FXHome, scripts and short films.

DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

Throwing this out there for opinions.
What if FXHome ran a story or script-writing competition where the prize is to have it turned into a short film?

Comments

• GavinBarkerGavinBarker Staff Website User Posts: 98

This is a wonderful idea @DafterThings

I'll bring this up at the next team meeting and we'll see what happens! :) 

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

Excellent. Thanks Gavin.

• rutxerrutxer Website User Posts: 176
  • FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,294 Ambassador

@DafterThings You could just submit one of your Lego short film scripts. They are awesome, and I would love to see Josh get kneed in the groin! Lol! :)

• Xhan47Xhan47 Website User Posts: 148
    edited December 2018

Thanks all for the backup.  

Obviously, I think this would be a good idea for FXHome but I am also being selfish 
    I'm not, for one moment, suggesting I have a sure-fire winning idea but there's more chance of it being made by entering a competition than ever making it myself.

edited December 2018

@DafterThings Though it may have come from that place, don't think your the only one who has a killer idea that they think would light up the contest.

Not necessarily cause I couldn't do it, but I would love to see what they would do with it, and practice some more of my script writing skills in the process.

(And a writers credit on an official FX Home Short film would give me some nice exposure.) 

@Xhan47  

Absolutely.  Contests are fantastic things not just because of any prizes (although they are nice) but they give you the  focus to complete a task, be creative in a given topic or have an opportunity you wouldn't normally get. 

TBH : I haven't thought through the logistics. What if they got a 1000 submissions?  Is that a good thing?

edited December 2018

@DafterThings

Agreed.

They would need a lot more than 1 script reader. 

Though since It's a contest my guess would be there are going to have to be limits like: Script can only be 3 pages long, only the first 100 submissions are accepted, stuff like that.

Otherwise, they're gonna get buried in a hole. Cause no one is going to read 1,000 10 minute paged submissions.

Just look at what Film Riot did with there recent Short Film contest. The Short Film had to be sixty seconds including credits. We might very well have to tell our story in 1 page, so they can go through all the entries.

It will be up to them, but there will have to be limitations, to safeguard things like that.

This discussion has been closed.