Sleep while exporting

TiwatsTiwats Website User Posts: 1

Hi,

Earlier I was exporting multiple files while doing some light work on Chrome. I had to go to lunch, so I left the computer on Chrome. Since I left the computer for longer than the sleep timer and Chrome doesn't prevent your computer from sleeping, my export stopped when the screen slept.

If I keep my pc window on Hitfilm Express when I leave my computer, will the hitfilm window prevent my pc from sleeping (and not break my export)?

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,043 Ambassador

I hate to say this, but probably the easiest way to find out is to run a test.  I usually don't need/want to walk away while exporting. I'll browse the web, catch up on email, etc., so I don't have first-hand experience with the system sleeping mid-export.

What OS are you on? I think that Windows and Mac operating systems may deal with sleep mode differently. For example, I will leave my Mac email client open while I'm away at work, and the system eventually goes to sleep. However, the email client will still filter incoming messages to different mailboxes even while the system is "sleeping." Because of that, my gut tells me that a HitFilm export would keep running in sleep mode, but again, I wouldn't know for certain without a test.

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast

Its gone to sleep on me before.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,043 Ambassador

Just dug a little deeper. Looks like the Mac OS has a feature called "Power Nap," which leaves certain operations (like email) functioning while the rest is asleep. Interesting...

I just ran a test now to see what happens when the system sleeps during an export. I set my sleep time to 1 minute, and opened an old project that takes just over double that time than that to export.  Kicked off the export, then released the mouse and watched. At just over a minute, the screen went black. I walked away and did a few other things. Came back, clicked the mouse button to reactivate the system, and logged in. Interestingly enough, HitFilm had merely paused the export while the system was asleep, and continued once I logged in. It finished cleanly, and the export looked good.

So, on the plus side, the Mac version doesn't leave a corrupted export when the system goes to sleep. However, the export doesn't continue while sleeping, so the only remedy is to manually set the sleep timer really high (or to the "Never" setting if your system has one).

• DannyDevDannyDev Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 338 Staff

@jsbarrett

"Just dug a little deeper. Looks like the Mac OS has a feature called "Power Nap," which leaves certain operations (like email) functioning while the rest is asleep. Interesting..."

'Power Nap' is disabled for applications that use OpenGL directly.

"Interestingly enough, HitFilm had merely paused the export while the system was asleep, and continued once I logged in. It finished cleanly, and the export looked good."

When the OS 'sleeps' it pages all processes in RAM to disk and suspends them. That's not HF suspending it's export queue, that's the entire processes being frozen. When the OS 'wakes', the processes are paged back and thawed.

To answer the OP's question, HF can't do anything to prevent the system from sleeping nor can it continue. If you need to export overnight, you need to disable system sleep.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

"If you need to export overnight, you need to disable system sleep."

We would never let production systems (Windows) go to sleep and disabled the function.  Also setting the screen saver to Black rather than some graphic moving across the screen will  save some CPU cycles.  Bottom line is if you intend to have the computer work while you sleep, turn all that crap off.

This discussion has been closed.