Intel core i9 9900k and new PC for hitfilm

8KMAX8KMAX Website User Posts: 184 Just Starting Out
edited November 2018 in General

Hi,

I am using hitfilm intensively for particles and simulation, 3d and advanced editing and color correction.

During all this time, I had a "good" workstation, but with the new hitfilm updates and with high workloads there was a bottleneck. I am actually planning to update the computer so that I can work more comfortably. These would be the specifications:

-Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix x299-xe gaming

-Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X X-Series (8 cores; 16 Threads; 3.60 GHz; 4.30 GHz Turbo; 11 MB L3 Cache)

-m.2 Nvme: Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB (for software, cache, windows e.t.c)

-SSD: Samsung pro-SSD 512GB (for files)

-RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 32GB

-GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070

-Power supply: Nox Urano VX 750W 80+

-Liquid cooling: Custom "gamer" water cooling loop

-Case: Cooler Master H500M

Would this PC be capable of running hitfilm with no bottlenecks?

What do you think about the configuration of this PC?

Are the components ok or should I change them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,883 Ambassador

It looks ok, but always tricky to say as thethere so many variables. Don't know the GPU, but looks good.

• 8KMAX8KMAX Website User Posts: 184 Just Starting Out

@Andy001z; Thanks for your reply! But, is the GPU bad?

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

IMHO - I'd spend the extra 100 bucks and find a GTX 1080 Ti

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2070.c3319

@GrayMotion: I thought 2070 was more powerful than the 1080Ti... But I was wrong.

But...What do you think about the rest of the PC? Is it ok?  Should I buy a 1tb SSD instead of the 500GB NVME m.2 SSD? Is 32GB of ddr4 RAM ok?

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,883 Ambassador

What are you working with, 4k? 8k? what format is your media, are you going to be working with really big data / compression? You may eat that 500GB up in no time.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,309 Ambassador
    edited October 2018

Some thoughts:

"No bottlenecks" is impossible. No matter the computer  once you start getting into complex particle sims you will eventually hit slowdown. Especially in 4K+ resolutions.

Additionally, because Hitfilm's render pipeline has two points of CPU/GPU handoff there is always a point where your CPU or GPU is inactive. As Josh Davies explained it to me, GPUs normally don't pass anything back to CPUs - in general, just rendering to screen. Hitfilm's OpenGL based engine can bring a lot of power to actual VFX rendering  but that pass back does lead to an unavoidable slowdown. This is a bigger factor when using video files or on Export than editing pure animation/procedural elements. 

More storage is always better. If you'll only have one drive, get the terabyte. Once OS, programs, proxies, source files and renders are on the same drive ... You'll want the space.

I'm not certain of the speed of an Nvidia 2070 vs 1080ti - the card isn't out yet, so most comparison online now are based on the on-paper specs, but, on-paper the 1080ti is faster, has better memory handling, more RAM and higher pixel-per-second performance. The 2070 is the third-highest tier card in its generation (behind the 2080 and inevitable 2080ti), where the 1080ti is the top of its generation. With Nvidia cards the last two digits are the important ones... By comparison, a 1030 is significantly slower than a 580... Low end GPU of its generation compared to a top-tier card six years older...? My opinion is the x70 and x80 cards of an Nvidia generation are the only ones worth considering.

32GB RAM is a good amount and should pretty much cover you. The only reason you might want more is if you run other things in the background - like switching between Hitfilm and something like Affinity Photo at the same time. Otherwise in Hitfilm  go into File>Options and crank up RAM preview allocation to 16 GB. 

@Andy001z; Hi, I´m usually working with 2k or 1080p projects. I don´t actually work with 4K. So, is the Nvme better for me?

@Triem23; Thanks for your reply! It has been very helpful.

"No bottlenecks" is impossible. No matter the computer once you start getting into complex particle sims you will eventually hit slowdown. Especially in 4K+ resolutions.

Is that bottleneck occurring in 1080p resolutions? Does that bottleneck apply to colour correction and to editing and compositing?

More storage is always better. If you'll only have one drive, get the terabyte. Once OS, programs, proxies, source files and renders are on the same drive ... You'll want the space.

I don´t usually use so much disc space because I´m usually working with small short videos or with 1080p 2k. So, is the Nvme better for me?

