Hitfilm 2019?

Hictor
Hictor Posts: 377 Enthusiast

At least, on a speculation basis, does anyone have an idea when's the next installment coming out?

I'm currently budgeting for the upcoming months, so a rough idea would be a great help.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

Just watch this week's live stream. Answers your questions thoroughly... You'll have a lot more fun watching them say it than read a boring recap of the data points.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited October 2018

@Triem23 I disagree. What would be really useful is: after the livestream someone at FXHome went through and wrote up the major points, like someone who takes the minutes at a meeting, into a simple half-page summary. It's a colossal PITA to sit through an hour of "Umm, yeah, he he, ha ha, Errrr. Is this on? [some useful fact], irrelevant aside, comment about favourite movie, blah blah. etc. " for about 5 basic points that could have been written on a Post It Note. This is not 'Content'.

And, if Javert thinks anyone wants to watch him go through all the mistakes and undos and experimentation putting together a tutorial in real time, he's out of his mind.  Andrew Kramer he's not. Time is the one resource none of us have enough of. Don't waste it.

• Hictor
    edited October 2018

I sat through the whole video, but namely because my career is sort of built around making content out long drawn out material and I'm from among the few out there that are still willing to sit through text book documentation or as they used to call them in the old days "Bibles."

So I'll have to agree with @Palacono as far as appreciating the time of your consumer.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,452 Ambassador

Well....... I kind of have to agree with @Palacono here on the point of "get to the point".  I just skipped through the video trying to find the pertinent info about the future and wasn't finding any of that.  I think the live stream with Q&A is great, but I don't have the time either to sit and focus on the entire clip.  The first few minutes of "are we on?"  is a bit of a time suck.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but a summary of the important points would be helpful.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

Maybe there is a suggestion for the Hitfilm team, when posting after the stream but the links to key parts of the video in the description.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

I am in the group that think the live Q&A is pretty rambling. It is live question driven.

I put it at 1.25x playback and then I was still skipping small increments on the timeline so I am sure I missed some things. Skip...watch a few seconds...nope...repeat.

It's not that the video is an hour long. It is that there is really not much there. A prime reason to never do live. Given that I don't know if one can put an index in the post live Youtube video, but at least there can be some important topics that can be indexed in Youtube description.

Being coy about a future tutorial content seems silly. Just don't say anything in that circumstance. For tutorials I don't see a problem commenting that you have planned/scheduled one when a question comes up. Of course people want it next week but a 2-3 months out is no big deal to comment, IMO.

• Triem23

Can I note several people would have preferred a list of data points but, also, none of the respondents who thought the livestream rambled posted something like this:

"Well, I think the live stream rambled a bit  so here's the sort of things they discussed to save others time?

• Hitfilm rev. 10 will be coming out in November. 
    • Hitfilm 10 completely reworks Hitfilm's text engine. 
    • Hitfilm 10 will add the ability to color code layers. 
    • Hitfilm 10 will feature some minor interface changes  
    • Hitfilm is working on adding a warp stabilizer. 
    • New Simon Jones tutorial in Oct. 
    • Oli's first tutorial this month. 
    • Teases of Imerge, which still isn't being widely advertised outside this site. 
    • Hitfilm is considering making an audio editor.
    • Hitfilm has had discussions with Andrew Kramer about porting VCP stuff to Hitfilm. Josh, with a grin, said, "if only..." which usually means something is in progress (Josh is always willing to say "no" about things he knows aren't happening. Coy Josh is holding back...).
    • It's probable the Hitfilm YouTube channel will shift to multiple tutorials per week with more guest tutorials - again, Josh, Oli and Javert grinning and saying "if only," not saying, "well, tutorials take time.
    • Etc.. " 

Just saying. 

(Incidentally, this delays the Hit-U relaunch until Jan, and I just binned an in-progress series. The relaunch goes all the way back to the Hitfilm interface video, and, if the interface is about to change and add major new features...) 

