Should I upgrade from HitFilm 2 Ultimate?

WedgeOzWedgeOz Website User Posts: 212 Enthusiast
edited October 2018 in HitFilm

I currently still use Hitfilm Ultimate 2.0. Still very adequate for my needs. The main reason I haven’t upgraded to a newer version is because my PC hardware isn’t up to speed (it’s a few years old).....and quite frankly it’s not a “gaming computer”. I don’t have the specs in front of me right now, but I’ve always been of the belief I didn’t have the “minimum system requirements” to upgrade to Hitfilm Pro.

However, with nothing better to do last night, I thought I’d be cheeky and at least download the demo version, just to see what happens. To my surprise, it installed easily, and I loaded a saved project that I had made with Ultimate.....and to my even greater surprise, I was able to tweak the project using all the newer goodies that comes with Pro!

Of course I was not able to export it (being in demo mode)......but my question is.......can I assume as I have come this far, that my PC can indeed run Pro? I mean.....there’s no hidden problems I might encounter whilst in the “export mode”? I only ask to make sure it is worth the purchase.....as Gold only knows when I’ll be buying a new PC in the future :)

I’m kinda excited......the bells and whistles on Pro make me salivate.....and it’s just this question that thus far prevents me from hitting the purchase button :)

What do you think. :)

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,184 Moderator
    edited September 2018

@WedgeOz You might also consider downloading the latest version of Express which will let you export still but any Pro addons will be watermarked but still export, and it has a lot of Express effects that aren't in Ult 2.  It would let you see if there are any issues with your system and export anyway.

• WedgeOzWedgeOz Website User Posts: 212 Enthusiast

Hey thanks for that! :) Actually I never thought of that.....and I already have Express as well, but have only tinkered with it sparingly in the last year or so. I was still trying to master everything in Ultimate before I moved onto learn something new......but dang it......I might so some more tests in Express this evening, and if all goes well, purchase Pro! Thanks again for that! Loving this stuff :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Paul, list your specs for us to double check you.

My instincts are you should upgrade. There are massive overhauls to 3D model materials and rendering that will make your life easier. You'll be able to use 3D models as particles. Next time you do a massive space fleet that will make your life easier. The new materials will make your ships look better, and there are improved compositing tools if (for example) you need to mix models and particles. 

As @tddavis says, go with current Express for testing. You'll be able to export  but "add-on" features (particles and models for you) will be watermarked, but you can test for performance and stability.

Thanks Triem! You've been my biggest supporter and major incentive to upgrade always lol. From what I can see, my PC has these specs- 

HP Pavilion 23-P001A AIO 23" Touchscreen – Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790T CPU @ 2.70GHz - 16GB Ram - 3TB HDD - NVIDIA GeForce 810A 2GB - Wireless Keyboard & Mouse - Windows 10

As you can tell, VFX wasn't my sole intention when I purchased this PC, as it's on the low end of the scale. However, as mentioned before....I can run Ultimate no problems. And I've had a bit of a play around with Express and exported some projects comfortably. I believe my PC no doubt renders things a little more slowly than a top end model.......but I'm patient and the results are worth the wait :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Paul, not the highest end system, but you've got enough horsepower for 4K projects. Probably not TOO much slower than HF2U in use, though. And that's with a lot more horsepower under the Hitfilm hood

Thanks mate! Hitfilm Pro here I come :)

Finally took the leap! Have Hitfilm Pro now!

Of course my renders take perhaps twice as long as before because of my system...….but loving all the extras! :)

And if you've followed the NAB announcements, wow, look at all the new stuff coming! 

Yup! And naturally I took advantage of the Spring sale too. Kinda overwhelmed right now :)

Focus up. You have so many new tools at your disposal it's like a new program. 

First, focus on the Manual Bezier/Value Graph keyframes. That's going to change the way you animate everything. 

Next, work on Cook-Torrence materials in 3D model setup. I think I posted the breakdown of the options in one of your threads? You do a lot with models, so those are important options for you  

Next, explore the particle sim. The two big changes are the Grid options (letting you set up arrays) and using models as particles (which would have made part iii of Invasion easier). 

Learn Projection. Being able to project a 2D image into 3D space will up your virtual set game. 

From your films those are the most critical new tools for you. After that you can explore as you wish. 

Ahhhhhh excellent, thanks for that. Yup....slowly but surely. Can't wait to get into it :)

I gotta admit............my mind is blown! :) Had a real good look at everything this weekend, and the possibilities are overwhelming with Hitfilm Pro! How will I ever use everything???? lol. But it's the old adage, "It's better to have something and not need it, than to need it and not have it!" :)

This discussion has been closed.