Fan Film Completed

RossTrowbridge
RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
We have completed our Star Trek fan film. Most of the effects were done in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate. 3D animations were done in Electric Image Animation System (EIAS). The final edit was done in Premiere Pro.
It's on the movie wall...
And here is the YouTube link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTD77e1gZ5I&list=UUlAQHtMHs3icC_R34libieg&feature=sharecontrol
This was done by a group of friends. We challenged ourselves to come up with something fun and original. Our actors were worth every cent we paid them (actually not a dime!), but they worked hard to give us a performance we could be happy with. Personally, I think they did great. I ended up being the DP, editor, and visual effects creator.
Now I just need to get that full-sized shuttlecraft out of my garage!
Hope you enjoy it.

Comments

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff
    That was pretty darn epic. 
    I loved the effort you put into this fan film - the plot line, detailing and the scenes where you required a greenscreen were done well - especially the one in the landing dock. I did notice a bit of a keying issue with some of the hair where there was a bit of green spill, making it look a little yellow. How did you go about suppressing the spill when you were making that scene?
    I also noticed a part in the scene outside where they met with the Governor where I think the spaceship they flew in on suddenly disappeared completely when it should have been on the ground behind them - but that may have been the angle of the camera.
    A great job by the crew - I think Captain Trowbridge carried it very well and her acting was very consistent. I must say I loved the bloopers at the end - you should do a short just with those!
    You all looked like you had great fun :) Congrats on a complete fan film!
  • RossTrowbridge

Thanks for the Feedback, Kirstie!
    We did have a lot of fun putting this together. The hangar bay scene was actually shot in a large kitchen. The facility we were in had a large stage where our conference room was built, but it had a creaky wood floor. There was also a "ballroom" area with a creaky wood floor. So we ended up in the kitchen with a nice quiet tiled floor. It did make lighting the actors and green screen a bit of a challenge. I used HitFilm's keyer to do the composite and to despill as much as I could without affecting the key.
    At the Governor's, we tried to pick camera angles after the shuttle landing that wouldn't show where it had landed. It ended up being "just off camera" for a couple of shots, but would never have been visible. I took my green screen to the location to get the shot of the captain and her crewmen walking away from the shuttle.
    We have actually built a full-sized mock-up of the Shuttlepod, but we didn't get the exterior finished in time to haul out to the location. We did get to use the interior of our shuttle during the attack. We plan on using the completed shuttle at Charity events this summer.
    Thanks for watching!

That was pretty darn epic. 
    I loved the effort you put into this fan film - the plot line, detailing and the scenes where you required a greenscreen were done well - especially the one in the landing dock. I did notice a bit of a keying issue with some of the hair where there was a bit of green spill, making it look a little yellow. How did you go about suppressing the spill when you were making that scene?
    I also noticed a part in the scene outside where they met with the Governor where I think the spaceship they flew in on suddenly disappeared completely when it should have been on the ground behind them - but that may have been the angle of the camera.
    A great job by the crew - I think Captain Trowbridge carried it very well and her acting was very consistent. I must say I loved the bloopers at the end - you should do a short just with those!
    You all looked like you had great fun :) Congrats on a complete fan film!
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    I enjoyed that! Everyone did a great job and it looks like it was set in the Trek universe- nicely done. With an
    already-to-go shuttle, do you plan on doing more of these?  
    Kirstie already asked the other question I had and you've answered......so.....
    My only complaint is: Zeus wasn't credited! What's up with that? Xenophobic? ;) lol
    Who was the kitty played by?
  • KirstieT
    Darn it - I knew I'd gotten landing bay wrong - sorry, I meant hangar bay :) 
    It was really in a kitchen? Wow - the power of greenscreen! 

It did make lighting the actors and green screen a bit of a challenge. I used HitFilm's keyer to do the composite and to despill as much as I could without affecting the key.

Well if the lighting was difficult to set up I can see how you had a problem with the greenspill - however, considering you did very well. 
    I would love to see a picture or another short where you include that full sized shuttle. Be sure to put that on here when you use it :) I've watched the bloopers multiple times since just because they make me smile :)

Who was the kitty played by?

Yeah- someone's cat wanted a bit of the limelight :P The dog got some screentime!

