Issues Importing MOV Files To Hitfilm (Old Version)

WixardboyWixardboy Website User Posts: 22
edited October 2018 in HitFilm

I recently got a new computer and I tried to use my copy of Hitfilm Pro 2017 to edit a video I made with a friend. I recorded in MOV, so I installed the Quicktime player and restarted my PC. Now when I try to import most of my MOV recordings, Hitfilm just freezes. The only issue I could think of is my system running from a hard drive, but even then I'd never had issues like this on my old system and my new one has 16 GB of Optane, which should in theory at least help accelerate the drive. Shorter files still seem to work, though I haven't found a definite limit.

Using Hitfilm Pro 2017.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 8700
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
32 GB 1600MHz DDR4 memory
2 TB HDD with 16GB Intel Optane drive

Thanks for responding!

Comments

• WixardboyWixardboy Website User Posts: 22

Alright, It's just slow to load— really slow. It took about 5 minutes to load in the requested file, but I guess there's nothing that I can really complain about since I haven't upgraded to the new version (which kind of sucks because I can't afford it, though I respect FXhome's business plan.)

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

How big are the files you're trying to import? Also, what format and codec do the files use? Are you transcoding before importing?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,273 Ambassador

To pre-answer what @jsbarrett is getting at, no NLE likes really long files. If you're bringing in something like an hour long single video, using a free transcoding program like MPEG Streamclip to break the video into, say, 10 min segments will improve Hitfilm performance greatly.

Justin (jsbarret) will confirm this... I gave him the same tip. 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

...and my editing experience in HitFilm has been SO much smoother since I took that advice from @Triem23

And if you have no idea what I meant when asking about transcoding, make some time to watch this:

This discussion has been closed.