How to set project to 4k, and High frame rate to slow motion issues.

alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast
edited August 2018 in Practical Filmmaking

Hi all

Here's two questions that will show you how far I've come.

1: How i set a project to 4k? in the templates menu  have all kinds of 720, 1080, 2k, and 1440, but no 4k. I cant even customize it to more then 2048x2048.  User error i'm sure, but i'm stumped by it. 

2: I have some [email protected] and in another project [email protected] When i bring them into Hitfilm to try slow some slow motion (speed effect), it go's blank after the first frame. I think i have heard someone (i believe it was Palacono) explaining it, but i cant remember which thread it was.

Would appreciate any help here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,947 Enthusiast

0: You failed to mention what software you are using (Express or Pro) and its exact version number. Older versions of Express did not allow 4K resolutions. I think it was Express 2017 that got support for UHD resolution.

1: You set a project to 4k by entering the width and height in the project settings page. These screen shots are from the current Express.

2: You don't want to use the Speed effect for slow motion when you have high speed footage, This is because Hitfilm first conforms the high speed footage to your project frame rate at normal speed before you then run the Speed effect or the rate stretch tool.

Import your footage and then in the media panel change the frame rate to the speed you desire. e.g. For 2x slow motion with 120fps footage set the frame rate to 60fps. Note that your 120fps is probably actually 119.88 so for 2x slow you would actually use 59.94. All this is independent of your project frame rate which might be a common 30/29.97 fps.

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast
    edited August 2018

NormanPCN  

Number 2 sounds like that will work. Thanks.

As for number one however... Even though i also have the latest version of Express, I don't have the same template options, I only have the one's  i mentioned above.

I don't know how or why, but ...

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

@LiamMcM1 You say you have the latest version of Express, but then say you don't have those project preset options that are shown in Norman's screenshot. Either your version assumption is incorrect, or there's definitely something wrong with your install.  What's the exact version number that you see when you click on the "HitFilm Express" logo in the title bar?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,286 Ambassador

@NormanPCN @jsbarrett Hitfilm (both Pro/Express) will limit shown templates to those the user's GPU can support. 4k editing in Hitfilm requires 2GB of VRAM and 8k requires 4GB.

Liam, what's your GPU? It's more likely you're under spec for 4k than your install having a strange bug limiting your resolution. 

That said there is a bug affecting at least some Nvidia cards. My 980m has 8GB of RAM but Hitfilm sees it as a 2GB card. I have no idea why, although the 980m says it can run four 4k displays. There's either something buggy at the Hitfilm end or the 980m splits its VRAM into four 2GB chunks and allocates 2GB to each virtual display.

Annoying as I paid extra for that card specifically to have tons of VRAM in Hitfilm. 

edited September 2018

jsbarrett It's the latest,(9.0.7813.7206) I'm pretty sure of that. Its more likely what triem said.

Under "Display" in DirectX Diagnostic tool. 

Name: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics

Chip Type: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics Processor (0x9851) 

Total Available Graphics Memory: 2287 MB

Not sure if that's it/all.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,286 Ambassador

DirectX Diagnostic hasn't given enough information. "R5" is an AMD GPU series lineup, not a single card. There are several in the series.

I'll throw out this link: https://www.techjunkie.com/check-graphics-card-windows-10/

Depending on what SPECIFIC R5 card you have, it still probably comes down to "card ain't good enough." for example the R5 230 2GB GPU has a max resolution of 2560 x 1600... So an R5 230 can't do 4K.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

I think that's a Radeon R5 m230 with 2GB so you don't have enough video memory to do 4K work and if it really is an m230, you're using a laptop and can't really upgrade that.

Ok, Thanks All. fortunately  I'm not in 4K yet (still 1080 /2K) so it doesn't matter. Actually for now, it was because i have been using hitfilm for a photo editor, and was tired of having to shrink my photos by 50%.  

Anyway i am glad to know that. I can stop busting my brain trying to figure it out and go on with life.

Hitfilm does do a good job as a photo editor. I usually start photo work in Photomatix (for HDR), OnOne PhotoRAW or Affinity Photo (RAW processing), but Hitfilm is my "finishing" tool for a lot of pics. I'm sure if FXHOME were to do something as a "pure" photo editor they'd make a solid product and come up with at least one thing unique in the field. 

If @Aladdin4d is correct and you're on a laptop, well, eventually you'll get a new machine. At that point make sure you get 4GB or more of VRAM so you can go up to 8k.

If you have a desktop piece by piece upgrade is possible, but you'd probably have to upgrade your mobo. 

Triem23 Yep, a laptop, for its cost i am surprised it runs hitfilm at all

Bump

Woohoo, I Can Edit 4k Now!

too bad i'm still in 1080

• bilykingbilyking Website User Posts: 2

Hi Liam

Something else to consider is that if you put 1080 clips into a 4K sequence, Premiere is going to upscale the HD to 4K, which is going to soften/pixelate/degrade the HD to some degree, and then when you export as HD, that degradation will still be there.

So, if you do intend to export as HD, then edit as HD. The 4K content will look great scaled down, and the HD clips will of course be perfect on the export since they have not been upscaled/downscaled, staying native resolution.

For the 4K clips in HD sequence, right click and select "Set to Frame Size". The 4K will then fit the HD frame, however if you wish to use Adobe Motion to reframe the 4K footage at all, you can do so while using all that glorious 4K pixel goodness to your advantage in the HD frame size.

bilyking,  Thanks, but what I meant by "i'm still in 1080" was that my best cameras only shoot 1080, I dont actually need 4k, except of course to edit photos 

Thanks anyway though.