60 fps or 30 fps ? 720p to 1080p ?

lgcomlgcom Website User Posts: 58 Just Starting Out

hello

regularly I shoot my videos in 720 p from with my Macbook Pro 2015. 

When I' exported to Hitfilm Express the original clips are in 1280x720 in 29,97 fps.

I' think the frame rate is a little slow. I' tried in 6O fps but it's not realistic (maybe too fast). I' tried in 50 fps, it is a little same. 

What do you recommend that I do please ? 29,97  50  60 fps ? 

Is it good to export to 1080 p  from 720 p clips ? 

And sometimes I' had slowdowns in Hitfilm Express.  

How can I eliminate these slowdowns in Hitfilm Express ?

Thank you :) 

Laurent 

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

When you speak of shooting videos with your MacBook Pro, are you using the built-in camera to capture video of yourself, or are you talking about using software to capture a recording of what's on the screen?

29.97 fps is the standard rate for NTSC video, which should be fine for on-camera stuff. For doing screen captures of a game, though, some prefer 60 fps to maintain more of the smooth feeling of the gameplay.  It's mostly a personal preference. You can shoot and edit live action at 60fps if you prefer, and capture screen material at a lower frame rate. There's nothing that says you have to use a certain frame rate for certain situations.

Re: slowdowns in HitFilm Express, are you talking about sluggish response as you play or scrub through footage you've added to either the Editor timeline or a composite shot?  Long story short, video footage straight from a camera/phone is optimized for playback, but not for editing. Transcoding the footage is highly recommended for a smoother editing experience. I strongly suggest watching this video, which gives more detail on why and how:

• lgcomlgcom Website User Posts: 58 Just Starting Out

Hello jsbarrett

I'm using Quicktime and the camera inside my Macbook to capture video of myself and Quicktime  to capture a recording of what's on the screen. I' know the definition isn't the same. The screen capture is larger than the  capture video of myself.

The slowdowns in HitFilm Express arrived scrub through footage you've added to either the Editor timeline or a composite shot. 

Exemple : when I edited this video in Hitfilm Express  several overlays videos I had a shift sound / image in my final video.

Often in Hitfilm Express, the edited videos in editor are slow...why ? 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

The sluggish behavior when scrubbing through the timeline is possibly because of what I said above: the video format and codec is designed for playback, not for frame-accurate access during editing. That's where transcoding comes into play, which is why I still recommend watching the video I liked above.  If you transcode your video material before editing, you should see a definite improvement.

Another factor that will affect responsiveness is your system.  What are your system specs?  OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, and hard drive?

edited September 2018

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/39/2/1537876378-capture-d-ecran-2018-09-25-a-13-52-13.png

hello

regularly I shoot my videos in 720 p from with my Macbook Pro 2015. 

When I' exported to Hitfilm Express the original clips are in 1280x720 in 29,97 fps.

I' think the frame rate is a little slow. I' tried in 6O fps but it's not realistic (maybe too fast). I' tried in 50 fps, it is a little same. 

What do you recommend that I do please ? 29,97  50  60 fps ? 

Is it good to export to 1080 p  from 720 p clips ? 

And sometimes I' had slowdowns in Hitfilm Express.  

How can I eliminate these slowdowns in Hitfilm Express ?

Thank you :) 

Laurent 

This discussion has been closed.