I'm not certain of the speed of an Nvidia 2070 vs 1080ti - the card isn't out yet, so most comparison online now are based on the on-paper specs, but, on-paper the 1080ti is faster, has better memory handling, more RAM and higher pixel-per-second performance.

Ok, I think I´ll buy the 1080ti! Would be hitfilm using RTX? Because if RTX will be compatible, it is worth buying an RTX card.

Thanks.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,309 Ambassador

@8kMax the second paragraph of my prior post explains why there is always a bottleneck. The pass between CPU and GPU mean one is always basically idle.

You also specifically stated you do a lot with particles, and particles get complex, and fast. Your initial question about bottlenecks effectively translates to "Will Hitfilm always do what I tell it to do in real time," and the answer is always no. Eventually you'll pile enough workload on Hitfilm where it won't be able to maintain real-time performance , guaranteed.

For sake of argument Hitfilm supports one GPU. Some other software supports two GPUs in SLI (or AMD equivalent). Tobias of Surface Studio mostly works in AE (which supports SLI ), although he's done Hitfilm tutorials on his own channel and for Hitfilm. He somewhat recently did a tutorial on teleporting shots with a moving camera. He had a background layer, a roto layer for his actor, a couple of matte layers and a particle sim, and Tobias has 24  CPU cores and two 1080ti GPUs in his machine and he was unable to maintain real-time playback. You're looking at a Octo-Core and single GPU. Eventually you will hit slowdown. It's inevitable.

As far as "RTX compatible" goes, if you're referring to the real-time raytracing, then, no. Hitfilm doesn't have a ray-tracing engine to begin with. Additionally  Hitfilm is OpenGl based and relies on base OpenGl performance on the GPU. Hitfilm does not support any of the propriety hardware on any GPU. They are a small team and have limited resources. Mods are not FXHOME staff, we're volunteer users, so I don't have hard data, but the chances are over 50% of Hitfilm's 3.5 million users are running on an inregrated GPU. Of that user base, fewer than 1% are likely to upgrade to an RTX in the next two years. Specific hardware support for RTX would divert development resources into something that is of zero benefit for 99% of Hitfilm's users. My guess is development will focus on global enhancements that benefit every user. I could be wrong  but I'd be surprised.

The new machine you're considering is,  overall, really solid. Without knowing your current specs it's hard to guess how much of a performance increase one would see.

My system is an i7 6700HQ with Nvidia 980m. The i7 7280x benches about 120% faster than the 6700 and the 1080ti benches about 200% faster than the 980m. I would see significant improvement with that rig, but could easily cause it to choke with a large particle sim. 

edited October 2018

@Triem23; Thanks for your reply! I now understand why I would be experiencing some lag... 

But, will I notice a difference in performance with respect to my current pc?

My PC:

-Hp z600 motherboard (up to 48gb ram ddr3, 2 Xeon processors, PCI-e 2.0, SATA 2, USB 2.0)

-2x Intel Xeon x5670 (6 cores each processor, 2,9ghz and 3,3 turbo)

-24Gb ddr3 1333mhz ram

-250gb SSD connected onto a SATA 2 port

-Nvidia gtx 1070 connected to a PCI-e 2.0

-Windows 10

Benchmarks aren't the be all and end all, but a good starting point fir comparison. 

The i7 7820x benches about 70% faster than the  Xeon x5670.

The 1080ti benches about 50% faster than the 1070.

The DDR3 RAM is probably slower than the DDR4 RAM in your current machine.

Tough call.

Hey! New Intel 9th gen has come out, and I thought...  What about buying some 9th gen chips? I know they are very expensive and that AMD is a very competitive enterprise.  But I do prefer Intel. Hitfilm is my favourite video, editing and vfx software and I think my opinion is not going to change, but I am starting to use after effects for really simple composite shots. I think After effects prefer Intel to run and is CPU based, hitfilm is GPU based. So I think buying 9th gen intel product will benefit my experience in after effects and also in Hitfilm. The i7-7820x processor that I wanted to buy has risen its price along with the 9th gen chips, so the difference between prices are "minimal". Then, which processor is better for hitfilm? The i9 9900k or the i7-7820x... 

This discussion has been closed.