Why is this forum so nice?

rutxerrutxer Website User Posts: 176

Hello there!

People are always (for what I've seen) so nice around here I sometimes forget this forum is in the internet!

My content (Instagram and YouTube) doesn't reach far so I don't suffer much, but recently a video of mine was posted in Aputure's Facebook page (with my permission) so it got quite some views and comments. The comments included "this is stupid" and making fun of my accent (non-native English... so I do what I can).

Here people are nice. If someone doesn't like a video there is constructive criticism, suggestions and opinions delivered politely, no pointless bashing and insults.

Yes, I know the internet is a cruel place (filled with sad souls letting out their resentment behind anonymity) but I'm just glad this forum is a different place!

I guess I'm just trying to say thank you all!!

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,178 Moderator

@rutxer That was one of the first things I noticed about this forum when I started using Hitfilm in 2014, and apart from the wealth of knowledge here keeps me coming back.  As an American, I hate to say it, but I think a lot of is the fact that FXHOME is UK based company and it follows that a percentage of users are from the UK and Europe and only a small portion from America which I think might account for the civility of the forum.  I personally have watched my country dissolve into a gross parody of what it used to be in the last 40 years or so.  We have crossed the tipping point now and it is gone forever sad to say.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,260 Ambassador

I couldn't tell ya why this forum is so nice, but it's the nicest forum I've been a part of, and I appreciate it greatly.

Sorry people had to be cruel on the Aputure Facebook page. Especially comments on language. Personally, I'll never pick on someone for poor English when it's their 2'nd, 3'rd, 4th, etc language. I speak English and only English (other languages are just not a skill I have. Four years of Spanish and spoken Spanish is pure gibberish to me, although I can read and write a lot of it....), so anyone who picks up multiple languages should be given respect.

@tddavis My wife and I have dual Irish-American citizenship, and we're trying to get Irish passports before we leave for Australia next month. Why? We'd rather whip out the Irish passports and push the Irish heritage (despite our American accents), over American passports. Or, we just have to commit to telling everyone we meet that we didn't vote for that guy.

• JBaymoreJBaymore Website User Posts: 333 Enthusiast

Yes, this forum is a very nice place to hang out and gather answers and advice.   And (unfortunately) an "exception" to many places on the Net these days.  Also unfortunately, the concerns mentioned about the breakdown of norms and convention of polite society in America are all too true. 

Thanks go to the Mods also for helping to maintain the cordiality here.

best,

...........john

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

@rutxer You know its just good to hear a good news once in a while.  Thanks for posting that.

Yep, this forum is an awesome place.  I have learned so much from others on the list and continue to pick up nuggets of knowledge along the way.  That's they way it should be.  Users helping users.  That's how we grow and learn.  Hats off to FXHome for offering a place for us to share ideas without judging anyone's skill level or nationality.

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 297 Staff

Glad to hear this! I've shared it with the office.

• rutxerrutxer Website User Posts: 176

@ttdavis while you might be right, it's interesting that only civil people (from wherever they come from) make it into this forum.

@Triem23 thanks for your comments! English is my 3rd, Finnish being the 4th (geez, that's hard!) And I truly appreciate your words, and also the feedback in the other forums

@Stargazer54 I thought it'd be a poetic way to complain about negativity in the interwebs by posting positive things around here!

@ you should share it! You guys are doing excellent job with your products, video content and as @JBaymore said moderating these forums. Thank you!

edited September 2018

@ruxter That's because VFX people are the most sane and intelligent people from everywhere :)

• ThomekkThomekk Website User Posts: 79 Just Starting Out

Yeah,
    I have to confirm the thread's topic and also about the saneness of the people posting here.
    I came here last year - knowing next to nothing about VFX - and learned a lots from experts here by reading, asking and trying out.

And again, yes, my impression of this forum is similar - very well-adjusted it seems it here. I appreciate that absolutely. Have seen other forums and lots of drama-threads - so cudos to all - the users, the mods and FX Home for offering this place!

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,036 Ambassador

:+1: to all the comments about the goodness of this place. Definitely a breath of fresh air!

• DavlonDavlon Website User Posts: 282 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2018

It doesn't cost extra to be kind.  Years ago, a teacher of mine suggested I look for opportunities to "add goodness" -- wherever I find myself.      To look for ways to make life easier for other people.   It began by washing the coffee cups in the company sink -- people arrived in the morning and found clean cups -- this reduced the time it took to begin work, and improved the office atmosphere.  And it cost me nothing.

After a while, it became a way-of-living.  And then it essentially changed my outlook on the world.  When you're working on a show/movie/series, and people know you're the helper, everyone holds you in high regard.  And regardless of what you were hired for, you move up a notch in terms of the group.   You're not the sucker who stays after to make things nicer -- you're the one who changes the office from a place-to-work into a place where friends work.   

