Why So Many Horror Films Fail / THE NUN Analysis

JacksonGary
JacksonGary Posts: 29 Just Starting Out

Here's a video I made about horror in general, as well as a (no spoilers) review about The Nun (2018)! Hope you find this enjoyable/helpful. Has anyone here seen and really liked The Nun? I didn't really, but would love to hear what you have to say!

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,342 Ambassador

Great essay! While I haven't seen The Nun (and won't because I'm not into horror), I feel like you made some really solid points.  Another way to describe the "tension" element is the more generic idea of contrast. From the sounds of it, there wasn't the right balance of contrasting moments in The Nun compared to the other films you listed.  I kind of felt the same way with Transformers: The Last Night.  So much time was spent on scenes with action and big impressive visuals, and too little time on scenes that could have given the story some depth (which it desperately needed).

Anyway, great breakdown, and a nice edit of the essay as well.  My only crit on that front (if you're accepting those) is with the "Plot" and "Tension" titles. I feel they could've been on the screen a little less time. I would've preferred to cut back to your on-camera narration for a moment before cutting to the film samples, rather than dragging the titles out in order to avoid doing that.

• JacksonGary

@jsbarrett thanks! Yeah, always open to feedback:)

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,414 Enthusiast
    edited October 2018
  • CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,342 Ambassador

@Palacono From other clips I've seen, the character doesn't always look like that.  In many scenes the face area is completely black. My hunch is that thumbnail is a frame from one of the rare moments the title character allows her/its face to be seen. 

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Posts: 985 Enthusiast
    edited October 2018

I gave up with 'schlock' horror after realising films like The Sixth Sense scared me MUCH more.
    I cared about the characters. I dreaded being in the boys situation and couldn't think how I would get out of it myself.  Nightmare on Elm Street was similar. 

<edit> Sorry.... forgot to mention really enjoyed the video as well. 

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,272 Staff

@JacksonGary That was a great video essay - and I love the fact that you included your own experiences early on.  I also watched The Nun and was struck by how lacking in plot it was.
    If you're talking about tension being one of the most important aspects of a successful horror movie, rather than constant 'scary' scenes over and over again - I would argue that 'The Quiet Place' was the best example of tension in the last 5 years of horror movies. 
    Looking forward to your next episode already!

• JacksonGary

@KirstieT Aw, thanks so much! Absolutely loved A Quiet Place! I always kind of looked at it as more of a thriller, you have a great point. That was really one of my favorite films this year because of the family aspects of it.

Btw, we upload to our channel every Tuesday/Friday:) not all video essays, but I hope to do some more of those!

• JacksonGary

Everybody else, thanks so much! It means a lot:) new video essay next Tuesday, this time about Venom.