• RossTrowbridge
    Stormy,
    Zeus not being credited is a serious oversight on my part. I was up against a deadline and it just slipped my mind. How about this...
    And introducing as Himself, Zeus!
    His special 'ability' actually inspired this whole story.
    This was actually our second video. Our first was kind of a test to see if we could pull it off, but was fun to do.
    http://youtu.be/tppHXPyP0_E

Kirstie,
    I'm attaching a photo I took in the kitchen. It had a fairly low ceiling. The 'counter' on the right is actually a triple sink. We had to put a board on it so we could have a flat space to put our lighting.
    The cat at the end is named 'Diamond.' She showed up at our house one day half-starved. She wanted to be caught, and we were surprised to find out that she had been declawed and neutered by someone who had then dumped her. She can't stand to be around other cats, but loves people.
    We live out in the country on a small farm (mainly horses) and people dump their unwanted cats out here on a somewhat regular basis. Of the eight cats we have in our house and hay barn, only one is a cat we picked out for ourselves. The others are all "adopted." One of our dogs came the same way. We found a litter of puppies across the road last winter. We found homes for two, but kept the runt. 
    I'm glad you're enjoying our bloopers. We laughed a lot during filming.
    We haven't decided what our next film is going to be yet. But I'm sure we'll be back aboard the Rendezvous at some point. Since we already have the shuttle, I'm sure it will be making another appearance. We're also planning on using it at charity events and possibly in a parade or two.
  • KirstieT
    Oh, Diamond sounds lovely - what a cruel person to de-claw her and leave her to fend for herself! 
    The greenscreen you've set up is great - it looks well lit with no wrinkles. Seems there is no major negatives to filming in a kitchen! :)
    Thanks for sharing the picture!
  • RossTrowbridge
    edited February 2014
    The main issue with shooting in the kitchen was with the sound. It introduced some echo. We were able to go with it since the setting was a hangar bay that would have an echo of its own.
    I didn't answer the green screen question very well. We did all the basic green screen setup rules. We had separate lighting for the green screen and actors. We also kept the actors as far away from the screen as possible (about 10 feet in this case). I then moved the camera back as far as possible to get the framing I wanted. All the shots were done without moving the camera. We just moved the actors. Having it blocked out helped a lot.
    One of the fun parts about the hangar scene was my part was to play the Andorian. It was fun afterwards driving home, still bright blue, and seeing the reactions of other drivers. I'm glad I didn't cause any accidents!
    Incidentally, our main makeup person was unavailable that day and our fill-in ended up making me much too blue (you can see it in the bloopers). I had to use Premiere's "Replace with Color" tool to tone it down to an acceptable level. I would love to see that tool included with HitFilm (I've shared that request in the other forum).
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    Yikes! I'd hate to be stuck on a ship cleaning up after the Klingons like the poor captain! ;) 
    Hope you're planning on more fun vids!
  • RossTrowbridge
    StormyKnight,
    We had fun with that one, too. If you look close in the Klingon galley, you'll see a complete set of sheep vertebrae as part of the set dressing (the joys of living on a farm).
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,970 Ambassador
    Hey, that was a fun film! As others have said, it captured the feeling of the TREK universe. The opening sequence with the defense council setting up for the inquiry as the shuttle approaches to "Moonlight Sonata" is a particular standout, since it has a nice lyric feel, while establishing some tension. However, your opening credits sequence shows Capt. Trowbridge has made some questionable choices during her command. Namely: BUZZING THE WARP NACELLES OF A ROMULAN WARBIRD, is she CRAZY?! ;-) It really is a great setup for what's ultimately a "shaggy (green) dog story" and a flatulance joke. Thanks for sharing!
  • StormyKnight
    edited February 2014
    If you look close in the Klingon galley, you'll see a complete set of sheep vertebrae as part of the set dressing (the joys of living on a farm).

Sweeet! I had to go back and take a look and it certainly gives the illusion of being alien.
    Interesting you have a guy with the nickname Rusty Boltz. I wonder if his parents thought of that when they named him. I work with a guy named Eric Rench who has a brother named Allen. Parents can be so cruel. ;) 
    T23- Moonlight Sonata also fits in well with all the classical music they've incorporated into the Trek-verse. I do have to wonder what Beethoven would think....eh- he'd love it. He was quite contemporary for his time. He'd fit right into the 23rd Century. :)