It's much nicer to work with friends -- it removes the feelings of competition -- and you have a definite undercurrent of competition both on a set and in the production office.   But when the office and the set has people who are in to being helpers, it changes the group dynamic.

I'll tell you this -- on the set, the director needs the gopher as much as he needs the AD.   When the gopher is willingly helpful and really tries to find opportunities to make things easier for the crew, he doesn't stay a gopher very long.

And once you get married, you have a chance to apply your generosity to your own space, by looking for the excellent things in your spouse and by constantly looking for ways to make home life easier  -- and that's what keeps  people married forever.   And that's what changes people into parents -- parent who look for the excellent qualities in their kids, and provide a supportive space.  This forum is a lot like that.  When people care about something other than their own project, they find that giving and helping others is a fine way to spend time.  Okay -- my two cents.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Davlon - Don't. Clean. My. Coffee. Cup. There's history in the stains..........

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,827 Ambassador

@rutxer ,

The best and most self serving thing you can do is to never respond to negativity from others.

Negative comments are meant to draw attention away from you and towards the person exhibiting the child like behavior. To respond to such behavior is like two dogs barking at each other and whatever the reasoning for their reactionary display which always causes them to vie for attention does not matter, in this case for the attention of anyone that views your video.

It is best indeed to ignore these very needy people... these, attention hogs. They are easy to spot though, they're always the one screaming the loudest and doing the stupidest things for attention.

On the Fxhome forums, there are many, many young people but I've yet to meet anyone that acts like a child. These forums are fantastic, full of folks with tons of knowledge that they are willing to share. This forum and less than a handful of Blender forums are the only places that I go online. The Fxhome forum is my absolute favorite.

You can't beat it in terms of awesomeness much less the awesomeness of what you can do with the software. :)   

• rutxerrutxer Website User Posts: 176

@davlon excellent advice and story!

@spydurhank wise words! What I did with those comments was to ignore them and instead come here to share positivity :)

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast
    edited September 2018

This probably helps 

-"There are only a handful of rules, but they're important:

1. All are welcome, from beginners to experts.
    2. Discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated.
    3. This is a global community, so expect to find a mix of views, cultures and ages.
    4. Abusive behaviour of any kind towards other users or staff will not be tolerated.

We reserve the right to remove your posting privileges if you do not follow these rules." - Forum posting rules.

• Behind_The_LensBehind_The_Lens Website User Posts: 159 Just Starting Out

Yeah, I'd especially say the moderators (Aladdin 4d, tddavis, Stargaver 54) and people like jsbarrett (I'm just listing off the top of my head, but there are many more) really help to make this a super supportive and helpful platform.

I pretty much owe my passion to filmmaking from Hitfilm, it's forums and it's software.

(Seriously- I got Hitfilm a few years back, and was immediately inspired to make more stuff).

So thank you all for making this such an awesome place. Good vibes all around.

edited September 2018

@Behind_The_Lens Thank you for the inclusion in a great group, but I hasten to add I'm not a moderator...I don't have the skill or knowledge for that :)  I'm more of a kibbitzer, yeah, that's my title :)

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,036 Ambassador
  • WedgeOzWedgeOz Website User Posts: 204 Enthusiast

And this is what I don't understand about people's comments and ratings of videos on YouTube. I mean, do people peruse YouTube to look at songs etc solely to then give them a "thumbs down" just for the sake of it? When I check out songs on YouTube, I am looking for songs I want to see.......I'm not looking for songs I don't want to OR songs I know I will hate. And then, if I see something that does not interest me, it certainly doesn't warrant me or entice me....to give it any negativity. I think some people spend their lives just wanting to be trolls.....haha

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast

This is just a 2 min. video that says a lot of what is just the normal every day community here. I am sure no one here has made these statements/promises, but just does them because that is who we are.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

Good rules to live by.

• cluelessnubecluelessnube Website User Posts: 476 Just Starting Out

Yea, what the hell is wrong with you people??  Where do you come off being so polite and helpful?  So I log on to the Internuts because I want to be yelled at, and do the logical thing of visiting a forum, I'll try this one, and does anyone yell at me?  NO!  There's no snarky sarcasm, no supposedly oh so witty put downs, no 17 year old mods threatening to ban me because I misspelled a word, nobody telling how totally wrong, Wrong, WRONG I am!   Nothing, just nice nice nice all the day long.  How does FXhome get away with this scam anyway??? 

Hang on, wait a second, I notice now that the forum has at least one crackpot wacko.  Alright, that's good, I feel better now. 

• benjaminhopperbenjaminhopper Website User Posts: 5