Palacono, I do note that this forum and YouTube channel have had user requests for Javert to live-stream VFX creation sessions. While *I*wouldn't necessarily watch this  it's a request, and I actually think it's valuable. We have many newer users and younger users who give tutorial feedback like: "it took me an hour to do that thing you did in ten minutes..." Well, it didn't take ten minutes, my screen capture is sped up and dead space is cut. Because tutorials are usually heavily edited to get everything in order! Side note: the Visionary Universe AE tutorials channel - the host just runs a screen cap, mostly unedited. Sometimes his tutorials are frustrating at times when the host says "Ok, I stopped recording because here's a step I left out five minutes ago, and you needed to..." Man, either re-record yourself doing it correctly it edit the correction back at the correct step! 

• Hictor
    edited October 2018

@Triem23 Except the respondents who thought the livestream whom rambled have (with great likelihood) discontinued the watch anyway. This is the reality of a Social Media audience.

This isn't a jab at the livestream or any attempt to compromise competence of their Social Media team. Hitfilm has an outstanding community team . Adobe should take notes. This is simply constructive feedback.

Thank you for sharing the summary, however. You are a better listener then I am, considering that I've actually missed a couple of these.

• Triem23

@Hictor I also have patience for a livestream, because  as we saw, there's latency. Whatever is streaming takes 15-20 seconds to encode, plus whatever latency they get from chat response. It's like the awkward satellite delay tines 10. I don't really expect the streams to always be smooth. That said, none of my other studio (audio/photo/video) software has companies that livestream. Obviously I appreciate that FXHOME actually has the CEO and tutorial/marketing/PR staff have direct, interactive  real(ish) time communications with the users! I'll deal with some slop and side-chatter and dead time because it's still a unique opportunity. :D.

Hell, I appreciate the honesty  like noting Action Pro kind of lay fallow for a while. Solution? Apologize  explain reasons (other new product and explosive Hitfilm growth) and extension of existing licenses for six months. Man, I have stories of other companies that don't do that - but DO shut off existing licenses to force upgrades *cough**Adobe**cough*. 

• Stargazer54

@Triem23  Thanks for the summary!

On your point - it is definitely refreshing (compared to other vendors) to have the CEO on the couch taking calls. 

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,005 Enthusiast

@Triem23 it would be helpful if Hitfilm puts timecodes up so people can watch what they want if they don't get to watch it live. 

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff

To clarify from Triem's list of highlights, not all of the features that are in development which came up in the live discussion are scheduled for version 10. Some of them certainly will be in version 10, but the system we are working on for color labeling layers will be coming in a later update.

• Triem23

@AxelWilkenson thanks for the correction. :D

• Hictor

(not meaning to idly bump for the sake of bump, but this needs to be said)

@AxelWilkenson THE LEGEND!

(ok. I'll stop bumping now.)

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Posts: 516 Enthusiast

I don't know if anyone knows (or can tell [staff]), But are there any pending updates for Express before the  v10 release ?

Thanks.

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,198 Staff

@LiamMcM1 What would you be expecting in such update?

• alaska_vfx_filmer

CedricBonnier, Not much, just curious if there IS one before the next years version. I looked at the last update  time for previous versions, and found they were all over the calendar, so i asked.

Thanks.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,316 Ambassador
    edited October 2018

@LiamMcM1 There is no "next years version." As FXhome has announced previously, gone are the days of major updates only coming out once per year. Updates happen much more frequently, and license expiration isn't tied to a fixed calendar date set by the home office, but is based on the date the user purchased the license.  So if you bought Pro in the summer of 2018, you'll get all updates – large and small – until summer 2019.  Someone else who bought in winter will get everything released until the following winter.

EDIT: Just caught a flub in my comment. When I said "license expiration" it should be interpreted as "the date you no longer can get free updates." The license does NOT expire at that point, and you can keep using HitFilm for as long as you have a working computer. You just can't get more updates until you pay to upgrade, at which point you get another 12 months of new stuff.

• alaska_vfx_filmer

jsbarrett, Thanks! that clears things up a bit. i hadn't quite understood about the new update system, other than the naming system.

Ok then CedricBonnier, just forget about it 

Thanks

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff
    edited October 2018

Hey everyone - I've read all the comments and just wanted to say thank you for all the feedback. We're taking it on board as we move forward with new content (and we're doubling down on the different kinds - and the quality and usefulness - of that content). 

