What Am I Doing Wrong - Shadows?

theclone56
theclone56 Website User Posts: 16
I'm sure it's probably something stupidly simple that I'm overlooking, but I can't seem to get my shadows to work. I've got a 3D comp going, with a keyed piece of footage as a 3D layer, a 3D plane, and a spotlight. Spotlight is set to cast shadows, plane is set to receive shadows, footage is set to cast shadows, and shadows are checked under render options. But I'm not getting any shadows going on, and I can't seem to find anything in the reference manual. Is it something to do with my layer order or something? Screen grab is attached.
[attachment=81:shadows.png]

Comments

• Majahr
    Majahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 567 Enthusiast
    Hi.
    I'm not sure, what you're doing wrong, but if this is what you're looking for:
    [img]http://www.monkeybits.de/HitFilm/forum/images/bluescreenshadow.jpg[/img]
    You may download the corresponding file and take a look on it:
    Project file (normal)
    Project file (zipped)
    Best regards,
    Marc
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    edited July 2011
    Layer order won't matter, but you do need to make sure that the spotlight is positioned correctly in relation to the 3D layer, and that it is pointed in the right direction. I can't tell from your screencap whether the light is oriented properly, but that's the first thing to double-check.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    You have a grade layer between the light and the 3D layers. Grade layers split the render order into separate 3D spaces, so the light exists in a different 3D render area to the other layers, and therefore doesn't affect them.
  • Majahr
    @Simon: Yes, you're right, but why does the grade layer effect the layers beneath them - it's invisible?
    Regards,
    Marc
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    The grade layer's presence on the timeline always splits the rendering, even if the layer is invisible. Whether this is 'correct' or not I'm not sure - what do people think? There may well be a very good technical reason for it working like that, of course...
  • Majahr
    Hmm...you can setup an invisible 2D-plan to still receive shadows - that's cool, so the invisible flag let the layer itself interacting with the scene. Grade layers don't have this interaction so I expect, that the flattern-effect won't be enabled if the grade layer itself has been set to invisible...maybe, an extra "active" property makes sense??
    Regards,
    Marc
  • theclone56
    theclone56 Website User Posts: 16
    Thank you guys. I moved the grade layer up and my shadows suddenly popped into place.