Dealing with 1 channel audio

jkmail
jkmail Posts: 32 Just Starting Out

Hi

I've imported a video with a mono (1 channel) audio output. As expected when the file is digitized and bought into hitfilm it only shows audio on channel one.  If I want this to play on a two channel (stereo) television/monitor what is the best way to copy that over to a new channel 2. Please keep in mind is it better to copy tht over before editing or after editing when all the effects have been added. 

Thanks 

John 

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,755 Ambassador

@jkmail You can use a free audio editor, Audacity, and pan Chan 1 to Chan 2.   It won't be stereo, but you'll have audio on both  channels.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

You could in theory copy paste from one channel to another in HF, but a bonafide audio editor is the way to go, IMHO.

• jkmail

Thank you

I was hoping to do it all in 1 box (program) but I guess it's just better to mix somewhere else

John

• JBaymore
    JBaymore Posts: 372 Enthusiast

Audacity is kinda' the 'Blender' of audio.  Awesome free software.  Lots of plugins available.  I do a lot of the audio work that I import into Hitfilm Pro with that.

best,

................john

• jkmail

Thanks, already have it ?

• jkmail

Still not sure though what is the best way to duplicate audio 1 (left) to auto 2 (right)

Let me know if I'm on the right track. 

After finishing the edit with fades and effects I highlight the tratck I export it. At this point it is multiple mp4 files which have to be converted into a format that Auducity can use. At that point the separate files have to be linked to make 1 track then I still was not able to copy track 1 to track 2?

Ideas? 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,755 Ambassador

Depending on the codecs you have installed, you should  be able to read your original footage directly into Audacity and extract the track.  Then use the pan controls to have the audio on both channels.   Once that is done then write out the 2 track audio as a .wav file and import that back into HF as your new track.

As to how to do all  that, the internet is your friend.  There are plenty of tutorials on using Audiacity.  Just have to do some research.

• jkmail