We're aware that the live stream is not for everyone (we've clearly got two camps here!) - and from an algorithm point of view, we're also seeing that YouTube don't give us bonus points for doing live Q&A's (so you can be assured we're not forcing content on to users because it benefits the channel - in fact, the opposite). The reason is that we have had many requests for both a live Q&A and live tutorials for almost as long as we've had the channel (and we do love to talk to you all in real-time). Q&A's and tutorials may not be something that we do long term, but it is something that we're trying and experiment with. As you all know, the FXhome community is fantastic, and so providing value and interest to our users in addition to (not instead of) the core tutorials is something we're always trying to improve upon. 

I wonder if you'd all tell me how you think that the live Q&A's could be adjusted, so that they're more useful to those of you who prefer summarised content than 'hanging out with the team', so to speak? Do you think they should be reduced in length? Would you like for us to put time codes into the description with subjects covered so that you don't have to go scrolling? I'm really happy to hear all of your feedback. 

As for those of you who are aligning certain content (in your opinion good or bad) with certain hosts - please know that all of our content is strategized by the entire Marketing team and so experimental ideas may come from any one of us. The hosts are simply the presenters for that content, and are doing their job. For this reason, please do refrain from blaming particular presenters for content that you dislike. I assure you, that responsibility falls within the marketing team as a group! 

Thanks all - looking forward to your feedback!

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,005 Enthusiast

@KirstieT"Would you like for us to put time codes into the description with subjects covered so that you don't have to go scrolling"

Yes to this...I would totally appreciate that...especially for those who can't make it to the live streams like me

• Stargazer54

@KirstieT First of all, I think what you guys are doing with the live stream is awesome!  Very refreshing to see the principals of the company sitting on the couch taking questions from a live audience.  No reason to deviate from that what-so-ever.    Engaging with your customers in real time is a company culture feature  you should maintain and it is one of the things that makes FX Home a company like no other IMHO.

My suggestion is only for the presentation of the event as a recorded piece (i.e. it is no longer a live event).   Perhaps edit out the technical glitches and pauses in the conversation to tighten up the show?  Plus, as you suggested, adding timecodes for the subjects covered would be helpful.

Of course, all this takes time and I'm sure you guys are busy.  Might be a good job for an intern?

• alaska_vfx_filmer

"My suggestion is only for the presentation of the event as a recorded piece (i.e. it is no longer a live event).   Perhaps edit out the technical glitches and pauses in the conversation to tighten up the show?  Plus, as you suggested, adding timecodes for the subjects covered would be helpful." 

?

• Farscape
    Farscape Posts: 90
    edited October 2018

@Triem23 I always marvel at your continued patience and willingness to help everyone, regardless of skill, even when they must invoke a certain level of frustration in you. We need you at the U.N.

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff

@Farscape Seconded there! @Andersen01498We will try to do our best to do this for the next live stream, it is likely something that we need to do manually as the live stream is going on, so please do be patient with us while we work out the most efficient process. 

And yes @LiamMcM1 @Stargazer54 I completely understand that - we will do our best to reduce the glitches at the start. We've experimented with some software recently to make the live streams higher quality (and so that we can do them simultaneously across Facebook and YouTube), but it has certainly resulted in some 'ARGH, what's it doing?' moments! We'll do our best to reduce those instances. 

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

@KirstieT anything you are going to write up as timecodes could themselves be all we'd need to read if we don't have the time to watch the whole thing. They'd need to be fairly complete, without being too verbose, so slightly longer than Triem's examples and not clickbaity.

e.g.
    4m30s: Josh explains that the Text system will have a complete overhaul in Hitfilm 10.

Rather than:
    4m30s Josh hints at Text changes in Hitfilm 10.

• Stargazer54

Definitely agree with @Palacono on  descriptive titles.

@KristieT Just to be clear, I was not expecting you to "tighten" up your broadcast on the fly.  That would be a Herculean effort indeed.  I was merely referring to editing down the recorded version after the event is over.

• Ok about the license thing with the updates, how do you update your license?

• And I must admit, I liked it more then it was just one major update a year and small for the rest.

• Ok sorry but then I thought about it the license idea is actually really good. So when an update comes out you can immerse with that and really learn how to use it. And then with the next update and so on.

This discussion has been closed.