[Resolved] How do I crop an image?

andybeeker
andybeeker Website User Posts: 5 Enthusiast
edited January 2019 in Imerge

I cannot find an option to crop an image? I realize this isn't Adobe Photoshop but there should be a way to crop any image or layer you are working on. When I use Photokey 8 Pro in the keying section there is an option to crop the foreground image which is very useful in removing areas of the photo that are not green screen. I just spent $74.50 and I can't crop an image... What the crap?  

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,984 Ambassador

Let's define what cropping does. Cropping effectively defines a rectangular mask then discards pixels outside that mask. This is a "destructive" edit because the pixels are thrown away and can no longer be recovered without re-importing the original asset.

Imerge is built on a "non-destructive" paradigm. Original pixel data is no longer discarded. Imerge does have rectangular masking tools to limit visible areas of a layer, and can change the canvas size to change the active pixel area. Layers can also be moved and resized within a canvas, so the functions to perform something similar to a crop are there, but not in a single step.

I should give the devs a Wishlist item for a "Canvas Mask" which resizes the canvas to the drawn bounding box and recenters layers. This would effectively recreate a pure crop function without being a true crop (because one can't crop in non-destructive workflow). 

• rikkiloades
    rikkiloades Staff Website User Posts: 161 Moderator
    edited September 2018

@andybeeker

An option to crop your canvas in a non-destructive way is on our roadmap and will be added in the future.

As for removing bits of a photo that is not greenscreen, that is exactly what the layer masks are for - check them out. The area mask is probably closest to what you want if you just want to crop a rectangular area out.

• rikkiloades
    rikkiloades Staff Website User Posts: 161 Moderator

@andybeeker Today we released Imerge 2.0 and it has a crop tool now. Check it out and let us know what you think.

• davidroad
    davidroad Website User Posts: 8

Imerge 2.0 version in my opinion is much better, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!