Color coding media in HitFilm

HitFilmer128619HitFilmer128619 Website User Posts: 322
edited October 2018 in HitFilm

I feel like I’ve asked this before but I couldn’t find a thread for it. 

Is there any way to color code clips? Like for organizing purposes? 

Comments

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador
    edited October 2018

Not currently. Would be a nice addition to the ever-popular wish list, methinks. :)

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,877 Ambassador

Oh there was a tip from one of the community, a vid on it too. Basically they used a new vid layer to set up planes that where coloured as required.

• HitFilmer128619HitFilmer128619 Website User Posts: 322

Ok, so no option to color code. 

Sure would be nice. 

On a somewhat related note is there any info on how to organize clips in general? Like setting up some sort of bins...or something? 

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,042 Ambassador

@Andy001z The tip you're thinking of is for color coding sections of the Editor timeline. While this may sorta-kinda address what @HitFilmer128619 is asking, the original question was about color-coding clips.  I can certainly see a use for this. If you're editing a travel video, you could use clip coloring to distinguish material from different locations so they're easy to find in the Media panel.

@HitFilmer128619 HitFilm's Media panel lets you add folders for media organization. You can add a folder via the right-click menu in the panel itself (New --> Folder), or click the New Folder button in the lower left corner of the panel. I have a default folder structure that I use for all new projects, and find that it makes locating items a lot easier. You can even add folders within folders.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,302 Ambassador

Merely an observation. I also use  Vegas Pro, which has allowed for color coding since v1. Number of times I've ever color coded clips since 1999...

None, nada, never, zip, zilch  bupkiss and zero.

Guess the way I mentally organize sees no benefit? 

Like @jsbarrett said, you can create folders and subfolders and choose a couple of different sorting options. One nice thing is, starting with Hitfilm 6 the File>Options menus let one set default folder format and sorting. Earlier versions required manually setting those options each new project  

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

@Andy001z Is this the video you were thinking of?

• HitFilmer128619HitFilmer128619 Website User Posts: 322

That video seems pretty much useless in regards to actually organizing your clips for editing. It’s more of a way to find certain clips within the timeline after it has been cut, I think. 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,877 Ambassador

Yes that's the one.

• RygleRygle Website User Posts: 15

@Triem23

Sure, you might not find them useful, but everyone's different - visual, kinaesthetic, etc. It (probably) wouldn't be hard to implement, and the risk of breaking other things is low, so if some people find it useful it might be worth it.

I personally found the coloured planes hack helpful for some doco stuff I was doing last year to divide topics while editing, however I imagine this could be useful for scenes, locations, people or various other reasons.

This discussion has been closed.