[SOLVED] Exporting GoPro Cineform 10-bit - Screen goes black

JBrog891JBrog891 Website User Posts: 16
edited October 2018 in HitFilm

Hello,

I am exporting in Cineform 10-bit because I read that it performs better when editing in post which seems to be true. However, I am running into issues with the Cineform 10-bit exported clip being black at the end when I add the clip into the timeline to edit . I initially found a work around where if I take a 90 second video segment (in original MP4 format) and clip it into 30 second intervals and export, the 3 exported Cineform 10-bit video clips work great. The work around is fine for short videos but a pain when exporting 5 minute clips. It seems to go black if I try to export more than +/- 30 seconds. I am clicking on export "all contents". Surely there is an easier way to export to Cineform 10-bit. Why can't I just drop in a video clip, regardless of length (say a 5 minute video), and have the whole video show in the final export from start to finish?

Original video format:

Filmed with DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0
.MP4
3840 x 2160 resolution
59.94fps

Comments

• JBrog891JBrog891 Website User Posts: 16
    edited September 2018

Computer Specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GPU
    16GB Ram
    250GB SSD

• BobDiMarzioBobDiMarzio Website User Posts: 632 Just Starting Out

I'm assuming you are using hitfilm to transcode. If not disregard. 

Does the same thing happen if you export to MP4 ?

Have you placed the clip into a composite that is the same length as your clip and then exported the composite to Cineform?

Thanks for reply. 

Yes I am using it to transcode MP4 to cineform since my computer handles that better for editing. 

No, I can export to MP4 with no problems  

Yes I have tried placing the clip as a composite shot and exporting to cineform and didn't have any luck either. 

Ok, I also use a phantom 4 however I only shoot in 2.7k   I took a 47 second clip that I shot today,   brought it into HF pro,  created a composite shot of the clip, exported the clip using Gopro  Cineform 10 bit (no audio). Drone footage does not have audio so why write an audio track.  brought the   cineform clip back into HF and it was identical to the original MP4 clip.  I do not know if there is a difference between Pro and express concerning export.

Weird. I do not know if there is a difference either. Do you have any videos that are longer than 60 seconds? Reason I ask is the cut off varies from 30-50 seconds. If you had a clip that was near 2 minutes that would be interesting to see what happens. Thanks in advance!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,225 Ambassador

Out of curiosity  what are your computer's power settings? If you're in "endurance mode" things are set to power down after x amount of time with no keyboard or mouse activity. .. Including drives. It's a long shot, but, on other software I've had renders fail from endurance mode underclocking the CPU, turning off the GPU and putting drives on standby. I have a custom power setting for Studio work that bypasses all Windows power saving settings  

Triem23, I never thought of that. I will give that a look when I get home. I am running Windows 10. Will changing the power mode from balanced to "creating a power plan" and selecting "High Performance" do the trick from keeping the PC going into a hibernating mode? These options are found in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options". I am not familiar with adjusting the power settings outside of the basics. 

@JBrog891

OK so, I have a clip from the same shoot that is 1 min 49 Seconds.    I did the same thing.  2704x1520 23.976 MP4.  Brought clip into HF.    Made Composite shot  from clip.  Exported  using Cineform  YUV 10-bit (MOV) No Audio. 

Brought Cineform clip back into HF.  Both identical.

By using a composite shot I am able to insure that the clip  that I am rendering is exactly the length of the original clip.

Hope this helps.

edited October 2018

@BobDiMarzio

I tried that exact work flow and I didnt have any luck. Any chance I could upload the mp4 file and have you try it on your machine? I really don't know why this won't work for me. I tested it on a 1 minute and 16 second clip. It gets right to 30 seconds and the screen goes black on the preview in the timeline.

@BobDiMarzio

I did notice that my Cineform YUV 10-bit is in AVI, not MOV and I dont see an option to change that.

@JBrog891

Just to be sure I had apples to apples I downloaded and installed Express.  and in Express My Cinefore is only MOV.  That would be a question for the staff  why you do not have MOV export.        Since Setting up a Phantom just to film a 2 minute clip would be a real PIA,  I grabbed my Gopro Hero 5 and recorded 1.5 minutes @ 4k. (3840x2160)  Exported Using  GoPro CineForm YUV 10 Bit (this time with audio)  Wow.  883 meg becomes 5.7 Gigs.     Anyway after   10 minute export I brought the exported file  in and again............ No problem.   I would ask the staff about the AVI only issue.

