Forum Wishlist request

GrayMotion
GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,470 Enthusiast
edited October 2018 in General

Would the FXHome team mind enabling Category Following in the user Dashboard please. 

https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/forum-settings/categories/#category-following

Comments

• DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out

I had no idea that setting existed! I've enabled it now, seems pretty useful to me.

To follow a category please click the "cog" next to the category name on the Forum index.

• GrayMotion
    edited October 2018

Thanks for the enable @DanielGWood. Most appreciated!

Sadly - I should have know it might take some tweaking to the template to make it fully functional. The drop-down menu that appears on the Main Page ( in Safari) does not drop down. It's stuck on View:All . There should be a View: Following as well. I checked the site using Chrome and Firefox--> the dropdown menu doesn't even show up....but it's in the code.

<code removed>

I'll poke around for you and see if there is an easy fix. Again, I do appreciate the effort.

• DanielGWood
    edited October 2018

I intentionally hid that menu because it's broken (the menu does appear, but it's off screen and obscured by other elements, probably conflicting with various parts of our custom theme), which is why you aren't seeing it on Chrome and Firefox I expect. Perhaps the one on Safari will disappear too with a cache clear. It should be possible to fix, but as that will take a little longer it's gone on the backlog.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,195 Ambassador

@GrayMotion It's stuck on "View: All" on Chrome as well.

• GrayMotion
    edited October 2018

Roger. Thanks again!

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,195 Ambassador

@DanielGWood On a related note, when a category is followed, the "Following" indicator next to the title on the category page appears black, which is virtually impossible to see on the dark grey background. The only way to even know that there's something in that space is to hover the mouse over it, which causes the indicator color to animate to red. Can those colors be easily tweaked in the CSS to make the default color something more readable like a lighter grey?

• DanielGWood
    edited October 2018

Ha, I also made that hidden as it seemed somewhat out of keeping with our styling and it doesn't work so well with longer titles. Hopefully we'll be able to make that work a little nicer in future.

If you refresh a category page now both these issues should be solved (well, swept under the carpet).

• GrayMotion

@jsbarret - Currently in Safari the icons are a pretty BLUE and RED..shows up nicely against the black background. But....

"The icons can take the color you like by setting the color in CSS. By default, they inherit the text color. The new elements reuse existing CSS classes but also add new, unique ones for the category following that can be used."

How to Theme it

I know exactly why it is so important to have a staging site to make sure Custom themes work properly so I understand completely what it's going to take. 

• DanielGWood

Yeah it'd be simpler in some ways to start afresh too - our Vanilla theme was built on top of a previous version of the HitFilm website's core styles about five years ago, for a Vanilla version that is similarly old. Any time you make a change to it at the moment you're looking at quite the exciting challenge. To add to the fun there are complications with when you can/can't edit the markup (you mostly can't) of pages, so to make the Forum match our visual style can be entertaining.

• CleverTagline

@GrayMotion In Chrome the red showed up only when hovering over the text with the mouse. It defaulted to black (or perhaps a grey that was only marginally darker than the category header BG). The blue was blue no matter what. Odd.

@DanielGWood By "swept under the carpet" did you mean "disabled again"?  Now the Follow/Following icons are gone again, along with the ability to follow categories via the gear, which is what I thought @GrayMotion asked for in the first place.

• GrayMotion
    edited October 2018

@jsbarrett - It was breaking the Theme. If you can't select the "Following" only categories from the dropdown menu there is really no use to have the function enabled. The main page still shows categories you don't want to see cluttering the page.

Reading Daniel's response they are running an older version of Vanilla. To get all the newer functions that are now with Vanilla the theme "almost" has to come up from scratch. Some functions can be hacked in places but it takes time. Best to do this with a staging server  (or offline) to make sure the current forum isn't broken. I look forward to this function in the future though.

• DanielGWood

Ah, I misunderstood the feature. I assumed it would work like following a thread, where you get notifications if there's a new post. You're quite right, I've gone and made it useless.

Will look at sorting this asap.

• GrayMotion
    edited October 2018

Looks 80% sorted after you re-activated the function.

A few notes:

• I had to shift+refresh Crome and Firefox in order to see the View dropdown menu. The menu has All and Following. Perfect. The menu is showing in Safari but inoperable.
    • The icons (blue and red) that show up beside the forum category Title are visible  in Safari although once you click Following the Red Following turns black. The icons are not visible in Firefox and Chrome. 

The above can probably be fixed by tweaking the CSS.

Thanks for the function Daniel.

• DanielGWood

Hi @GrayMotion,

I've just tested it again in Safari myself, and cannot reproduce either of the issues you mention. This is likely to be a browser caching issue, as there is no CSS involved which any browser from the last 10 years is going to have trouble with.

• CleverTagline

Just tried it in Chrome on my Mac, and it's working fairly smoothly. The only added hiccup I see is the read indicator next to the category names. When the view is set to Following, all categories show up as having unread messages, even if they've been manually marked as being read.

• DanielGWood

Yeah I've noticed that, quite annoying. As far as I can tell it's part of the existing bug in the software where they broke read indicators (there's another thread about that somewhere around here which I think you're already in). Really hoping they're going to fix that.

• johnpdelacruz26
    johnpdelacruz26 Website User Posts: 4

Hello. I would like to request for Hitfilm Express to have a feature where you can disable the whole effects altogether in one click of a checkbox.

(Ex: Unchecking Layer 1 main effects checkbox  will disable all the effects under it.)

This will be helpful when you want to make a before and after comparison without clicking multiple effects checkbox.

Thanks.