Improve render performance?

william1141william1141 Website User Posts: 3
edited September 2018 in General

I don't expect god-like render speeds but sometimes it's a tad slow (for example, a 1 hour video took me 3~4 hours to render). and my ram also gets barely used by the program.

Does someone know to ever so slightly improve render speeds? it would be appreciated!

Specs (if it helps):

Intel Core I7 6700Hq
Nvidia Geforce GTX1060 6gb
RAM: 24GB DDR4 2133mhz 
128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD

Video will render from HDD to SSD

Comments

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

Faster CPU, not more cores, and faster GPU seems to help.

Rendering to/from SDD, HDD or RAM drives do not seem to make any noticeable difference.

On a 12 core 48GB PC from a RAM drive to an SSD it renders at 1% of CPU speed for me and a 34 second clip takes 25 minutes to render.

On a 6 core 12GB PC that runs faster per CPU and with a GPU rated at 200% of the speed of the first one, from SSD to HDD it renders at 2% of CPU speed and takes 19 minutes to render.

Removing the single Neon Glow effect and it takes just over 3 minutes on each PC. That's one power-hungry effect. RAM speed is also probably a factor.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,036 Ambassador

@william1141 "for example, a 1 hour video took me 3~4 hours to render"

You didn't say what exactly was happening in that 1-hour project, but even if it's just basic cuts-only editing with maybe a handful of titles/transitions/effects, a render time that's 3-4 times the project length sounds pretty typical based on a discussion that came up about a month ago.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

On one of my PCs I render 4k to 1080p in slightly faster than realtime in Vegas, so a 30 second clip takes 27 seconds to render with Curves and Color Wheels Effects applied using the Main Concept with GPU assist Codec.

It uses 85% CPU and nearly all the threads. In CPU only mode it uses 97% CPU and all the threads, but takes slightly longer, so the GPU does actually help and the quality seems the same.

I thought someone said that Hitfilm also uses the (or a?) Main Concept Codec, but the same file with the same bitrates selected with no effects applied takes 1min and 16 seconds. With the Hitfilm Curves and Color Wheels Effects added it takes 1 min and 42 seconds.   It uses 21% CPU and only half the CPU threads available.

So, if there is another version of the Main Concept Codec available: try and use it?