Cintiq alternatives for 3d animators?

Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 940 Enthusiast

Hi,  I am a student that is currently going to school for 3d animation?  Does anybody know any budget-friendly alternatives for the Wacom Cintiq( tablet with the computer screen on it)   Main purpose 3d animation....not much of a 2d animator?  Thanks  

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador

I have an Xp-Pen 13. Works well for me. When I researched Cintiq alternatives myself, Xp-Pen was constantly on the top 5, top 8 and top 10 lists. They make 10,13,15 and 21 inch models. 

• Andersen01498Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 940 Enthusiast

@Triem23 would this work well with 3ds max or maya?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador

Couldn't tell you. I haven't done serious 3D modeling in decades. For my uses it's great as a "mirror" of my main screen for 2D art/photo editing, and as a second monitor in Vegas or Hitfilm. Cintiq type displays are, of course, touching a pen directly on a screen. I could see that being useful when using sculpting tools or selecting vertices and doing certain types of deformation editing. Otherwise, I just don't have experience using that type of interface device in those programs. 

Hell, I haven't touched 3D Studio MAX since 1999!

Maybe @jsbarrett or @NxVisualstudio would have insight? 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador
    edited November 2018

The only Wacom tablet I ever owned was their cheap 8" Graphire many many many many moons ago. Even at my last studio job before I left to go solo, we didn't have that kind of gear.  One of my animator friends who is also a skilled artist who was able to convince the studio to buy him a Cintiq to work with, but that was definitely the exception, and I'm not even sure how much he used it for animation. Not all animators like to work that way.

Anyway, I haven't had the desire or the funds to even think about Cintiq alternatives, so I'm afraid I can't offer any useful input. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.