@BobDiMarzio

Thank you so much for putting in the effort to look into this. Yes the file sizes get huge with cineform but I only use them temporarily for editing. I am new to the forums. Where do I ask the staff for help on this?

Thanks again!

@BobDiMarzio

Are you using Windows or Mac?

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,189 Staff

@JBrog891 which version of HitFilm are you using? If you click on the logo at the top left it will show the full version number.

The best way to contact us directly is via our support page. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track of everything that is happening on the forums, whereas we do reply to every support ticket.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,225 Ambassador
    edited October 2018

Note on PC all Cineform exports are AVI, on MAC, MOV. 

Mostly because Apple hasn't update QT for Win since 2011... It's still 32-bit! 

edited October 2018

@Triem23

I am using a PC and my Cineform is MOV . Possibly because I have been using Gopro studio since my first GoPro 3+.

edited October 2018

@CedricBonnier

I am using 5.0.7012.39363. Thank you, I will post on the page.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

Cineform can be exported to AVI or MOV from Hitfilm on Windows. It's got nothing to do with Gopro studio. Cineform in MOV is native to Hitfilm. Nothing else needed.

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,189 Staff

@JBrog891 Bear in mind that there is a much newer version of Express (9.1) available on the website: https://fxhome.com/express. This is a version that will install side by side with version 5 (you can uninstall this old version if you don't need to use it anymore). If you have bought addons, they will all be carried away to the newer version so you won't lose any functionality :)

@Triem23 @NormanPCN You guys are both right. In version 5, HitFilm could only render Cineform in an AVI container. Since version 6.0, we added a custom MOV exporter to output Cineform to a MOV on Windows. You don't need QuickTime for this.

@CedricBonnier, after all the massive revisions this year, I've lost track of some of the utility stuff. ;-). After yesterday's live stream... Sigh. Guess my channel relaunch will delay till Jan. ;) 

@CedricBonnier I thought it was likely V6. The versions come at us fast these days! I was lazy and did not look it up. Express is free. No reason to not be current.

edited October 2018

@CedricBonnier @NormanPCN @Triem23

Thank you guys so much for the feedback. After putting in a support ticket I was notified that I am running a way out of date version. I am excited to download the newest version and see all the new changes and updates. Maybe I wont even have to export to Cineform if my PC handles the newer version more efficiently. Thanks again and I will report back if the problem I am running into is fixed!

Is there an advantage to exporting the Cineform in MOV vs AVI? All I am using Cineform is for faster editing. I then export back to MP4 for my final video.

Cineform MOV or AVI should perform the same. The MOV option is useful if you are interfacing with some other applications with Cineform files. e.g. Premiere or Resolve.

@NormanPCN

I have downloaded HF Express V9.1.

I first exported to cinform with default settings. (MOV). After the clip was finished exporting, I closed HF and started a new project. When I went to import the MOV file, it came up with an error saying "Load error. The media file could not be loaded". So I made a custom cineform codec export with the file type set to .AVI. The same problem occurred as mentioned above. I even sat and watched the preview pane of the clip in the export panel and it looked good all the way through but the final video still goes black after about 30 seconds. Any ideas to what could be going wrong?

No ideas. 

Express 9.1. I import media. Export contents to Cineform MOV or AVI. Start a new project. Import the Cineform rendered media. Imports fine. Plays fine.

@NormanPCN

Weird. I wish I could just get mine to work.  Just curious how long was the clip you exported? I will have to get back with support. 

A 15 second one in UHD and a 5 minute one (HD).

Okay I think I figured out the issue and this is my fault for not specifying. I use 2 hard drives on my PC. The SSD has all my programs and the external 3.0 USB drive has all the videos and exports. I was exporting directly to the external drive and getting the black screen. Today I tried to export right to the SSD and it worked. Sorry for not specifying that. It looks like my external drive is running FAT32 file system, not NTFS, and the FAT32 has a 4GB write limit which is why the screen was blacking out. Thank you so much for the diligence on helping me and trying so many different things. 

This discussion has been closed.