• RossTrowbridge
    Thank you for the feedback. We're looking at doing something non-Star Trek next that we can enter into local film festivals, but I'm sure we'll be back aboard the Rendezvous again. The video is just about to pass 1000 views on YouTube, which I think is great. My channel just passed 100,000 total views, so I'm feeling pretty good about it right now. I'm definitely not a Corridor Digital or FreddieW, but this is my hobby, not my livelihood.
    "Rusty" has commented before that he doesn't appreciate his mother's sense of humor. But he continues to go by Rusty most of the time.
    Zeus is our dog, and he really is just about that toxic.
    As for the Romulan, I have to claim responsibility for that. I'm the animator. I did an animation a few years ago of a battle between the Romulans and the Federation. It was meant to be an attraction that would entice people over to the Star Trek table at a convention (it worked well!). I only had four weeks to render out all the pieces, and then cut them together. One shot showed the Rendezvous flying through a Romulan Warbird just before the Warbird exploded. I wanted to do a better version of that pass, and liked the result so much it ended up in the credits.
    Here is a link to that animated battle...
    http://youtu.be/z9MA9eZBjQo 
  • StormyKnight
    rtrowbridge- The link.......she no work. :D/
    My last name is Hill. Many a day have I thanked my dad for not naming me Clayton....which he seriously considered. The kids at school would have had a field day with Clay Hill. 8-|
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,970 Ambassador
    Oh, I have seen your earlier stuff. The Warbird shot is a redo from that big Romulan/Starfleet battle you did, "Fleet Action," correct?
    Being a "Michael Matthew Miller," I get "M&M" jokes, "Mmmmmmm" jokes, "Miller Beer" jokes, and comments on alliteration. At least I'm not my father, Maxwell Michael Miller... He gets the above, plus "Maxwell House Coffee" cracks. (And "Triem" ="Tri-'M' ;))
  • RossTrowbridge
    edited February 2014
    Where I'm from Tri-M is short for Tri-Miller, a big meat packing plant (pork products). So I apologize in advance for thinking of link sausages when I read your screen name...  8-| 
    I'm a Trow-bridge, so I get Toe-bridge, Toll-bridge, Troll-bridge, and even Thorn-bridge on a regular basis.
    Here is the link to Fleet Action that wasn't working earlier. I had to copy the address from the address bar rather than the Share tab to get it to work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9MA9eZBjQo
  • Triem23
    Yes, but being on a farm, if someone cracks a troll-bridge joke, you might be able to beat the offender to death.... With three goats! *ducks* Sorry. Link sausages? Sigh. Fair enough. ;-)
  • RossTrowbridge
    By a strange coincidence, I happen to own three goats, but only two of them are billy-goats. We're trying to find out what the material is in the "goats on a flexible bridge" video that's going around right now. We want to try it with ours.
    And if you don't 'duck' fast enough (I have 3), I'll either 'goose' (4) you, or maybe get you with a 'rabbit kick' (2). I'm not 'horsing' (10) around! Are you 'chicken?' (24) Or feeling a little 'sheepish?' (2)
    (It's too late to try to come up with something for the llama.)
    And to keep this at least a little on-topic, thanks for taking an interest in my videos on YouTube. It's a fun hobby and HitFilm is a great addition to my other software.
  • Triem23
    edited February 2014
    As Simon Jones says--sometimes a digression is good in a thread. ;-)
    Your next film can be:

Directed By

40 SPECIALLY TRAINED
    ECUADORIAN MOUNTAIN LLAMAS

6 VENEZUELAN RED LLAMAS

142 MEXICAN WHOOPING LLAMAS

14 NORTH CHILEAN GUANACOS
    (CLOSELY RELATED TO THE LLAMA)

REG LLAMA OF BRIXTON

76000 BATTERY LLAMAS
    FROM "LLAMA-FRESH" FARMS LTD. NEAR PARAGUAY

and

TERRY GILLIAM & TERRY JONES

I enjoy watching other people's projects. Often, it's **** inspiring,
    or provides me a challenge to try to recreate--makes me better.
    I mean I've been doing iterations on this Particle Invasion: Los Angles"
    shot that was inspired by Phil Wesson's work.
  • KirstieT
    I would certainly watch a new short film with "142 Mexican Whooping Llamas"
    In fact, I'd watch a film with 1 Mexican whooping llama!
  • RossTrowbridge
    edited February 2014
    Okay, you asked for it...
    Presenting "Captain Trowbridge Had a Farm."
    This was shot 5 or 6 years ago in SD for a local Star Trek film festival. It won, and the llama makes an appearance. It was my wife's idea, but I helped with a bit of the camera work (an old Hi8 camcorder) and cutting it together.
    http://youtu.be/cHKgkLHE3rw
  • StormyKnight
    edited February 2014
    1st- Catching up reading this thread, you all had me laughing so hard I was in tears!
    2nd- Trek + Benny Hill (no relation) theme + farm animals?!?!?! :)) I can die now- I've seen it all. Ee-i-ee-i-o! Best battle cry ever. lol
    3rd- Fun video, rtrowbridge! Seventh Fleet looks like it would be a great time of Trek fellowship.
    4th- Fleet Action was pretty cool. Interesting the Klingon ship was there defending the Federation. I presume this takes place after "The Undiscovered Country"- nice touch. I caught the Holst right away.
    5th- My first name's Preston. I've gotten everything from: pretzel, pencil, Presley, princeton, presto, Prestone, Prestonious (that's Roman I guess) and Priscilla to press a ton & press on nails------ but ya doesn't have to call me Johnson. ;) 
    My dad joked he also considered naming me Overthe Toppathe Hill. 8-|
    If I had a daughter I would name her Yoda Llona Hill (say it fast three times). My son would be Frutov Meloyns.
  • RossTrowbridge
    I don't have much on Preston, other than I live about 15 minutes from Napoleon Dynamite's hometown of PRESTON, Idaho. He had a llama, too! Don't eat at Big J's. It's disappointing, but you can still get Napoleon Dynamite T-shirts there.
    You have an interesting choice in children's names... I'm glad I only had daughters. If I had a son, he could have easily been named William Robert after both grandfathers. That sounds really good until you realize is breaks down to Billy Bob way to easily... 
    So we have llamas covered pretty well. I also have a bird cage, hammer, and nails. All I need now is a Norwegian Blue.
  • Triem23
    Norwegian Blue? Beautiful plumage for an ex-parrot.
  • KirstieT
    rtrowbridge - my hat off to you sir :D
  • StormyKnight
    edited February 2014
    I don't have much on Preston, other than I live about 15 minutes from Napoleon Dynamite's hometown of PRESTON, Idaho. He had a llama, too! Don't eat at Big J's. It's disappointing, but you can still get Napoleon Dynamite T-shirts there.
    If I had a son, he could have easily been named William Robert after both grandfathers. That sounds really good until you realize is breaks down to Billy Bob way to easily... 
    All I need now is a Norwegian Blue.

I wonder how a tropical bird came by the name Norwegian. They are beautiful!
    Loved Napoleon Dynamite and I'll have to add Preston, Idaho to my 'hope to visit someday' list along with the place in New Hampshire that uses my whole name- Preston Hill.....but it's an actual hill.
    Billy Bob. :)) You're in the wrong part of the country for that name anyway.
    Sorry to ramble- looking forward to your next vid venture!

• RossTrowbridge
    edited February 2014
    I have my local PBS station to thank for my love of British comedy. I grew up watching Monty Python, Hitchhiker's Guide, Red Dwarf, Doctor Who, Fawlty Towers, and Are You Being Served (among others). The British mystery shows were also great. Sergeant Cribb was a favorite. A local independent TV station played Benny Hill for years at 10:00 PM.
    Oh, the Klingon ship that shows up in 'Fleet Action' is the same ship that appears in 'The Game.' There's a big back story of the the Rendezvous and VaQwI. Our club  has been going since the early '90s and there are over sixty short stories written about the Rendezvous and its crew. The VaQwI appeared when part of the club came to the decision that they wanted to be Klingons in the stories, but still be part of the main club. It has made for some of our best stories. Plus, all those stories are a great source of ideas for future videos!
    We premiered this video four weeks ago now at the annual "Seventh Fleet Admiral's Banquet." There were almost 100 people in attendance from the various clubs in the fleet. We held the banquet in the squeaky floor ballroom of the facility where we shot the inquiry room scene (and shuttle bay). We filed everyone into the theater and projected it onto a 30 foot screen. We tied into the theater's sound system, too, so it sounded great. We got an even better response from the group than we had hoped for.
  • RossTrowbridge
    edited April 2014
    Kind of a quick update on this project. The shuttle we built for the film finally got it's exterior finished. We were able to use the interior during filming, but I had to CGI all the exterior shots. We're taking to FanX in Salt Lake City this weekend to use for a charity fundraiser. I think it turned out great!
  • StormyKnight
    LOL- Stay frosty. Is that Star Fleet Regulation?
    Looks awesome! Good luck on the fundraiser! May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your planet.
  • RossTrowbridge
    Thanks, Stormy. The shuttle survived the 100 mile trip without a hitch. All our tools and paint to rebuild the thing weren't needed after all. 30 mph crosswinds weren't very fun, though. The convention starts tomorrow!
    Our film is now just over 2300 views, so we're really happy about that.
  • StormyKnight
    Thanks, Stormy. The shuttle survived the 100 mile trip without a hitch. All our tools and paint to rebuild the thing weren't needed after all. 30 mph crosswinds weren't very fun, though. The convention starts tomorrow!
    Our film is now just over 2300 views, so we're really happy about that.

Here's a little tip for next time- just fly it there already! :)
    2300 views! Holy catsaroni! Yay!!!!!