which is probably interlaced. Without a good deinterlace to progressive you are likely to see issues.

edited November 2018

Wow, didn`t expect so many replies! Thans everyone for participation!

Ok, yes, my camera is AVCHD, not even a semi-professional\amateur, just a portable camera for tourists. The format it`s recording  is 50p. Could set interlace or less framerate, but it`s always set to Progressive.

So far the option that works is obvious and was suggested earlier, I render PNG sequence and do another render for audio only. That gives me no visible degradation at all, not the most elegant way, though.

Sorry, can`t post any screenshots, it`s a very delicate thing recorded haha

This discussion has been closed.